Elk
Contributors to this thread:
KSBOW 28-May-21
midwest 28-May-21
KSBOW 28-May-21
Treeline 28-May-21
WI Shedhead 28-May-21
28-May-21
Well results are in will be headed to Colorado in September. Little background I have done a lot research on Colorado OTC units and had pretty solid plan from my perspective, however drawing in others states in past has prevented me from executing said plan. This year in application season was unsuccessful in Wyoming and New Mexico. In process of application in others states I decided to try and gain a point in Colorado and apply with 0 points in previous over the counter unit. Well I ended up drawing 44, 444, 45, and 47 I believe. So I made the decision to apply in these units due to similar success rates as OTC units I had researched, and possibility of dealing with less people, although I understand they are are busy with hikers and non-hunters. From those with previous OTC experience was this wise decision or did I make a mistake? I am aware of heard direction in these units and being a bull only tag, which means I totally expect to have a cow at 20 yards broadside multiple times during my hunt.

28-May-21
"In process of application in others states I decided to try and gain a point in Colorado and apply with 0 points in previous over the counter unit."

If you were only trying to gain a point, why did you apply?

Can't help you with info on that area but best of luck!

28-May-21
Let me clarify. Drew as second choice, gained a point. Had I not drawn would have hunted previously researched OTC units, was hunting elk this year either way. More than anything curious if going to 4 units where 900/ 700(Bow) tags were allocated is better decision that hunting unit that is unlimited OTC for archery anyway? 200 of those tags are muzzleloader.

28-May-21
There are elk in those units. The reason that archery is draw in those units is because the elk population dropped a lot (according to the CPw counts) so they made archery a draw.

There had been rifle cow tags in September on public land for a long time as well as 6-month long private land rifle tags. There are still private land cow rifle tags that start August 15 and run thru January a lot of 1st rifle bull tags and draw for cows, 2nd and 3rd is still OTC for bulls and draw for cows, and 4th rifle bull and cow tags.

Yup, I know, kinda stupid. It is par for the course...

28-May-21
As far as pressure from the hikers- 90%+ of them never get off a trail so you know where your pressure will be

• Sitka Gear