Ermine 06-Jun-21
Yellowjacket 06-Jun-21
Glunt@work 06-Jun-21
Cheesehead Mike 06-Jun-21
wyobullshooter 06-Jun-21
llamapacker 06-Jun-21
Pop-r 07-Jun-21
05-Jun-21
Just wondering if Elk "scent trail" other elk.

I have often left a "scent trail" for white tails and had them follow it. Has anyone tried this with elk - does it work?

05-Jun-21
I doubt.

05-Jun-21
hell yes they do... i was hunting in colorado on private waiting for elk to be pushed from public on opening morning....a few cows came by me running, about 5 minutes later a calf came running and stopped and put its nose on the ground and walked back and forth till he found the EXACT spot the cows came through and hauled ass after them

05-Jun-21
Yep, I once busted a herd of cows bedded in dark timber. Since it looked like a good spot, and smelled like elk, I figured I might as well sit for awhile. About 30 minutes later a 5X5 came walking through the woods with his head down going back and forth like a bird dog. I should have killed that bull, but that's another story.

05-Jun-21
Absolutely

05-Jun-21
Has anyone actually tried leaving an "elk scent", scent trail?

That's interesting, always given it some thought, just never tried it. Wondering what elk scent one should try??????

05-Jun-21
They do for sure. Elk don't have interdigital glands like a whitetail but neither do we and we have all seen how well critters can track us.

05-Jun-21
Duh!!!

05-Jun-21
Yes

05-Jun-21
I doubt.

06-Jun-21
Post up the videos for this whitetail freak. I want to see.

06-Jun-21
They do…

06-Jun-21
I suspect that a scent trail laid down by elk would be followed, if there were other elk that crossed that trail. However, I suspect that bottled elk urine is close to worthless, unless you are selling it.

06-Jun-21
The question is, Would A Hunter Drag A Scented Rag around to attract elk his way, for myself NO! Too many other ways to attract elk to bowrange or just go to them!

ElkNut

06-Jun-21
Thanks, never heard of anyone trying it so I was curious, and a bit skeptical - still am skeptical.

06-Jun-21
Yea I’ve seen lone bulls. Walking with their nose to the ground following scent trails

06-Jun-21
I've had elk scent trail me to a tree stand, then scent the small branch I brushed against checking my trail camera.

06-Jun-21
Elk track each other but I've never tried a drag because I'm not into scents for hunting. I don't try to cover them or use them for attractant. Nothing wrong with using them, I just like keeping things in my version of "simple". On most elk hunt days it would be a very long drag and after the first incline I probably output as much scent as my a drag rag would :^)

06-Jun-21
I know that some hunters have success dragging a scent drag for whitetails but I think it would work against you in most instances for both deer and elk. The last thing I want is for a deer or elk to focus their attention on my back trail. It seems like only a matter of time before they pick up on my scent and get spooked. If a deer or elk crosses my back trail I would hope they pass over it quickly without noticing. The more time they spent on my back trail I believe the greater the chances they're going to catch my scent and get wise.

06-Jun-21
^^^^That, along with what Elknut posted. No doubt there’s times elk scent trail, but not something I would ever waste time on as a hunting tactic.

06-Jun-21
The big challenge here is the nomadic nature of elk. There is no doubt elk scent trail other elk. I've seen in many, many times. But trying to lay down a scent trail with artificial lure, when you don't even know if an elk will cross the scent trail in a given day is not the most productive tactic. I suspect it would work in the right situation, but elk hunters have better tactics at there disposal. Bill

07-Jun-21
As well as they smell one would be very naive to be believe they don't track each other by scent.

• Sitka Gear