Contributors to this thread:
Wholaverj 07-Jun-21
GhostBird 08-Jun-21
JSH 09-Jun-21
DL 09-Jun-21
DL 09-Jun-21
DL 09-Jun-21
07-Jun-21
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone else has hunted with Yukkutz Hunting down in the Yucatan for their Oscellated turkey? I'm heading down in January with the bow in an attempt to complete my "World Slam" of wild turkey. Figured I would ask around to maybe get some tips or insight as to what to expect when I get down there. I've researched this trip for a while now and feel absolutely confident in my decision, but I always like to talk with people who may have already "Been there, done that" to get a little insider scoop.

08-Jun-21
No real experience to share... best of luck on a great adventure. I do know that some shotgun hunters are disappointed that they are asked to shoot a bird out of a tree, and that may be the only way they can kill one. Looking forward to hearing some real world experience from others. Again, good hunting...

09-Jun-21

09-Jun-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Best time to go is early like you are. They are in large flocks and moving from the jungle into grain fields to eat. I went last month and they were in the jungle. Even with a shotgun in the jungle they are a challenge to get a halfway decent shot. They make turkeys in the US look like DoDo birds when they are hunted late like I did. There is no way you could get a shot with a shotgun leaning up against a tree. I hunted with two fellas from the south. They both said they had never seen a bird so wary. One hunter from Mississippi said this was his third trip to try and get a bird. He got his the last morning before we left. I got two and had 4 very close calls. You’ll be hunting in Mayan country and will see some. I came upon a stairway and wall out of stone on a hill in the road. I wondered how big the ruins were I was standing on. You’ll hate the jays and Chachalacas that go crazy at dawn.

09-Jun-21

DL's embedded Photo
Here’s some of the harvested grain fields
DL's embedded Photo
Here’s some of the harvested grain fields
This stuff is thick.

09-Jun-21
There are thousands of acres of grain or soybeans that are farmed by Mennonites. They originally came from Canada I believe in the 1800s. You’ll see a lot of burnt off jungle. It’s good you are going soon. They are listed as threatened species and hunting on them could end. I asked if they thought they were threatened species and they said no way. If you don’t know any Spanish get an app that translates as you speak into it. That’s if you have WiFi in your camp. We were right in the jungle but had A/C, WiFi, running water, flush toilets and hot showers. We only had to drive maybe 20-30 minutes to our hunting spots. Some 8-10.

If there’s any thing I can help with PM me

• Sitka Gear