Wholaverj 27-Jun-21
Pocoloco 29-Jun-21
dhaverstick 01-Jul-21
Rockbass 21-Nov-21
Ggp308 13-Jan-22
spike78 13-Jan-22
Potro 14-Jan-22
07-Jun-21
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone else has hunted with Yukkutz Hunting down in the Yucatan for their Oscellated turkey? I'm heading down in January with the bow in an attempt to complete my "World Slam" of wild turkey. Figured I would ask around to maybe get some tips or insight as to what to expect when I get down there. I've researched this trip for a while now and feel absolutely confident in my decision, but I always like to talk with people who may have already "Been there, done that" to get a little insider scoop.

08-Jun-21
No real experience to share... best of luck on a great adventure. I do know that some shotgun hunters are disappointed that they are asked to shoot a bird out of a tree, and that may be the only way they can kill one. Looking forward to hearing some real world experience from others. Again, good hunting...

09-Jun-21

09-Jun-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Best time to go is early like you are. They are in large flocks and moving from the jungle into grain fields to eat. I went last month and they were in the jungle. Even with a shotgun in the jungle they are a challenge to get a halfway decent shot. They make turkeys in the US look like DoDo birds when they are hunted late like I did. There is no way you could get a shot with a shotgun leaning up against a tree. I hunted with two fellas from the south. They both said they had never seen a bird so wary. One hunter from Mississippi said this was his third trip to try and get a bird. He got his the last morning before we left. I got two and had 4 very close calls. You’ll be hunting in Mayan country and will see some. I came upon a stairway and wall out of stone on a hill in the road. I wondered how big the ruins were I was standing on. You’ll hate the jays and Chachalacas that go crazy at dawn.

09-Jun-21

DL's embedded Photo
Here’s some of the harvested grain fields
DL's embedded Photo
Here’s some of the harvested grain fields
This stuff is thick.

09-Jun-21
There are thousands of acres of grain or soybeans that are farmed by Mennonites. They originally came from Canada I believe in the 1800s. You’ll see a lot of burnt off jungle. It’s good you are going soon. They are listed as threatened species and hunting on them could end. I asked if they thought they were threatened species and they said no way. If you don’t know any Spanish get an app that translates as you speak into it. That’s if you have WiFi in your camp. We were right in the jungle but had A/C, WiFi, running water, flush toilets and hot showers. We only had to drive maybe 20-30 minutes to our hunting spots. Some 8-10.

If there’s any thing I can help with PM me

27-Jun-21
DL, what outfitter did you use or have information for? I'm going to be hunting with Yukkutz. Should be a great time, cant wait!

29-Jun-21
I hunted all my Southern México hunts West or South West from where you might hunt which is in the Eastern Campeche area. I am used to hunt in high dense jungles without much fields and low densities of animals. Your area should be a relative low but dense forrests (no traditional tree stand hunting then) with lots of crop fields like milo and corn. First off, ask your outfitter all the questiones you might have. Most do not know much about bowhunters. You and them should know first hand what to expect. They should have pop up blinds at the edges on the fields and furthermore guides who have electrónico calls (sometimes they use their celular phones) for ocelated turkeys. It is a way different call than a normal turkey and I do not know any mouth or hand call that could make this sound. Waterhole hunting can be also very productive if it is dry. However there is a good chance that it will rain some in January. Trust your guides. Especially the old Mayan ones. They used to live their whole life in these woods. They know what they have to do to get you a bird. The important thing is you and your guides are well hidden so you can draw your bow without been seen. Shot placement and shooting equipment is similar to a normal turkey hunt. You still have half a year to prepare yourself. If you have further questiones you can pm me anytime.

01-Jul-21

dhaverstick's embedded Photo
Me with my tom
Me with my tom
The blind I hunted from
The blind I hunted from
Bird and bow
Bird and bow
Beautiful feathers!
Beautiful feathers!
I went last year with Snook Inn Hunting. We hunted the edges of huge milo fields. My guide was perfect for bowhunting. He set us up less than 10 yards off the "turkey trail". I shot my bird the first morning at about 5 yards. I hunted the last week of February. The folks in my party found out that how you hunt depends on your guide. Some use calls and decoys and some don't.

The best advice I got before I went down there was to bring my own hunting chair if I could because what they provide is crap to bowhunt out of. That was certainly true! I brought a CHAMA chair and my guide was so envious of it that I ended up giving it to him as a tip.

Looks like I'm going back again next year, only with TanKab Outfitters. It will be a jungle hunt. Probably going to do this one with my flintlock since I already killed one with a recurve.

Darren

21-Nov-21
I am going in January with Yukkutz. PM me. Hopefully we r sharing the same camp.

13-Jan-22

Ggp308's embedded Photo
Ggp308's embedded Photo
I’m here now This please is awesome birds everywhere one of the bow hunting only spots had over 200 yesterday afternoon

13-Jan-22
Damn those would be some nice full mounts!

14-Jan-22
And If you have time, take a couple of days to do some vacation in Merida The food is outstanding

• Sitka Gear