Bake 17-Jun-21
WVFarrier 22-Jun-21
kentuckbowhnter 22-Jun-21
drycreek 22-Jun-21
BIGHORN 22-Jun-21
TD 24-Jun-21
Whocares 24-Jun-21
16-Jun-21
Have you ever gone hunting with your trustworthy cell phone, only to have the damn thing ring out loud despite having set it on silent mode. Twice this has happened to me in 7 years, luckily not costing me an opportunity, that i know of. Has anyone had this problem or worse yet just forgot to turn it on silent and messed up a shot. You can't believe how loud it sounds in a quiet woods after sundown!

16-Jun-21
Yep! Last year, right at daylight, I had a group of does all around me. My phone, which was in my pack, reminded me that I forgot to put it on silent. Doh!! Fortunately the does just looked around and kept feeding.

16-Jun-21
I had mine go off totally forgot I even had it. Was full draw on a nice 8 at about 37 yards. He ran right to me and stopped at 16. He’s on my wall. If anything helped me lol.

16-Jun-21
Nope. Never

16-Jun-21
Enter stage left: Grumpy ol'man who would never take his cell phone into the woods, and will now proceed to berate you

16-Jun-21
I was sitting in a blind one fall in Ontario deer hunting. Had my iPhone in my pants pocket. I must have leaned on it and Siri started talking. Scared the crap out of me! Lol

16-Jun-21
Haha sito. If I could leave mine intentionally I would. Get all emergency calls for work tho. Don’t have a choice unfortunately except my vacation hunting week. Then I don’t have it with me

16-Jun-21
Last day of McAlester Oklahoma Ammunition Plant deer hunt and it may have been the first year they allowed cell phones (flip phones) in the hunting woods. My pack is on the back of the tree where I've hung my stand. My wife's ringtone (Touch of Gray by Grateful Dead) starts blasting away and as I turn around to silence it, a buck is behind me head down heading straight for my tree. I grabbed my bow while Jerry Garcia was playing away and the buck walked right into a broadside shot at 16 yards. He wasn't one of the famous "rock" bucks but his antlers have a good story sitting on the mantle.

My wife called to tell me the big 160" yard buck is now bedding in her flower bed. She's wondering why I'm spending the weekend in McAlester when this monster is 20 yards from the porch.

16-Jun-21
Bob I hope the buck you killed was close to the 160” pet you had hanging out in the yard haha!

16-Jun-21
I set my ring tone and notification sounds to an elk bugle. It has gone off several times while hunting elk and never hurt a thing!

16-Jun-21
Funny cell phone story. Text my son to see if had seen anything. Me: See anything Son: Shh does. Me: Why Shhh Son: My vibrator is loud. Me: Bahahahahahahaha

16-Jun-21
No need to silence mine. Where I deer hunt I don't have any cell service so no need to silence mine

16-Jun-21
Nick: the buck I killed was not even close to the yard buck which eventually just disappeared. His grandchildren bucks showed up this winter during the sub zero temps.

16-Jun-21
Sub zero…..sounds like my hunting season in a nutshell from thanksgiving on till December 31 lol

16-Jun-21

JL's Link
Use this as your cell phone ring tone......

16-Jun-21
Lost Arra……What’s the criteria for getting a rock buried at McAlester? Only hunted there once, back in the ‘80s. I can’t remember what it was.

Only been busted once by my phone ringing, while in the stand. Like MA-PAdeerslayer, I’m on call 24-7, so I always have my phone on me. We were doing our annual last weekend doe shoot. A buddy and I packed a couple of Lone Wolfs in on a big bedding flat early afternoon. I helped my buddy get his stand hung, and set mine up about 150yds away, on the edge of a big ravine. I barely got my bow pulled up, when I see a coyote coming down a trail, headed my way. We have a separate $ pool for coyotes during the doe shoot, and nobody has cashed it in for several years, so I was already counting my money as the yote continued my direction. I got an arrow nocked, the release clipped on, and the bow drawn, without getting busted. Only needed a few more steps, when my phone started sounding off. The coyote turned inside out, and blew out of there like his tail was on fire.

16-Jun-21
Only busted while texting about the lack of deer sightings 2 years ago. 10:00 a.m., no sightings. Oops, look behind me, yep 165 10 point at 30 yards looking into the treestand. Trot away, hurl and launch phone. Yep it happened.

16-Jun-21
Enter stage right: Another grumpy ol' man who tossed his cell phone upon retirement and has never missed it.

16-Jun-21
Yes, in a Antelope blind sit…Scared the crap out of me!

