molsonarcher 27-May-22
c5ken 27-May-22
Potro 27-May-22
pav 27-May-22
jdbbowhunter 27-May-22
Whatthefoc 28-May-22
bad karma 28-May-22
01-Jun-21
Looking for a new pair of binoculars for this fall. Caribou, elk, antelope, whitetails, etc. Give me your suggestions: lens, magnification, name brand, etc. $1000 and under. Thanks!

01-Jun-21
I’ve bought a couple pairs of leupold bx4. I bought their bx2 and was rather happy. But, moved to the bx4 pro guides because they are simply brighter.

For the money I can’t see how they will be beat. I’d highly recommend the bx4’s.

01-Jun-21
Maven b3. I went 8x. Upgraded from Vortex 8x42, which I really liked, just too heavy.

01-Jun-21
I'd say look at Maven's as well in that price range. I would go 10x though for the antelope and caribou longer range glassing possibilities.

01-Jun-21
Up your budget just a touch and get some Swaro SLC's in 10x42... then, use them for the rest of your life without ever needing to upgrade.

01-Jun-21
Agree with Nick

Sometimes if you get lucky you can find them at good prices and don’t be scared of used. Swarovski stands behind their product.

01-Jun-21
What Nick said. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I hadn't gotten these Swaro's", but I've sure heard a lot of people say "I should have just spent the extra money on the Swaro's."

01-Jun-21
Nikon has a good bino well under $500. Monarch

01-Jun-21
I agree with Nick and others. If you can get to $1,000 this year, save up and buy Swaro next year. Nikon and Maven types mentioned above are not even in the same ballpark. Brotsky is right....I don't know anyone that regrets the Swaro purchase but tons of people who end up needing to upgrade from $1,000 bino into Swaro 2 years later. Bite the bullet and be done for life. Buy once cry once. It's a tough pill to swallow and there are some things you can cheat and go with less but in my opinion glass is not one of them and Swaro is the best.

01-Jun-21
Now I need one of you guys to give me the same pep talk to pull the trigger on a second pair of swaros....been wanting some 15xs something fierce lately! Just having a hard time parting with the $$ :)

01-Jun-21
Maven here and I prefer them over my Swaros. I thought the Swaros were the best but honestly Maven side by side with swaros I can not tell any difference other than the price. You would have to be a super glass snob to tell the difference.

S

01-Jun-21
I like my bx4’s really well. I do believe that color transmission is better with my buddies slc’s. Meaning a image that is softer. But, I don’t think the bx4’s give one ounce up in light transmission best I can tell. If anything, they are brighter. At least at 800 yards or less.

Are swaro’s better? Yes. I’m not saying the bx4’s are the greatest either. I’m saying they are a very good set of glass that will get it done pleasantly at less then $1000. I’m happy with the compromise. As I’m sure those that went with swaro’s feel the same. However, for me The difference in them isn’t going to be the difference.

Good luck on your decision.

01-Jun-21
For your budget range, don't overlook Sig Sauer.

01-Jun-21
Leica 8x42 tough to beat for all around use. Made in Germany with lifetime warranty. Swaros are great too. Both have clarity that is unmatched. Go look thru many of those mentioned and then look thru Leicas or Swaros, well worth the money. In the long run you will be happy. Percy

01-Jun-21
I just bought a pair of 12.5x50 Tract Toric. All reviews are 5 star and they have SCHOTT HD glass

02-Jun-21
Most of the binocs around that $1000 mark are going to be pretty good. Let’s be honest here for a second. For the average guy with a few hunts per year, does he really need the most expensive glass out there? There are a lot of good choices out there that will do a fantastic job and last for many, many years. I have Leupold, Maven, and Leica. All fantastic for everything I need.

02-Jun-21
I would say hands down the Tract in that price range. Hands down. Nothing close for the money. ($1,000 and UNDER)

02-Jun-21
butcherboy x 2.

02-Jun-21
Leica Trinovid 10x42. I have used this glass for 15 years with no problems. Works great everywhere and for me I think its all the binocular Ill ever need. Just bought another pair and stuck em in the safe incase I ever need another. Scheels has em for 999.00

02-Jun-21
Maven compact B3's 8x. Light, compact and crystal clear.

