huntwhenican 29-Jun-21
LINK 29-Jun-21
jordanathome 30-Jun-21
loggerchas 30-Jun-21
WYOelker 30-Jun-21
SlipShot 30-Jun-21
WYOelker 30-Jun-21
20-Jun-21
Looking for an all around pack for my some age 11, but a tall skinny 11.

He wants to back pack into a few lakes this summer and Fish, but also hunts hard. So what are our best options? A pack that can grow with him, that can pack an elk quarter and carry his sleep system, clothes and water?

20-Jun-21
Looking for an all around pack for my some age 11, but a tall skinny 11.

He wants to back pack into a few lakes this summer and Fish, but also hunts hard. So what are our best options? A pack that can grow with him, that can pack an elk quarter and carry his sleep system, clothes and water?

21-Jun-21
What kind of budget? Always a tough one when they are growing so fast at that age!

21-Jun-21
I'm thinking something around 3000 cubic inches with suspension that can adjust to get bigger. Mystery Ranch maybe?

21-Jun-21
I would look at the KUIU Pro packs. I got one for my son when he was 14.

21-Jun-21
I have a Gregory that adjusted down to fit my 11 YO last summer.

21-Jun-21
Find one big enough to Fit all of your stuff in addition to his. It’ll need to fit him well though.. Kids are tough!

21-Jun-21
SBH, if it can grow with him and be used for a couple years then I could easily justify $500+. But if I can’t find one to adjust up then I want to stay around $200 as it will only be a 1-2 year pack as he grows like a weed…

22-Jun-21
I bought a big (90L) High Sierra for a trip with the kids figuring I would have a lot of extra weight with some luxury items to make it fun for them. Cheap, but I don't need that much space normally and my son used my normal pack so I figured I could tough out one 12 mile trip with it. Its not like a high end pack but actually worked great. I grew up with external frames and the first internals so even budget packs today have features and fit that are decent. I was comfortable loaded heavy and no complaints especially for the price.

When I was 11 I went on my first backpacking trip with a borrowed ill-fitting external frame back in the late 70's. I'm sure it wasn't comfortable at all but all my memories from the trip are of how fun it was. I wouldn't spend a whole bunch.

29-Jun-21
The Deuter Fox 30 has served my kids well. The torso length is adjustable. My son hunted in it until he was 15.

29-Jun-21

LINK's Link
This is about as cheap a bag you can get that still has the overload feature for packing meat. Yoke is adjustable so as long as you get the belt with some growing room it could last him until he wears it out assuming he doesn’t put on 12” of waist. ;)

30-Jun-21

jordanathome's Link
If I still had my ALPS outdoor z pack I'd send it to ya for him.

This stripped down version is set for meat hauling, but you can easily strap in a large duffel bag to carry clothing, sleeping bag, and gear. You can see there are buckle connections on the sides to help strap it in, even if the inside wings are being used to hold an elk quarter in place. More cheaper than most of the other named options.

Good luck finding the right pack for the kiddo!

30-Jun-21

loggerchas's embedded Photo
loggerchas's embedded Photo

loggerchas's Link
Western Edge Gear makes great packs for youth and small framed adults. My kid has used one for 3 years and at 5'4" has not outgrown it. Based on a Kifaru design but fun-sized.

30-Jun-21

WYOelker's embedded Photo
This with a north face 20 degree bag for $25!!! Lucky find!
WYOelker's embedded Photo
This with a north face 20 degree bag for $25!!! Lucky find!
Guys I love all the suggestions. We ended up finding a killer deal for him. Not a meat hauling/hunting pack but we got this Kelly coyotes which has not been used with a 20 degree north face bag. Both were virtually brand new a bit older but never used. We paid $25.

The pack on the very smallest settings fits him perfect. Giving us a couple years of growth before needing replaced. The other bonus is the pack adjust and fits my wife perfect as well. So when he is done we can still use it.

This also gives us the chance to hit the trails and see if it is something he really wants to hit hard in the future.

I ended up finding a Metcalf in the green color that was new and talked the guy to $300. So we got a super cool setup going!!!

30-Jun-21
there are a lot of manufactures where you can purchase the frame and bag separate. Then as he grows you can replace the frame reducing future cost. I love my Stone Glacier!

30-Jun-21
Guys I love all the suggestions. We ended up finding a killer deal for him. Not a meat hauling/hunting pack but we got this Kelly coyotes which has not been used with a 20 degree north face bag. Both were virtually brand new a bit older but never used. We paid $25.

The pack on the very smallest settings fits him perfect. Giving us a couple years of growth before needing replaced. The other bonus is the pack adjust and fits my wife perfect as well. So when he is done we can still use it.

This also gives us the chance to hit the trails and see if it is something he really wants to hit hard in the future.

I ended up finding a Metcalf in the green color that was new and talked the guy to $300. So we got a super cool setup going!!!

• Sitka Gear