Ranger66 26-May-21
WapitiBob 26-May-21
WYOelker 26-May-21
Buglmin 26-May-21
Ranger66 26-May-21
JohnMC 26-May-21
Buglmin 27-May-21
26-May-21
I am heading into the south end of Colorado Zone 751 in mid-September with my 77 year old hunting buddy. Using a smoke pole instead of my bow due to the fact that we will be useing Bugle em Up outfitters for easier access for my buddy. Looking for advice on prevailing winds in this area, water availability at this time of year and any other bits of good information that would help me get my buddy his first elk. I have even thought of hauling in my climber to give him a place to sit in case the terrain is too difficult (however he is in AMAZING shape for his age and has been training like a deamon since December).

HIS success is my mission and ANY words of wisdom from you experts will be greatly apprecaited.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Ranger66

26-May-21
I would have asked the outfitter before I hired them.

26-May-21
First off this would be great conversations to have with the outfitter. Winds usually unpredictable in early hours but as sun rises they move up slope. One piece of advice, elevation acclimation. Even in great shape high country is hard on the body. One piece of advice I would give is getting to the area early as much as a week to acclimate to elevation.

26-May-21
When you say the southern end of 751, you're talking of being put on private, right? over 80% of 751 in private, and everything below Vallecito lake to the NM state line is private and Southern Ute. If you;re talking north of Vallecito lake, middle mountain area, you're talking steep country and lots of hunters. And with four other outfitters that have camps from the lake up to the boundary of 76, it can be kinda busy in there. If we have another dry year, water won't be very plentiful and most of the water will be along the pine river. Good luck with your hunt.

26-May-21
Thank you for the insight folks! Roxy gonna be between lemon reservoir and Valencito. That’s great advice about getting in early and we plan to do so as much as possible. Need to capitalize on our time indeed. I’ve been watching the weather through the last number of months and it does seem to be extremely dry so will be looking for water etc. I do understand there’s gonna be other Packers in the area another hunters but that’s just the cards were dealt at this time and will deal with it. Greatly appreciate all your input folks! Hunt hard shoot straight and smile if you get anything on the ground.

26-May-21
Are you hunting with a outfitter or doing a drop camp?

27-May-21
I know the area where you'll be hunting. Remember that guys come in from lemon lake and the subdivision, so don't expect to have the area all to yourself. Youll be spending more time above lemon, cause the area heading towards Vallecito is extremely steep and rugged. And to the west, you'll have missionary ridge. You're not gonna find a lot of water or ponds. There will some seeps and springs. Good luck

• Sitka Gear