Pat Lefemine 18-Aug-21
BigEight 18-Aug-21
Stressless 18-Aug-21
Stressless 18-Aug-21
Bow Crazy 19-Aug-21
BigEight 19-Aug-21
Pat Lefemine 19-Aug-21
18-May-21
Ok I've been doing some research. One You Tuber recommended if I have a good stand now of perennials (Mine is clovers in with wheat) to leave it alone. Don't plow it under to plant a fall crop. The deer did love it last fall. It was just getting started last fall looking more like a golf green. Now its up and doing good. So should I spray it with something to kill what weeds are mixed in? And will it still be doing good this fall. It's about a 2 acre plot. I do have more pasture in front but deer only hit that at night. And more along a narrow strip on my fence line maybe 12' wide that's just in grass now. Last year I burned the edges which seemed to draw them in as well.

18-May-21
Deer eat some weeds, thier not all bad. Mow your plot once a month til Labor Day and your clover will turn out great as long as thier isn’t prolonged periods without rain

18-May-21
I keep my clover mowed mostly but usually once a year I will spray it with Butyrac 200 and Clethodim. One kills grass and the other weeds. Be aware that Cleth works better on grass that’s young and tender and it doesn’t kill it quickly.

18-May-21
Probably be better to just mow it a few times vs spraying it now. Spraying is way more effective when the weeds are smaller. Most broadleaf weeds are relatively easy to control by mowing. Grasses, not as much.

19-May-21
What depth should I set the blades to?

19-May-21
Everytime you till you just bring more weed seed to the surface.

19-May-21
I let my wheat/clover plots go until fall. I do Throw-n-mow so I like to have the thatch to plant into for my fall mix. I plant awnless wheat and the deer vacuum up the heads in July. Weeds don't bother me, they get browsed as much as what I plant.

Here is what I do with my wheat/clover; let it go all summer, broadcast wheat seed right before a rain, mow. This lets me have some cereal grains mixed into a clover plot without redoing the whole thing. I will have a strong clover plot with some wheat in it.

My wheat plots; let it go all summer, spray gly early fall, broadcast wheat right before a rain, mow. This will make a strong wheat field for the winter and spring.

19-May-21
Go to Meat Eater and look up deer weed article. Gives you the top weeds deer love. You wouldn’t want to waste time and money killing something deer want to eat.

25-May-21
Do you burn your food plots and if so when? Or just the fringes up to the food plots?

26-May-21
Also can you spray with a herbacide like Glyphosate after you mow or only before you plant your initial crop?

14-Aug-21
hello guys, does anyone know if the deer like tamarind I'm thinking of placing ones, in my space that I have thought for them or better I choose something more classic for them?

14-Aug-21
In general Mow 8 inches high. Leaves a lot of luscious leaves still intact.

18-Aug-21

Bow Crazy's Link
There is a great article in the most recent issue of "Quality Whitetails" about mow vs. mow. What does the science say? You would be surprised, quite different that what we all have been taught. In the spring I spray my clover plots with Butyrac 200 and Clethodim to help control the grass and weeds. I only mow once a year, mid to late July when wet weather allows. Let it go for the rest of the year. I go into the fall with mega amounts of food and great nutrition.

Check out the link, another food plot myth busted on the link as well. BC

18-Aug-21
"There is a great article in the most recent issue of "Quality Whitetails" about mow vs. mow. What does the science say? You would be surprised, quite different that what we all have been taught. In the spring I spray my clover plots with Butyrac 200 and Clethodim to help control the grass and weeds. I only mow once a year, mid to late July when wet weather allows. Let it go for the rest of the year. I go into the fall with mega amounts of food and great nutrition. Check out the link, another food plot myth busted on the link as well. BC"

Not surprising at all. I've been saying the same thing for years. Check out this info about natives and their palpability, protein content, months they are useful and preferred, etc. "Weeds" aren't bad at all (for deer). It's a good read, or at least look at the graphs. https://www.noble.org/globalassets/docs/ag/pubs/wildlife/nf-wf-04-02.pdf

18-Aug-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
You have to love these theories from the habitat guys.

Seriously, many weeds are edible in the summer but left unchecked they choke out or at best, seriously diminish your perennials. If that happens you’ll have nothing of any nutritional value in the fall or early spring when deer need those perennial plots.

Despite what these guys say to generate clicks and sell articles, I’ll stick with the time tested and simple strategies of early spring spraying and regular clipping of my perennial plots throughout the summer.

This is not rocket science.

18-Aug-21
Cutting weeds in perennial plots is the easiest and most effective way to control broadleaf weeds. Pat, nice veiny appendage. HAHAHA

18-Aug-21

18-Aug-21

Stressless's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Stressless's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

LoL -- yep, This plot was a solid rye crop last year, frost seeded legumes into the rye March, hit with IMOX in Apr.

BFT, Clover and Chicory. Mowed once in Jul.

19-Aug-21
It's not the "habitat guys" telling you to mow more often, it's science. I always follow the science as much as I can. From the study at the University of Tennessee mowing less has greater benefits than mowing more often. I started mowing once a year in 2016, added a spring spaying in my regiment in 2017 and have had amazing results. I have a stand of Alfalfa, Clover and Chicory that is in it's third year and looks amazing. My only mowing is in July, as with weather allows. I go into to the fall with tons of food that is all consumed by year end. Consider listening to the science then you have to do what works for you, do what you are comfortable doing while listening to what the deer are telling you. BC

19-Aug-21
I'm in central wisconsin. I guess when I say I mow often that really is only twice. That is often to me with the 3 days of growing season we have. HA!

19-Aug-21
Bow crazy, I was not referring to your posted article. I’m referring to the first post where the YouTube habitat guy says mowing perennials is not necessary. Sorry if I was unclear.

• Sitka Gear