newfi1946moose 01-Jun-21
wytex 01-Jun-21
Mint 06-Jun-21
t-roy 06-Jun-21
dizzy_higg 07-Jun-21
fuzzy 07-Jun-21
JL 09-Jun-21
27-May-21
An open question out of curiosity. Who has a lifetime hunting/fishing license and from what state?

While I was a Florida res.....I got a lifetime gold sportsman's license that covers most everything. It is still good even though I'm a res in another state.

27-May-21
I have one for NY state. Have had it for 14 years. I moved the year after I bought it!

27-May-21
I bought a lifetime NC hunting license last year before I moved to TN. I’m only a half hour away from public hunting there so it was a good investment for me.

27-May-21
^....I viewed mine as an investment when I got it back in 2010. It was a little over $1000. It's already paid for itself and now I'm riding free.

27-May-21
Both, KS

27-May-21
I moved from MN in 2006. I bought lifetime fishing licenses for me and my wife. I bought a lifetime archery deer license at the same time. These were purchased before our move out of state. Good purchase because we live 4 miles from state border.

27-May-21
Lifetime hunting license in Kansas

27-May-21
I bought 3 lifetime sportsman licenses in 1984 in NC. One for me ($300), one for my wife ($300), and one for our son (less than 1 year old - $100). It was tough at the time but best $700 I ever spent!

27-May-21
No option in Iowa unless you are a disabled or POW vet.

27-May-21
Mine is in CO and it was free, DAV.

27-May-21
I earned my free lifetime hunting & fishing license when I turned 65- Mississippi. I paid (as I remember) $5 for for lifetime saltwater license, just in case I need it.

27-May-21
Not available in these parts - as if any New England damnyankee state government was gonna miss out on cashing in every year ;-)

27-May-21
Purchased Kansas lifetime hunting license in 1986 for something like $300. Left the state in 1988 but have been back hunting either birds (Including turkey) or archery deer as well as calling coyotes nearly every year. Obviously a decent investment!

27-May-21
I have firearms deer and small game/fishing combo for Minnesota. I need to live 10.7 years longer to reach the break even point.

27-May-21
If you purchase and Arizona lifetime license and then move in a short 4 years it’s paid for- annnnndddd- your in the preference pool with the residence for life. That’s the best $500 a guy can spend

27-May-21
Iowa at age 65 Midwest. I have one. Still have to buy Deer or Turkey tag. I wish I had bought in my home state of Ill. b/4 moving.. My side of family lives in Ill.

27-May-21
Purchased a lifetime hunting/fishing license here in Oklahoma in 1994, for $400. Absolutely the best money I’ve ever spent. I actually sold some old Toyota SR5 4x4 parts to buy it. Word had it that they were about to double in price. Even now at double the price, if you’re an outdoorsman that loves hunting and fishing, it’s still well worth it.

27-May-21
Both in OK.

28-May-21
Also a Okie combo. About the same time as Rick for $400. Moved to CO after college. Go back to OK every year probably pays for itself every year.

28-May-21
As a disabled vet, I got one free from Maine because I live in NH. NH won't give me one because I am 80%, but in Maine if you are 50%+ and a resident of NH, VT or Maine (of course) you get one free.

Go Figure.

TMBB

28-May-21
Purchased my Indiana lifetime comprehensive hunting license in 2001 ($500). Covers everything except a federal duck stamp. Paid for itself within five years. Program was discontinued in 2005 citing predicted losses to future F&G revenue. Bought one for my son before they closed the window. Some of the best $$$ I ever spent!

FYI, the lifetime license money was originally invested in an account that "belonged" to F&G. Revenue from that account was intended to sustain the program. Politicians "stole" that money...and the lifetime license program bit the dust shortly after.

28-May-21
Paul, nothing sticks in a politicians craw like money they can't access for their own schemes. Dedicated funding upsets their digestion something awful.

28-May-21
"Iowa at age 65 Midwest."

Fishing only. Maybe they used to offer the hunting as well but now it's only if you're over 65 and below the poverty level, permanently disabled, disabled or POW vet.

28-May-21
Had my FL lifetime license since I was 8. Cost around 300$(I think) back then. I’d say I’ve got my money’s worth in the last 33 years with all the fishing and hunting I do. Already bought lifetimes for both my daughters.

