WI Shedhead 02-Jun-21
JL 02-Jun-21
Tim Floyd @Hm 08-Jun-21
WI Shedhead 08-Jun-21
JL 08-Jun-21
Pat Lefemine 08-Jun-21
JL 09-Jun-21
02-Jun-21
Just recently purchased 120 acres in the northern lower penisula of Michigan. My property is surrounded by hundreds of acres of state land on one side and active agriculture farms on the other. Long term goal of creating bedding areas and natural food sources ... Short term looking for advice on early food plot mixes for October archery season? Thinking I should plant mid-July to early August (?) ... Any advice and or experiences appreciated. Thanks.

02-Jun-21
North woods Whitetail’s is a great seed company from Michigan- the wheat , rye oat blend will grow anywhere, keep growing to 36 degrees, and be one of the first Green things that come up in the spring. Let it head out the following summer, mow it, and till it under to add organic matter to your soil. I’ve had good results with Real world seed company as well. Thier deadly dozen blend is great and really keeps the deer coming well into snow cover. They both have habitat products as well. Can’t go wrong with either

02-Jun-21
I'm in the same place you're at.....NLP. I've been doing some purple top turnips with good success. One thing to keep in mind where you're at.....if you don't have tall/taller crops, the low crops will get covered in snow and the deer will not use it anymore.. My experience with clover is like that. That is a problem for the late bow season if you're wanting to hunt your plots.

08-Jun-21
Thanks guys for the comments. When is the best time to plant in the NLP? ... Also ever have any luck planting perssiom trees that far up?

Thanks again for any advice ...

08-Jun-21
I can’t get them to grow in East central Wisconsin. Plant pear and apple. Have different date maturing trees so you have apples dropping all fall. August for fall food plots ahead of a rain if possible

08-Jun-21
Last year we did the plots the second week of July and the weather cooperated. This year we will likely do them the last week of July. I hope we don't have a dry July/August. This will be purple tops, beets and I might do some corn. I have a new plot I might do by the end of this month. This one will be a clover plot in a wooded area.

08-Jun-21
JL, corn in July? That’s awfully late for most corn varieties except for a couple of 60 day varieties of sweet corn

09-Jun-21
I was thinking of trying to have it still somewhat green and around going into October. Last year on an early plant, the few stalks I had, the deer had it cleaned out by September. Also.....being in the snow belt, I want something that will still be exposed when the snow starts flying. Our first snows usually happen by Halloween.

• Sitka Gear