Bou'bound 22-May-21
Catscratch 22-May-21
LKH 22-May-21
Shuteye 23-May-21
Bou'bound 23-May-21
Bou'bound 23-May-21
wild1 23-May-21
19-May-21
Got a rabbit in the garden. I would prefer to relocate him in the woods for fall harvest. I have live traps - any ideas for bait? Also any clue how far to move him to discourage garden reentry?

19-May-21
Carrots and four miles

19-May-21
Obnoxious roadrunner,...tall cliff,...Acme vise. Problem solved!

19-May-21
apple slices

19-May-21
Apples or lettuce work great. No idea on distance to move. For me it’d be less then 200’ to a cast iron skillet.

19-May-21
.17 HMR in between the eyes

19-May-21
gunny for the win, eliminate them

I live in town, and somebody turned rabbits lose about 3 years ago. I cannot trap them fast enough. I started live trapping them and relocating them. I soon felt guilty because I just moved my problem to somebody else's neighborhood. So I started blunting them and eliminating them. But as a town dweller, I do not have any good / safe shots at our flower gardens, or veggie garden, so I ended up putting on a sneak around the neighbors house and shooting back into my yard. OOOPS now I have an angry neighbor.

The issue is if my dogs get let out of the house/car/leash anywhere there is not fencing, the chase is on. My son's dog chased all the way to the main street and got hit. My dog is getting close enough to killing them that she is hard to call off. She has killed one and has come back with a mouth full of fur one time that I know of.

They are a pest/nuisance/garden eating/flower killing pain in the #@#%.

kill and feel no regret.

oz

19-May-21
Baiting of rabbits has been out-lawed in KS ;?)

19-May-21
You have one in the garden... only one?!? Sounds like a blessing. Where I'm at there is no such thing as "a" rabbit hitting the garden. Kind of like say they have 1 yote or 1 trashpanda hitting the chicken coop.

Seriously though, if I had to bet I doubt a relocated rabbit survives more than a single night in it's new surroundings. I'm with the guys that say eliminate it. Make a game out of it; hunt it with bb-gun or judo points on your bow. Have some fun and hone your skills.

19-May-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

19-May-21
Though not with a bow, I crack my garage door and lay prone on the floor with my pellet gun..in the dark. Enough light comes in to see through the scope and let em have it. I try to position so a boulder or bush is behind him, but if you don't have that, maybe raise up to shoot down. Clean him up, freeze in saltwater...save for stew.

Note, I also read that the old sayin is true...rabbits can breed multiple times a year, so they will keep on coming back.

20-May-21
Juicy fruit gum

20-May-21
I leave the rabbits alone in my yard. (But the grackles die from sudden bouts of lead poisoning!)

I only have several plants that the rabbits cause problems (clematis, pansies, hostas) I spray them with a rabbit repellent. Reapply every 7-10 days.

The hawks/owls take care of the population also. I don't worry, God will make more!

21-May-21
I do get them with an air rifle but they get smart and hear the window opening most times. Plus they are at random times of day & night. We have 3 dogs and a fenced in yard. I think the dogs make them really nervous and keeps them on high alert - thus not easy to get a clean shot. I ran chicken wire around the bottom 18" of the fence - it really helps. Once the rabbit cares enough to come in I have to kill it.

4 miles seems FAR - that is no happening. 1/3 of a mile is best I am doing. Might paint them to see if they come back!

22-May-21
All the studies with radiotelemetry tracking of cottontails to establish home ranges has indicated males will return to a food source 80% of the time if they’re moved 2 miles or less if they’re moved 4 miles only 2% will return to the food source females have much smaller home ranges so before you determine how far to move that rabbit you need to examine itTo determine the sex and that will give you the indication of how far you need to move it tough to argue with science

22-May-21
"Might paint them to see if they come back!"

I've been known to paint opposums with green and orange Halloween hair paint, then turn themoose in town.

22-May-21
To keep critters out of our garden I have a 10" fence with about 2' of chicken wire on the bottom. Then I trap the pocket gophers out near the garden. Raspberry patch has 5' plus chicken wire.

Girl rabbit would be best bait since you refer to it as "him".

23-May-21

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Apples will catch lots of animals, including rabbits. Even catches fox. I don't live in town so I would just shoot a problem rabbit with a 22. The trap will catch rabbits and i always use apples since it will catch anything. i trapped five raccoons at the neighbors house and used apples to avoid catching her cats.

23-May-21
All the studies with radiotelemetry tracking of cottontails to establish home ranges has indicated males will return to a food source 80% of the time if they’re moved 2 miles or less if they’re moved 4 miles only 2% will return to the food source females have much smaller home ranges so before you determine how far to move that rabbit you need to examine itTo determine the sex and that will give you the indication of how far you need to move it tough to argue with science

23-May-21
Carrots and four miles

23-May-21
Rabbits will eat almost anything, carrots, apples and lettuce for sure. If you want to speed up the process, fill a spray bottle with a bit of apple juice (you can always dilute with water), and spray around the trap, including the back of the trap).

• Sitka Gear