28-May-21
Wife bought mine for me years ago best investment ever made -other than marrying her! Bought Daughter and Son in law theirs a couple of years ago. Grandson's was bought by son in laws co workers :)

28-May-21
I’ve got one in Alabama. Lifetime hunting AND fishing. Have had it since ‘78. Dad gifted one to me and my brother. One nice thing, since Alabama has instituted add-ons, I’ve been “grandfathered” in… I.e saltwater fishing license.

28-May-21
Both, Ks

28-May-21
Senior lifetime license in West Virginia cost $25.00. Covers fishing and hunting.

28-May-21
Both my wife and I purchased ours in Tennessee many moons ago great investment. I got them for all my great nephews.Good luck Lewis

28-May-21
I sterted to several years ago, but then I did the math and before it paid for itself I would have been on the Old Fart plan, which is where I am now.......

28-May-21
Oklahoma & Kansas...as Rick stated "best money I've ever spent".

28-May-21
Oklahoma. dad got me and my brothers one for Christmas in the late 70's. $125 bucks, what a steal!

28-May-21
I got financially obliterated in my 2006 divorce. 45 Hard earned acres & house in Indiana stolen. Company funds embezzled. Kids college funds raided. All on top of 20 years of the ex’s unemployment. But lone positive that came out of it was she filed in I believe June and I was forced out of my house, so I promptly rented a home just over the Illinois state line by like 100 yards! Legit. First thing then was to build a paper trail.........IL driver’s license, parking permit, voter’s registration, etc. Everything I could find. Then after 32 days, I filed for the $190 Illinois LL and waited. Yikes did the ILDNR do a thorough job investigating. Even went to my old Indiana house and knocked on all the neighbor’s doors to check if they had seen me around there in the last month! Then came to my door unannounced and interrogated me for an hour. The officer acted surprised I was legit. I asked him how often he found a fraudulent application and he said I was in the 20% legit. So 80% fraudulent! Anyway it went to Springfield for police processing, during which time the state stopped offering them for those who then moved out of state. But mine was the last to arrive in Springfield before the change. So I got it a month later. By far the best investment of my life. I ended up living in Illinois for 13 years until my job allowed me to relocate back to Indiana to buy a house. I took advantage of my license immediately and now get two IL buck tags/year for $52 and apply in all the special draws cheap. Was especially good. Cause Indiana has horrible buck quality on the public due to a 16 day peak rut gun hunt with no quotas, and 3 month crossguns for 9 years, and very few public properties with no barrier to entry. I will never deer hunt here, despite living here for low taxes and low cost of living. Got my revenge on corrupt IL politicians by taking full advantage of my LL to recoup my past high taxes they used to buy state employee votes in exchange for bloated pensions bankrupting the state. Just one nonresident deer tag there costs like $600 these days.

28-May-21
I have a lifetime archery deer license in MN that I received as a college graduation present in 2001. It allows me to hunt on the home farm without having to buy an expensive non resident license.

28-May-21
Bought a lifetime hunting license here in Alabama in 1980 for 200 bucks and worth every penny. I could have spent another $100 to add lifetime fishing but don't fish enough to make it worthwhile. After 64 years of age here you get them free.

28-May-21
Both. Louisiana

28-May-21
Bought a Lifetime Hunting License here in Alabama back in '82, money well spent. I only wish I had purchased a Lifetime Fishing License as well.

28-May-21
Looks like Indiana discontinued the hunting LL in 2005, which is OK cause I won't deer hunt here. But as some have mentioned here I looked up and they do have senior fishing for life at age 64, which I will cash in on in 2 more years.

28-May-21
At one time, Michigan had a lifetime license and they did away with it. I suggested/requested they bring it back.

28-May-21
I have one in Michigan cost $1000 years ago !! Cover's just about everything, except elk application, turkey app. and doe permits !!

28-May-21
Bought the combo in 1994 at age 11. Best $400 I’ve ever spent. It seams like a lot of us okies got them in 94.

28-May-21
Kansas Hunt for me.

28-May-21
I bought the hunt/fish combo some 20 years ago in Nebraska. Got both my boys the same as Christmas gifts one year. Good investment!

28-May-21
I got an AZ lifetime hunt/fish license for my birthday last year. The gift that keeps on giving.

28-May-21
In Florida residents over 65 do not need a hunting or fishing license. I made it there. That's as close to a life time license as you can get :).

28-May-21
Alaska has a free lifetime hunting and fishing license for residents aged 60+ and disabled veterans. Any benefit from another state for residency disqualifies.

