Rgiesey 22-Jun-21
Novembermadman 22-Jun-21
BOHNTR 22-Jun-21
Novembermadman 22-Jun-21
BOHNTR 22-Jun-21
BOHNTR 22-Jun-21
wildwilderness 22-Jun-21
21-Jun-21
I was fortunate enough to draw my desired unit for antelope, and would like anyone interested to please post their harvest pics with scores for reference.

I hunted antelope 1 other time, so I don’t have a lot of experience in judging them, and any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I used my 6 points for the tag, and my goal is to get a Pope and Young qualifying animal.

Thanks to all who post!

21-Jun-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Before death
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Before death
Official P&Y/B&C score 84 1/8 Net 86 2/8 gross

21-Jun-21

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
70 0/8 Net

21-Jun-21

JohnMC's Link
Decent info on judging them in this video

21-Jun-21
Thanks John

Those are great antelope!

I’ve watched that video before, and also have his book. He makes it sound easy, but man they are tough to tell for me. I do know if I see one like the first one you posted, I know I wouldn’t have to think about it!

21-Jun-21
I think the thing I notice when looking at goats is mass. If they have it it sticks out. If they have good mass they are probably going to make P&Y. If you at enough goats you will know a good one when you see him. I have hunted them a lot of years. I still have a hard time pin pointing a score. I had guess the guy above high 70s maybe 80” but I was obviously off on my guess, but I never would have guessed his bases were 8” either.

21-Jun-21

Novembermadman 's embedded Photo
That's a heckuva buck John.... dang! Mass is king on just about everything you score but more-so on speed goats. You get 4 circumference measurements so that really adds up. Great forks will also add to the score so don't overlook that. This is my best buck..... nets 78 4/8".

21-Jun-21
Not only are 8 of the 12 measurements circumference measurements, but the prong length also contains approximately a half of another circumference measurement since it starts at the back of the horn. So, as was said, mass is by far the most important on antelope, or at least that's what I've heard.

21-Jun-21

74" and change.

21-Jun-21
Come on Marv, post a pic of your world record antelope!

21-Jun-21
Thanks so far guys. I am an official P&Y/B&C measurer, and completely understand the mass part of the score. Living in Ohio, I have yet to get to measure an antelope, so hands on I’ve only held 4. Pics are great so far.

Novembermadman I would guess the difference in your two scores IS the mass, since they look pretty similar otherwise.

21-Jun-21
Yes, that is correct. The bigger one has the other one beat in everything except the prongs. The best way I was able to judge was looking at the ears. Pretty much every goat has the same size ears. You can use the ears to judge the length of the horns as well as the mass. They are a trip to hunt for! They were an annual hunt for me back years ago up around Gillette. Middle to late September was really fun as they were in the peak of their rut at that time.

21-Jun-21

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
If you want a P&Y buck, don't shoot one much smaller than this one! Official score 67-2/8ths.

21-Jun-21

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
73 and change…

21-Jun-21
If the prongs are above the ears it is probably a good one. One that the tops curl a lot can be a lot taller than it looks and the opposite is true if there tips go straight up than can look a lot better than they are at first glance.

21-Jun-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
77 2/8” net

21-Jun-21

GFL's embedded Photo
GFL's embedded Photo
I go for ugly most of the time

21-Jun-21
That guy was identifying as a sheep!

21-Jun-21

GFL's embedded Photo
GFL's embedded Photo
I didn’t put a tape on this one

21-Jun-21
I was told to look for mass, prong length and horn length….Pretty much in that order! However I also like the, ‘if you like him, shoot him’ deal too…Lol

21-Jun-21

Treeline's embedded Photo
71 6/8” Colorado
71 6/8” Colorado
74 and change Wyoming
74 and change Wyoming
71, 74, and 80
71, 74, and 80
If it looks like John’s, shoot it! Hell of a goat!

If it looks pretty, shoot it!

21-Jun-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
77 2/8” net

21-Jun-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
If you see one like this.....SHOOT! :)

22-Jun-21
Thanks for all the info guys. You all have some high quality animals there and some good reference photos. Roy if that thing walked in I don’t think I would be able to draw my bow! I will be spending a day before the hunt looking around my area and doing my best to judge what is there. I’m secretly hoping that several bucks show up to water at one time so I can compare multiple animals together.

22-Jun-21

Rgiesey's embedded Photo
Rgiesey's embedded Photo
Just under PNY. Within a quarter

22-Jun-21
What's the story behind that freak of nature Roy? Wow!!

22-Jun-21
Last years AZ governors tag animal, I believe. Way out of our price range! :)

22-Jun-21
We could always sell our house to pay for it Roy.... that MIGHT cover it! Amazing animal nonetheless!

22-Jun-21
Ha.....isn’t that the truth!

22-Jun-21

22-Jun-21

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Fun hunt
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Fun hunt
Not officially scored but was 75” gross. Good mass but short horns

• Sitka Gear