17-Jun-21
Yep.. three different times. Two of them I had the ringer off but it somehow got turned back on while in my pocket. But the worst one was about ten years ago when I had it on vibrate. Peak of the rut; afternoon stand at a broken wire fence crossing in Iowa. If I remember right, four does and a spikehorn jumped the fence right next to me and walked right under/past me. Three on one side and two on my other side. I "split the herd". Following them was a GIANT typical 6x6 that we were familiar with nicknamed Picket. He was absolutely B&C and probably measured in the mid 180s. He stopped just short of the fence crossing and was working an overhead limb at about 15 yds. It was a frontal angle so I was going to let him hop the fence and walk by like the others just did. My cell was in my jacket pocket on vibrate. It went off and he heard it, but just looked around and accepted the buzzing sound. As he was still standing there suddenly this little musical jingle thingy goes off to tell me I have a message. He absolutely turned inside out. POOF.. gone. I listened to the message. It was my loving daughter in Montana calling to tell me she loved/missed me. What can you say? I called her back and told her I loved her as well, but please don't love me so much in November, Ha. bw

17-Jun-21
t-Roy, you have to kill a buck that nets 125 to plant a rock. They are official scorers but as you can surmise, there’s no drying period. It a pretty cool tradition. Oh, and it’s traditional bows only.

17-Jun-21
Never. My cell does not make noises for calls or texts, nor does it vibrate. Never has, never will. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's being interrupted. When I'm on call, I carry a pager and whether awake or asleep, I feel like I'm on duty. When I'm off duty, I feel like no one has the right to have my immediate attention at all times. As you can guess, I hate cell phones and I resisted getting one till 2004.

I have, though, been caught by deer in stand while texting and missed shot opportunities because I had to put down the phone before picking up my bow.

17-Jun-21
Mine stays in the truck where it belongs, so no....never.

17-Jun-21
No.

17-Jun-21
Ring tone is crow, text is tweety birds. Let it go off...

17-Jun-21
Tweety bird for texts here too, just in case I forget to turn the volume down.

17-Jun-21
No. And if it did, I don’t think anything would hear it. I turn down the loudness of the ringtone….and it’s in my pocket.

17-Jun-21
Thanks Rick. Yeah, I knew it was traditional equipment only. The year I went, I borrowed a lefty recurve from another member of our archery club. Practiced most of the summer with it, and felt fairly confident out to 15-20 yds. Oh course, I ended up with a whopper standing at about 25!

17-Jun-21
I’ve actually found I can hunt more by having my phone with me. Lots of work can be done with texting. One of these texting while hunting times probably cost me a shot a mid 50s deer in Illinois. LOL.

17-Jun-21
I used to always have my phone off when hunting. When I was in college, my ex girlfriend ask why do you turn your phone off? Why not just silent it? I said I don’t know. So I went elk hunting that night. Right at dark. It got really quiet like it gets sometimes before dark. I got in between two bulls bugling and the one bull was coming cross. I was 30 yards from him as he went by some trees walking broadside. Once he popped out it would be a chip shot. As he was behind the tree, I was startled by this loud humming sound!! I was like what the heck is that? It took me a minute to realize that the sound was my phone vibrating. The bull stopped behind the tree and then took off running!! Dang it

17-Jun-21
I always try to turn volume down as low as it will go or off but I do leave it in “Crickett” mode where the ringer sounds like crickets and figure animals are used to that sound in the woods.

17-Jun-21
I'm in and out of courts a lot, so my phone is always on vibrate. And it's not too loud. Rarely does anyone call me, because anyone that knows me knows I don't answer phone calls very well :) So the answer is No, I've never been busted by my phone.

My phone has definitely helped my hunting far more than it has hurt it. I have Kindle and read constantly. And that allows me to stay on stand far longer than I ever could before.

22-Jun-21

WVFarrier's embedded Photo
WVFarrier's embedded Photo
This guy busted me while I was texting my wife. I never even saw him come in.

22-Jun-21
i have never had my phone ring while on silent, now i have forgotten to put it on silent and it rang.

22-Jun-21
I’ve forgotten to put mine on vibrate and had it ring, but nothing was in front of me. I was hog hunting one night though and had laid my phone on the shelf in a fiberglass deer stand. My buddy, who was a few hundred yards away, texted me and the vibration on that fiberglass shelf ran some hogs off that I hadn’t even seen yet. I heard them leave though………:-(

I put carpet on those shelves the next weekend.

22-Jun-21
I turn mine off but I put it in my backpack in case I would need it.

24-Jun-21
Normally vibrate, pretty rare I forget. More likely I forget to take it off vibrate, which has created an issue or two later on... We do text quite a bit for pickup spots, what are you seeing and a little help packing or blood trailing, etc.

Ring tone is an elk bugle (women hide their children behind them in supermarkets....) couple years ago on some pigs, arrow on a string, close, maybe 10 yards, pin drop quiet. She was feeding along and needed to take 3 or 4 more steps to a shooting lane. Bull elk goes off. Over and over. Not a pig in the bunch even lifted a head. Guarantee not a pig had ever heard an elk before, but guess it just sounded like a natural enough sound to them. Dropped the string on her a few seconds later.

Glad it wasn't a text..... that's a bullet ricochet......

24-Jun-21
Was sitting in my northern Mn deerstand a few years ago with my phone on vibrate. Felt it go off so opened the text. Was immediate loud howling of wolves as I fumbled to stop it! Nice buddy. Apparently you can attach things that sound off even though phone is supposedly silent. Anyway, figured I should share it with another friend I knew would be hunting about 50 miles away. Same deal. He opened it and had a wolf pack immediately howling out of his stand! Got immediate text back to the tune of "you SoB". Nothing like hunting buddies, eh?

• Sitka Gear