28-May-21
Lifetime in Az and Ca for me. I kept my Ca points and will be in the Az resident pool for the rest of my life, no matter where I live. Ed F

28-May-21
Arizona Pioneer license as of this year.

28-May-21
MY wife,myself and I bought my 2 daughters one the week they were born.I will be spending alot more but will buy my grandchild one in Oct when born.

28-May-21
Before I left CA 7 years ago, I bought a lifetime hunting license and the lifetime deer/pig tag for a grand total of around $1500.

28-May-21
I do. WV is the state.

28-May-21
Idaho - Bought mine in 1998 and it has well paid for itself years ago. In Idaho if you buy it for your kids before the age of 2 it's only like $201, but it goes up $500 after age 2 I think. Both my boys had theirs at age 1 and this spring I got to see both my boys harvest spring gobblers, sadly their mom went to heaven in Feb. and didn't get to enjoy it with us. MONEY well spent for those memories and many more to come for us though.

28-May-21
Got my NY lifetime sportsman 10 years ago.

28-May-21
Bought Arizona Lifetime Hunting License years ago, although G&F screwed me on the cost of it at the time because of their incompetence. Still, I'm sure I came out better over time. Arizona also has a Pioneer License, as bowbender mentioned, that's free for those that are longtime residents of AZ and over 70. I'll have to wait a while to get my fishing for free when I turn 70.

28-May-21
Indiana comprehensive hunting and fishing license since 2004. Undoubtedly some of the very best money I have ever spent!!! Pete

28-May-21
I have one in California were I grew up. I use it from time to time, mostly for fishing, bird hunting and deer hunting on our families property! Worth every penny to me! Almost all of my family still lives there! I hate that state, but I spend quite a bit of time there, I just try and make the most out of it!

28-May-21
CA and AZ.....max points for elk and sheep in CA so I needed it before I left.

28-May-21
Born and raised in AZ, moved away for schooling and a job. Couldn’t afford the lifetime license as a poor student with a family and didn’t buy one before I left. Stupidest decision I’ve ever made. Wish I would have put it on a high-interest credit card or something—ANYTHING—to get that license. It would have been a game changer—both financially and in the number of tags I could have drawn over the past 20 years, not to mention for the rest of my life. It still hurts to think about.

28-May-21
I have a KS hunt/fish. For about 20 some years. Best money ever spent.

29-May-21
Got my FREE lifetime hunting/fishing/trapping here in Alaska when I turned 60.

Pete

29-May-21
midwest-must have changed as I have both (15 years ago). Oh, I'm poor but not poverty or disabled

29-May-21
NY Lifetime Sportsman and Archery probably 25 years ago.

29-May-21
I have the hunting in Oklahoma since 1992 $300. Need to buy the fishing now.

29-May-21
It's nice to see so many folks invested up front in these lifetime licenses. Judging by the comments, it appears to be a lot more common than I would have guessed. My mom bought her grandson (my nephew) a Florida gold lifetime license about 10 years ago for his birthday. Years later, he later told me that was one of the best gifts he ever received. My younger brother bought the Florida lifetime fishing one. He's not a hunter. Ya....looking back to 2010 when I got that gold license.....as many times as I've snow-birded to Florida and hunted and fished there it was beyond a great investment, especially since I am no longer a FL res. I would suggest to anyone with young kids to pay up front now in a lifetime license as it is usually cheaper the younger they are. They make a great gifts.

29-May-21
Just purchased my NY lifetime license this year. Had considered it for many years and definitely should have taken the plunge all those years ago.

29-May-21
"...a lifetime license as it is usually cheaper the younger they are."

Is that really a thing in your state? In Arizona, it's far more expensive the younger they are, because they will have more years of free use. I would think that would be the case everywhere?

29-May-21
^.....I know Florida is cheaper the younger you are.

29-May-21
I have a 4 day old grandchild. Our first. In VT it is much cheaper to buy the license before the child is one. I am buying her VT lifetime license this week. Wherever she lives in the future hopefully she will come home and hunt with her Papa!

30-May-21

Zim's Link
https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/coyote-lifetime-hunting-license

30-May-21
“FYI, the lifetime license money was originally invested in an account that "belonged" to F&G. Revenue from that account was intended to sustain the program. Politicians "stole" that money...and the lifetime license program bit the dust shortly after.”

pav, Blagojavich did the same thing twice in Illinois with the state sportsmen’s fund all to fund million dollar state employee pensions. It seems more and more state’s DNR’s power these days is stolen by greased politicians and special interest group coin. I take offense to donation requests at the end of my nonresident hunt applications. Really? As if I don’t give enough to corrupt politicians, outfitter welfare, etc. just to try and access federal land the NAMWC outlines.

