APauls 04-Jun-21
jstephens61 04-Jun-21
Ollie 04-Jun-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 04-Jun-21
jstephens61 04-Jun-21
GF 05-Jun-21
EDUDA 11-Jun-21
01-Jun-21
Making the move from mech to fixed...came across some silver flame overkill broadheads. Anyone ever use/shoot these in comparison to the silver flames? Obviously silver flames are 99/3 overkill’s are I think 50/3. Only different I see is different steel for the blades? Any helps appreciated. Not looking to cheap out but if it’s apples to apples and one will last 2/3 deer and another 3/4????

Thanks everyone!!!

01-Jun-21
I hunted Africa about 15 years ago on one of Ken Moody's bowsite specials. We had 10 guys in camp. There was a guy there, I won't mention his name, that was insistent that Magnus, Bears and Wensel Woodsmen heads were too soft to hunt with. I think he was using the German Kenetic heads. I killed several animals with my Magnus. One guy shot 10 with the woodsman, with zero losses and the broadhead snob killed nothing.

I'm convinced that people put too much stock in harder steel and more expensive broadheads when the cheaper ones have killed more animals over and over again without problems. I honestly can't imagine spending $50 for a 3 pack. $99, wow. Just can't do it.

I'm also convinced that those who shoot the high dollar heads, including expandables tend to practice less with their broadheads and take fewer shots while in the field. This type of person tends to be less successful than the guy who shoots at every coon, rabbit and blackbird that stands still long enough for a shot.

Be honest, are you less likely to shoot something because your head/arrow combo costs as much as a tank of gas?

I have no proof that those who shoot the most expensive heads are less successful, it just seems that way. Pick a head, any head, that shoots well and you can easily sharpen. Then practice with it over and over again.

01-Jun-21
Excellent advice Jim!

02-Jun-21
Good advice Jim.

A lot to be said about the “old school” broadheads. Bear, Zwicky, Ben Pearson, Grizzly, Snuffer, MA-3 have still put more critters in the freezer than everything else combined since...

Not sure any modern metal broadheads will ever catch up to a well knapped stone point for sheer numbers though....

02-Jun-21
I would add Ace broadheads to Treeline's list.

02-Jun-21
What Jim said X3

02-Jun-21
Answers my question! Orders in! Thanks guys

02-Jun-21
Agree with most of the above....those super expensive heads are a solution looking for a problem, when it comes to North American game. OTOH, I might consider them if I was to ever hunt something with super-heavy ribs like Cape Buffalo, Giraffe, Elephant.

02-Jun-21

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
You don’t have to have an expensive broadhead to kill stuff. I’m even thinking of putting some Zwickeys back on my compound. I love shooting, sharpening and tuning them. I’ve killed 20+ deer, an elk, hogs and turkeys with them. Now, I shoot magnus stingers and zwickeys.

02-Jun-21
For most hunts, I'll shoot anything, as long as it's a mechanical :)

02-Jun-21
I'm a fan of Magnus Stingers. While they can bend, they shoot amazing, even out of questionably tuned bows, and penetrate awesome. One of my Synergys has a nock right issue that I am waiting to work on after I put new strings on and still no issue shooting Stingers out to 50 yards with it. They're unreal.

02-Jun-21
I’m a 100% fixed BH shooter. I’ve used quite a few of the available fixed heads. In the last ten or so years, I’ve used Exodous, Slick Trick Magnum, Magnus Stingers, Magnus Serazors, and a couple others whose names escape me. I’ve also used Iron Will 125V the last three years. I’d be comfortable using any of these heads on any North American game and African plains game. However, despite the cost, I think IW is a better head for accuracy, for penetration, and for lethality of cut, because of its sharpness and edge retention. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it costs me $100-200 at the most per year to use IW BHs. It’s worth it to me. Your opinions may differ and that’s cool..

02-Jun-21
Another fixed blade BH user. I’ve shot Thunderhead’s Zwickey’s, Magnus, Montec’s, to name a few. For the past four years I’ve used Slick Trick Viper Tricks and couldn’t be more pleased. I could care less if someone wants to shoot $35 BH’s if that’s what they feel is best for them. However, a couple things make me shake my head when they say why they shoot them. They claim their accuracy and penetration is better. Their accuracy and penetration may be just as good, but dead is dead, whether it’s a $35 BH or a $10 BH. I’ve also seen several claim that they take otherwise questionable shot angles simply because they shoot a certain BH. A bad shot angle is a bad shot angle , regardless of BH choice.

03-Jun-21
I love my qad exodus, swept blade, I use them for elk and moose, for the smaller stuff, deer and bear I use a mechanical, wouldn't even consider a using a fixed, gotta choose the right mech tho

03-Jun-21
Magnus Stingers have been working well for me the last few years. I've taken multiple big game animals with the same head, after sharpening. When one breaks, I send it back, and they send me a new head.

I'm a "penetration" guy. Blood trails aren't the biggest, but, I'm a pretty good tracker ;^)

03-Jun-21
Don't overlook VPA broadheads- they simply kill stuff!

