Bugler 23-May-21
Bugler 23-May-21
whipranger 23-May-21
Rob in VT 23-May-21
whipranger 23-May-21
Rickm 23-May-21
whipranger 23-May-21
22-May-21
Has anyone ever hiked up into the Sangres from the west side?

Would love to pick your brain if you’re willing to share!

22-May-21
Has anyone ever hiked up into the Sangres from the west side?

Would love to pick your brain if you’re willing to share!

22-May-21
Think that would be unit 84. 86 is on the east side. Hunted there is ‘03 for deer and didn’t see any elk where we were above timberline.

23-May-21
I’ve hunted 85 and 83

23-May-21
Don’t waste your time there. I lived in it growing up and my parents had an outfitting business and we rarely ever hunted it. Very few elk

23-May-21

23-May-21
Whipranger I goofed it’s actually unit 82.

Still feel the same?

23-May-21
Whipranger I goofed it’s actually unit 82.

Still feel the same?

23-May-21
Not really. Big really steep mountains with very low population. I know the DOW says there are good numbers but all those elk live on or around the Great Sand Dunes Preserve. The rest of 82 only has a few elk. They should do an actual count of huntable elk. Not the couple thousand in the park

23-May-21
I have hunted the Bacca in 82. Fair amount of elk but very opened and not much cover. Like walking on the beach with all the sand.

23-May-21
The baca is part of the dunes and has special regulations. I definitely wouldn’t waste time trying to hunt it. Pretty open flat sandy country you can see elk but getting in bow range is difficult and any pressure and they return to the Dunes NP

23-May-21
Killed my best bull in 82 back in 2011. Only reason I will go back is to see my buddy who lives there. Baca , sand dunes and private pull the majority of the elk. I am getting to old for the Sangres. There are still some elk, beautiful country, better be in shape!

23-May-21
I’m not saying you can’t kill elk there but their are a bunch of better, and less physical otc units. Sangres are wilderness also so that brings tons of hiker/backpackers

• Sitka Gear