Norseman 28-Jun-21
32Timbers 28-Jun-21
Lost Arra 28-Jun-21
Pat Lefemine 28-Jun-21
Norseman 28-Jun-21
scentman 27-Oct-23
jjs 27-Oct-23
28-Jun-21
Is anyone here familiar with this tractor? 301. It has a 3 point, PTO and 46 HP. Would a corn planter hookup to it? I do not know anything about tractors. My neighbor currently plants for me but I would like to start doing it myself. Any pros or cons if you have them. Would mostly be for just mowing trails and working small plots. Thanks!

28-Jun-21
I think it is the industrial equivalent of the JD 2020 row crop/utility tractor. Solid bullet proof tractor of it’s time built right, back in the day. Gas or diesel. Should meet needs for mowing, plowing, disc, drag etc with 46 hp. Plenty of power. Look at the hours. Many of those were used as county maintenance machines and hours of them were dusty. At 3800# I would add some weight to the front if you are going to plow with it. I got a 1020 gas with 1800 hours last year. Runs like a top.

28-Jun-21
Made ‘71 to ‘73. Gas or diesel engine options. 3 point was an option so good it has it. Likely could use a two row planter, no trouble.

I’d check with your local JD dealer to see if parts are available….almost 50 yr old unit with a short window they were manufactured. Seems it possibly was a lesser known industrial tractor.

HP (46) and weight (3800#) are fine for mowing and other narrow implements for food plots too.

Good luck with your choice!

28-Jun-21

Norseman 's embedded Photo
JD 1020. 301/301a were yellow and sometimes orange in color

28-Jun-21
JD are good old tractors,would be better if had a bucket,never buy a tricycle front end

28-Jun-21

I put a model 47 loader on my 1020. Got it dirt cheap for $1000 with bucket. Put about $500 in hoses fittings and 2 lever spool controller. I use my loader daily. Highly recommend like Habitat mentions.

28-Jun-21
Thanks for the input. Im gonna go for it.

28-Jun-21
Look underneath for hemorrhaging fluid where money leaks out. Pull the dip stick. Is it oil or milk ? Look into some check chains for your brush hog. Much easier on old hydraulics. Old tractors are cool. Front end loaders are even cooler.

28-Jun-21
So many questions to answer before anyone can recommend a used tractor. They are good machines but they are old and one bad owner can destroy a good tractor.

Does it have rear hydraulic ports? Does it have a loader? How many hours? Any leaks?

If you’re new to tractors find someone locally who knows tractors and ask them their opinion.

Good luck

28-Jun-21
Oh and test fluids and hydraulics before you buy for sure. Power steering, 3 point lift arms and clutch. Look and listen for chattering, whining etc. lots to go wrong on older tractors , but if you have moderate mechanical skills you can fix most problems yourself.

27-Oct-23
Resale value alone is a good reason to purchase a Deere.

27-Oct-23
Remember the model coming through the line when working for J.D. Tractor Works, sad that pu trucks are not built the same way, still be driving one.

• Sitka Gear