03-Jun-21
I am a fixed blade guys, years ago I tried a few expandables and thouhgt they were garbage. They may be better today but to me still garbage. I have shot 175 grain VPAs for the last 12 years I believe and killed over 100 animals with them. they have gotten a bit pricey at 45-50 for 3 but I have killed as many as 8 deer with the same head so it ain't bad. They are easy to sharpen and and a pretty tough as well I have no problem with them shooting from any well tuned bow. Shawn

03-Jun-21
I have some VPA's. I have invested in a lot of sharpening equipment, watched a boat load of sharpening videos and even tried the Bill Allard Snuffer sharpening how-to. After all that, I'm still not convinced I have an extremely sharp broadhead. I know it is most likely "user error".... :0( I would be willing to hunt with them only once I master the sharpening.... Using Viper Tricks this fall. TODDY

03-Jun-21
If you are going $100/3 the iron wills are pretty good. fly really well. my biggest problem is I don't personally tune my bow, so some of the older fixed blades don't fly well in my compound out to 100yds. I also prefer a 3 blade for blood trails, or bleeders if shooting a 2 blade.

03-Jun-21
toddy: IMO when sharpening a 3-blade head...if it passes the "fingernail grab" test along it's entire length, that's plenty sharp enough.

03-Jun-21
I have been shooting Rocky Mtn. Fast Flite and Rocky Mtn. Legends for the last 25 years. Replacement blades are still available on the internet. Most of my shots on deer are under 25 yards and I don't take questionable shots. I haven't had to track a deer in years. They are dead before they get out of eyesight.

03-Jun-21
I think the shooter makes the head, not the head makes the shooter.

If we had 15-20 tags here I might shoot less expensive heads. Knowing I will fill 3-5 tags in a season the cost of the heads are negligible in my season. That's assuming I lose them which seems to almost never happen. How much does the average guy spend on draws alone in the US? After all that you're worried about an extra $20 on the business end of the arrow that might be your life's best memory? I'm not saying a guy needs to shoot the most expensive, I'm just saying shoot what you're confident in. Confidence is the most important.

I fulfilled one of my top hunting dreams I've had thus far in my life with a well placed $40 broad head last year. (That head can be re-sharpened but I am going to retire it) I've also had some of my best hunting memories with a $4 broadhead. They each probably equated to roughly the same % spend over the course of that season if a person called them wrecked...which they aren't.

03-Jun-21
Apauls not worried about the money. I’m Fortunate and money isn’t an issue. I was just curious if people have shot the two and if they noticed a “significant difference” or if for the money the difference wasn’t noticeable enough etc that’s all. My most memorable bow hunt is wish a 5$ broadhead that I got at a flea market with my wife’s grandfather. We shot a turkey with it a month before he passed. Small bird, 6” beard 15lbs but it’s the only one I’ve ever done a tail/beard mount with. I’ve shot much bigger and better but this one will always mean the most

03-Jun-21
Does anyone remember the guy that did independent BH tests? He had a website and posted the results. I don't think he was sponsored or affiliated with any BH company. He would buy the BH's out of his own pocket or someone would send him some for his testing. I can't remember the name of his website or if he is even still doing BH testing. I couldn't locate him doing a search.

04-Jun-21
Lusk or Luks on YouTube I think if I remember correctly

04-Jun-21
Lusk Archery Adventures does a bunch but this person was before him/them.

04-Jun-21
A 3 sided diamond Jewel stick is all that is needed to sharpen a VPA. They have to be pretty beat before you have to use a file. Start with the coarsest grit and work to the fine, work from front to back. Shawn

04-Jun-21
Lusk or Luks on YouTube I think if I remember correctly

04-Jun-21
Took 9 animals in Africa and a semi load of deer with 3 blade Muzzys.

04-Jun-21
JSW is painting a broad brush and knows little of which he is speaking. To imply those who use expensive broadheads practice less is pure bs. Gas costs a lot more than an expensive arrow. Guess you haven’t checked prices in a long time.

04-Jun-21
And no JSW I’m not less likely to shoot something because my arrow and broadhead price. I shoot some of the most expensive rounds for rifle hunting and it’s never stopped me from pulling the trigger once or twice or three times at 60-70-75 bucks a box. Can’t get 270wby cheap

04-Jun-21

05-Jun-21
I guess they don’t call them “Overkill” for no reason, eh?

I think APauls covered it. Use what gives you confidence, whether they’re $35 apiece or (like the Ace Standard) they’re $35/half dozen. But then, nobody with any sense shoots those Aces BECAUSE they’re inexpensive. That’s not the Value Proposition on those. Some people want to mount and sharpen their own heads, and some want to be able to screw them on right out of the package. NOBODY wants to hunt with an arrow or head that will ever be the reason that they passed up a shot.

That said, I don’t think Jim is wrong that most guys using high-dollar shafts & broadheads are unlikely to loose one at a stump or some small-game target of opportunity.

11-Jun-21
TOOH OF THE ARROW!!

• Sitka Gear