02-Jun-21
Nicks suggestion is slick.

Leica Trinovids, Meopta MeoStars, or Nikon Monarch HGs would be other good consideration to make...

02-Jun-21
I’d never by another Nikon. Quit making scopes because scopes are involved in killing.

02-Jun-21
Swarovski EL 10x42s is what I use. Expensive but no regrets in buying them. My last pair I will need to buy.

02-Jun-21
Meopta meostar (cabelas euro) great glass to me.

03-Jun-21
After a bit of searching, I found a pair of used Swaro EL 10x42s just under $1500. Called Swaro and had the serial number/registration transferred to my name and can't be happier.

03-Jun-21
I just got a pair of Nikon HGs for free as I had two older pair of the Nikon Monarch 8x36's. I paid around 250 each for them 20 years ago or so. They were beyond repair and Nikon honored the lifetime warranty but did not have that model anymore. They gave me a voucher for like $850. I got them in the 8x42 and side by side with my buddies Swaro 10x42 and a pair of Leica Trinovids that I was considering my eyes could not tell a bit of difference and actually the Nikons seemed better overall than the Leicas. Shawn

04-Jun-21
Kahles made in Austria. Have 15 year old 10x42’s still awesome.

04-Jun-21
I'll be looking pretty hard at the Mavens when I do it again.

26-May-22
Check out the Leica line, decent for the money, if you never look through a pair of Vortex, swaurovski, or Zeiss you won't know what your missing. These Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-R 2700 are preety good binocular you may check here. Lica Geovid combines superior optical performance with a powerful 2700-yard laser rangefinder and ballistic computer into a highly portable and easy-to-use optic.

27-May-22
Do not get Swarovskis.

It’s a complete pain in the ass when your buddies with their Vortex and Leupolds keep asking to borrow your binos right at last light. Let me see, let me see.

Get the same binos as your buddies have. No more squabbles, and you’ll be home 10 minutes earlier than you would if you bought those annoying Swaros.

27-May-22
OP - " Caribou, elk, antelope, whitetails, etc. "

Those critters live in very different habitats, and optics for one kind might not be the best for others. Thick cover, 8 power max. Open spaces, 10 x or maybe more.

27-May-22
And here's a question for you 'optics junkies' - would you rather have a mid-price 10x or a top shelf 8X bino, if you could only get one?

27-May-22
Dana - I’d save a little longer and get the top shelf 10x I bought a pair of 10x42 Swarovskis probably 15 years ago and have never regretted it.

27-May-22
In mid proce range I went with the Leupold BX4 pro guide over nikon and vortex and maven (mostly because of eye cups). In hindsight I wish I had purchased 8x instead of 10x though....

27-May-22
Just sent my pair of brunton epochs in for warranty work- found out thier no longer in the optics buisness. These have served me very well but the next pair will be Swarovski s. Lots more hunting in the next 20 years I will get my investment back

27-May-22
I love my SWARO SLC 8X42.

27-May-22
I have the swaro 10x42. I got a great deal on them, but anytime im out west, i wish they were a 10x50. At home for whitetails they are often too much for where i hunt, so i use a cheaper pair of vortex 8x42. Night and day difference in the quality, but for deer under 200 yds i already know if im shooting or not.

27-May-22
Leica 10x42 Govid range finders $1600 but its the last binos you will buy..

27-May-22
Nikon Monarch, Steiner, Leupold , Khales there are many very good options under $750 I don't think you need to expend much more

27-May-22
Nick Muche nearly one year ago - "Up your budget just a touch and get some Swaro SLC's in 10x42... then, use them for the rest of your life without ever needing to upgrade."

Still spot on advice IMO!

27-May-22
Have a pair of Leupold 10x50, (second pair) first was replaced by warranty. Have had for 20+ years. Very pleased with Leupold products.

28-May-22
Well ffs. I never noticed this thread was a year old.

Jasper - what did you buy?

28-May-22
Used quality beats new junk. Consider a used pair of Swarovskis/Leicas/Kahles/Zeiss high end.......I bought a pair of 8x30 Swaros for $500, as my lighter pair. The heavier pair are 10x42 Kahles binos. OTOH, the HD Vortex are not bad, but my son now has that pair. The better binos, though, are more robust.

• Sitka Gear