30-May-21
I have a 4 day old grandchild. Our first. In VT it is much cheaper to buy the license before the child is one. I am buying her VT lifetime license this week. Wherever she lives in the future hopefully she will come home and hunt with her Papa!

30-May-21

Barron114's embedded Photo
Barron114's embedded Photo
I have mine here in Georgia. I also got them for all 3 of my sons. Not sure if this is still the case, but the cost for most of us was $500, but if you bought one for someone prior to their 16th birthday day it was $250, and before their 1st birthday it was only $100. My youngest got a lifetime liscence for his 1st birthday. The only gift he has ever gotten that still fits.

30-May-21
midwest- I think you are a little confused... Yes, there is a (free) lifetime license for POW or disabled vets, but there is also a lifetime license available for those 65 and older (for a one time fee). Also, there is no habitat fee required for those 65 and older.

30-May-21
I have them in 2 states Tennessee and Georgia. Paid for themselves already. Western states get all my money now!

30-May-21
I live on the TN/NC state line and have 4 children under 10 years old. For each of their first birthdays we bought them lifetime in both states. My two oldest(8 & 10) filled buck tags in both states this year. Well worth $400

31-May-21
I bought the Kansas lifetime hunting license when I lived there in the mid '90's. Well worth the $300 price tag at that time.

01-Jun-21
WV, I’ve had it over 30 years

01-Jun-21
Moved to ok twelve years ago. All cost me $25. Nice!

01-Jun-21
Lifetime game bird, small game, fishing and conservation stamp license in Wyoming. Spouse has a lifetime Texas license and the same Wyoming license as me with a lifetime archery license in Wyoming as well.

06-Jun-21
I bought mine at least two increases ago around 1999 I think. The price has more than doubled and it includes free doe and turkey tags. I ought the sportsmans license in NYS so it includes Big Game, Small Game and fishing. I also bought the lifetime Bow hunting license at the same time.

06-Jun-21
Same as EmbryO and JohnMC. Got my Oklahoma combo hunt/fish license in the early 80s for $400 or $425. Definitely been worth every penny. Moved back to Iowa in ‘97, but just the turkey tags I’ve filled down there since ‘97 have WAY more than paid for it.

07-Jun-21
The best 18th birthday present ... or any birthday present i ever got. Ranks right above the 16th which was my very own Martin lynx compound And so the adventure began!

07-Jun-21
I bought my Virginia lifetime licenses when I turned 55 and set up my annual deer turkey and bear tags on auto renewal on a credit card dedicated to just that.

09-Jun-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

JL's Link
A heads up for you lifetime license holders......

I hope one day to move to MT or WY and become a res.

Take this for what it's worth. I was just researching the regs on buying a res license in MT. In their definition of a resident, for one of the res requirements, it says....

"(d)?except as provided in subsection (1)(b), the person does not possess or apply for any resident hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses from another state or country or exercise resident hunting, fishing, or trapping privileges in another state or country; and"

As I mentioned above, I have a Florida Gold Lifetime Sportsman's license. I got it while I was a Florida res and active duty military bubba. Florida residency is not a requirement to keep and use that license....thankfully!

I was concerned if that FL lifetime license would disqualify me from buying a MT res license even if I met and maintained all the other requirements for MT residency. I called the MT enforcement folks and the lady told me even if I became a MT res, I could not hold two res licenses at the same time....even if one was a lifetime license from another state. She said the key is whether the other state considers their lifetime license a "resident" license. I think I'm ok because that lifetime license is still good even if I'm a non-res....which I am. She said they are sticklers for MT residents trying to buy or hold res licenses in two different states.

I think that MT rule maybe discriminatory against MT residents who legally purchased lifetime licenses in another state yet are no longer res's in the state they purchased the lifetime license in.

So....my point in mentioning this....if the lifetime license you legally purchased in state A while you were a res is considered a resident license, you might be ineligible to purchase a res license in your current state B even if you are and have been a legal res in state B. You need to check the res requirements for purchasing a res license in your current state B and then, if state A's lifetime license is considered a resident license and/or requires residency to use it.

Again....take this for what it's worth.....it's something new I had to research as a lifetime license holder considering establishing residency in another state.

• Sitka Gear