WV Mountaineer 05-Jun-21
WV Mountaineer 05-Jun-21
IdyllwildArcher 05-Jun-21
hawkeye in PA 05-Jun-21
kadbow 06-Jun-21
AZBUGLER 23-Jun-21
Jaquomo 24-Jun-21
04-Jun-21
Anyone suffered from allergies on lower elevation elk hunts? I am going to AZ in Sept and I am concerned about allergies slowing me down or causing loss of sleep. Last time I hunted southern NM whatever was blooming was really triggering my allergies. Anyone recommend specific meds or best way to deal with this?

04-Jun-21
I can get them really bad during that time of year. I dont waste time on benadryl and go right to Zrytec which makes it a lot more bearable.

04-Jun-21
Benedryl should be in everyone’s safety kit.

05-Jun-21
The dry air doesn't help. I use a lot of saline spray when hunting in the mountains.

05-Jun-21
I second the Zyrtec. I have allergies all season and they would be unbearable without it! The ragweed is particularly bad in late Aug/early Sept.......

05-Jun-21
Nothing worse than a sneezing attack when ur trying to put the slip on something!

05-Jun-21
Allergy pill regardless of elevation

05-Jun-21
Allergy pill regardless of elevation

05-Jun-21
I get them bad everywhere.

Zyrtec on its own is weak sauce.

If you really want to control bad allergies, add Nasocort a week or two before the trip, but especially Astelin or Astepro, which requires a prescription. It shuts allergies off right now.

Also, if you get eye inflammation really bad in the mountains like I do, Pataday or Patanol are amazing and recently got authorization to be OTC.

Also, taking Pepcid along with your Zyrtec makes your Zyrtec work better as 30% of the Zrytec you take is wasted on H2 receptors that don't help block allergies.

05-Jun-21
I'm on 24 hour Allegra and if things get really bad I'll use Nasacort inhaler also later in the day.. It's easy on the prostrate-if you have trouble, some of the other inhalers are not.

06-Jun-21
My fall allergies were terrible to the point of making my elk hunting miserable. I heard about SAAT on another hunting website. It is an acupuncture allergy treatment. I figured nothing to lose and gave it a try. It made a world of difference. It seems a little like magic but I went back for a second treatment for some additional allergies this spring and it helped with those too. I drove 4 hrs to get it done. If you can find someone in your area that does it I would give it a try.

23-Jun-21
Oh ya.... gods little joke on me. I’m allergic to just about everything out there. Wish I had a quick fix for you. Daily allergy pill, clean nostrils out nightly and use Flonase daily as well. I’ve been wanting to try a nasal flushing device one of these days. That might be the ticket.

24-Jun-21
Nasal flushing, Claritan, and Flonase help me. Sage pollen is a killer in September. Makes me feel like I have the flu, but the OTC treatments above manage it pretty well for me. Everyone is different.

• Sitka Gear