tkjwonta 30-May-21
BULELK1 30-May-21
volcomgti 31-May-21
Brewski 07-Jun-21
volcomgti 08-Jun-21
28-May-21

volcomgti's embedded Photo
volcomgti's embedded Photo
Having a hard time understanding the Utah big game brochure when it comes to hunting a spike in the Wasatch mtns west unit starting August 21st for archery. I have a mule deer tag for the same unit and was trying to see if I would be able to purchase an elk spike tag also while I was in that unit. On the map (I attached a picture) it looks like you can hunt a spike in that unit, but I can’t seem to find the dates to hunt a spike there for archery? I’ll be hunting the first week of archery, August 21st-28th. If anyone can help clear this up for me I’d appreciate it.

28-May-21
It’s an otc general archery elk tag- good for a cow or spike in spike only units, or any elk in some open units, or spike only in some limited units. Confusing if you aren’t familiar.

That said you are fine with hunting cow/spike elk in your deer unit in August

28-May-21
While most of the Wasatch West unit is spike only for archery elk, the central Wasatch part of the unit is actually any bull. This area is described in the maps as the extended archery area south of I80 to point of the mountain and around the county boarder to Park City and back down I80. That area of the unit is any bull from Aug 21st until Dec 15th this year.

In the central Wasatch you can hunt big bucks until Nov 30th and big bulls until Dec 15th :)

Cheers, Pete

29-May-21
If it's an LE elk unit, then it is spike/cow for general season archery.

No need to complicate things trying to figure out where it's Any Bull since you likely won't be hunting deer there. Just focus on your deer area and shoot a cow or spike if the opportunity presents itself.

29-May-21

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Except when it's definitely worth looking for and having tags for both buck deer and any elk in your pocket. Too bad, in this and many other instances, I didn't happen to be in my stand :)

Cheers, Pete

29-May-21

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo

30-May-21
Dang Pete, 0 for 2 there! Like most (former) Utah hunters, I have a love/hate relationship with the Wasatch Front. Extremely fun and also very frustrating at times.

30-May-21
Dang good breakdown of the Spike/cow vs Any Bull with in the Wasatch, Pete.

It can be confusing for sure.

Good luck, Robb

31-May-21
Thanks so much for the info, that clears it up for me a lot haha. Very confusing at first just reading Utah’s brochure haha.

07-Jun-21
Head up Snake Creek road out of Midway

08-Jun-21
Thanks brewski

• Sitka Gear