mustbowhunt 23-May-21
Mark 23-May-21
Mark 23-May-21
Mark 23-May-21
Mark 23-May-21
mustbowhunt 23-May-21
Mark 23-May-21
23-May-21
Would have to refer to a thread many years ago about the Sheldon National Antelope Refuge where NVdrhntr wrote that even with the decline of deer numbers there, when it comes time to fill out the application, the Sheldon slips into one of the 5 choices. That is exactly what happened to me this year, and I drew an archery deer tag. Who'd a thunk it? I hunted the Sheldon in the 70's when you could just buy a tag and hunt there. Never realized how blessed I was in those"good ole days". I know the deer numbers are down, the horse numbers are up, and the cheat grass reins supreme. But, I am going because the Sheldon really is a special place. And, that high desert environment, spot and stalk mule deer with a bow just can't be beat. My biggest concern with the Sheldon is access to the areas that hold some deer with a vehicle/atv. I was told all the roads have been closed, not because of fire, just closed to all vehicles. Not sure if thats true or not. I am 72 yrs old and if say Catnip Mt. doesn't have a single road to access its interior I am in a world of hurt. Its too far to walk in there from road 8A, shoot a buck, and pack him out. Same for all the other high elevation peaks, ie. Badger Mt. I'll scout the area for access and camping before the season. Right now I am trying to figure out what I need for this hunt before then. Am even thinking e-bike, but not sure their legal either. Please help me with what you know about the Sheldon more currently than my outdated info. I'll try to return the favor to you. ps. I drew the tag with just 3 p. points.

23-May-21
Have not hunted it but went through there a couple years ago, awesome place. I did run into a guy who hunted it last year with his friend and he made it sound like it was really good! Which was surprising from what I have been hearing over the last few years....that’s all I have good luck!!!!

23-May-21
Thank you Recall if you saw a sign on every rough road leaving the main roads that said, "No Vehicles Allowed"! ?

23-May-21
Look on the Website for Sheldon Wildlife Refuge. It has a map of open roads. You can also call and talk to someone at there Refuge Headquarters.

23-May-21
I had a sheep tag in 2010, there were horses everywhere. Lots of great Antelope also. Hardly saw any deer.

23-May-21
Drew a archery antelope tag in 2019. You couldn’t find a horse and very few antelope. Never saw a great antelope. I did however see a dandy Mule Deer. It’s definitely a special place.

23-May-21
I’m sure if you’ve hunted there you know about Rattle Snakes ?? Had a couple close calls.

23-May-21
Thanks Mark. I did printout the refuge map. Doesn't show many roads compared to what I see on Google Earth. Am hoping those are still open roads, not posted, and just not drawn in on the refuge map because they are nasty. That's what I am trying to find out. I'll call the refuge. Yuk on the Rattlers. Probably more now that they have removed some horses. I had a close encounter in X5B last season. Got bit on the ankle in 4th grade, so I have the draw! Once I am in Rattler country now, they come to me like ugly on an ape! Don't hesitate to tell me about the Dandy Buck! Thanks for the reply.

23-May-21
Sent you a PM. Good Luck on the hunt. There's a little waterhole where I saw the Deer. Mark

• Sitka Gear