I would love any suggestions for hunting unit 40 DIY archery 2021 season

20-Jun-21
Which state?

20-Jun-21
Colorado

20-Jun-21
Sent you a PM.

20-Jun-21
For your sake after burning 14+ points, I hope you have a plan. You’ll want private access. The vast majority of elk during September will be on summer range which is almost exclusively private. But if you have a tag hopefully you have that figured out by now. To get trespass only without an outfitter is going to be really hard to find. Great hunt tho, with private access. If not, you may be in for a struggle and you’re going to have try to find some little piece of higher elevation public land, which is scarce. I’m probably not telling you anything you don’t already know if you applied for that unit. Also, this year, the elk won’t be far from water, again... private land.

20-Jun-21
If you have the legs for it…look to the head of Coates creek and McKenzie Canyon. It is steep as hell but there are usually big bulls in there during archery season. I have never failed to glass up a few bulls in that area during an archery season. That is a good jump off area for you to start scouting. If you wait until the season starts…you will have a very tough time. This area has plenty of public land but will require serious hiking to get into and get a bull out. This year…look for water. The biggest problem I have seen is that a lot of elk will stay on private because of water during the very dry years on 40.

21-Jun-21
Thanks for the suggestions! Do either of you know anyone I could contact for a possible trespass permit on some of the surrounding private land? If so, can I pm you? My concern is exactly what has been mentioned and that is the dry year and location of water sources mostly on private land.

21-Jun-21
Thanks for the suggestions! Do either of you know anyone I could contact for a possible trespass permit on some of the surrounding private land? If so, can I pm you? My concern is exactly what has been mentioned and that is the dry year and location of water sources mostly on private land.

21-Jun-21
I'm familiar with this unit. I'll echo was SDHNTR said.

21-Jun-21
Scatsnack, What you are looking for is a unicorn deal. There’s only one property I’m aware of that does trespass only and it’s tied up by a pretty tight knit group.

21-Jun-21
You have a great tag. I’d find the money for an outfitter if I were you, And honestly, I hate to say it but you are quite a bit late to the party. You will likely even have a hard time finding an outfitter this late.

21-Jun-21
I hear a lot about trespass fees and I plan to pay one when I draw. I am a NR with 13 points (14 now). From my research:

1. Hunt hard and plan on long steep hikes to hunt public elk.

2. Pay a trespass fee TO SOMEONE you are sure will get you into elk. I have known guys who paid and it was a total waste of $$$$

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I had a chance at drawing 3 or so years ago. Now, still years away................

21-Jun-21
Good luck with the trespass fees. I have looked for years. I am sitting on 22 points and keep trying to get 40 to work for me. There are really two options I have found. Legitimate trespass fees (very few and they are booked up a couple years in advance) and guided (again reputable outfitters have been booked for a few years. Just a warning, I have seen a few trespass offers for around $3500. When you actually look into the deal the owner has around 400 acres and you will have 10-15 people during the season on the same property. There are claims that is will get you access to huge expanses of public ground but I don’t feel this is a legitimate option.

I have seen 330 class bulls on public every time I been on a archery hunt in the unit with friends (four times now) and every time my friends have taken sub 300 class 5x5 with legitimate shots at 330 bulls. They are there but…we have always turned tags in on very dry years. I have seen the elk stay on private the entire season during dry years. I have over 7 weeks total on the unit during the archery hunts and countless hours scouting the unit. I feel I know it very well. Best of luck.

21-Jun-21
Sorry double post…

22-Jun-21
Probably the driest year I have seen in the past 20 years of living in 40.

23-Jun-21
keep hearing about how dry it is. I have a deer tag there this year. Praying for some rain!

23-Jun-21
Wonder with it being so dry if some guys turn in these primo tags for vultures like me? No tag in my pocket this year so will be watching how this plays out. But I am hoping for rain and guys get to use them.

• Sitka Gear