wildwilderness 22-Jul-21
wildwilderness 22-Jul-21
hunt forever 22-Jul-21
wildwilderness 23-Jul-21
Hancock West 23-Jul-21
wildwilderness 23-Jul-21
StickFlicker 23-Jul-21
01-Jul-21
This African adventure started the year covid hit. A friend and me bought 2 African hunts located in South Africa. The hunting package allows allows us to bring 1 free observer each. They observer is allowed to hunt animals from thr hunters list of animals!! I knew right away that person would be my daughter!! She loves to bow hunt almost as much as me. The long and short of the story we're finally headed that way.

On our way to the airport we got the dreaded airline text!! Your flight has been delayed. I knew that meant we would miss our flight from Newark to Johannesburg and it did. So, United found a route through Amsterdam with Delta. This would only had another 5 hours to our trip. I was relieved because I knew it could've been worse.

We finally arrived in Johannesburg the following day and we're worn smooth out!! Lol

South Africa has issued a curfew from 5am to 9pm due to the increase in covid cases. The outfitter had a driver pick us up and move us to a lodge in Pretoria for the night. In the morning, the outfitter will drive us to the hunting lodge located in the northern part of South Africa.

01-Jul-21
That curfew doesn't make sense. That's all daylight hours. Did you mean 9 pm to 5 am? Just asking because I'm going soon as well and need to plan apparently. Does that mean that you can't even be out driving on the roads or highways past 9 pm? My landing time in JBurg keeps getting pushed later and later, so that's going to be cutting it close to get to the lodge in time.

Also, everyone says it's illegal to even have broadheads in your luggage flying through Amsterdam. You didn't have any problem with them confiscating them from your luggage? Glad you arrived safely, and good luck on your hunt. Thanks for taking us along.

01-Jul-21
I meant 9pm to 5am. Lol

01-Jul-21
Good luck 59 more days for us till we leave

01-Jul-21
What outfitter are you with? This will be awesome, best of luck to you and your daughter!!!!!

01-Jul-21
It’s a haul getting there even without delays, but it’s worth it. Looking forward to your updates. That first animal in the salt sets the tone for the rest of the trip.

01-Jul-21
Thats a great a hunt,I took my daughter after graduation. It was with a rifle but she was the only one in camp that had 1 shot kills the whole week.Have a blast

01-Jul-21
Looking forward to your stories and many, many pics !

01-Jul-21
Bring the adventure on !!

01-Jul-21
Good luck

02-Jul-21

hunt forever's embedded Photo
We stayed the night at Murry Place in Peterioa. The was a cute place with a great breakfast.

02-Jul-21

02-Jul-21

02-Jul-21

Here's the massive to go breakfest

02-Jul-21

After about a 3 hour drive north, we arrived to the outfitters beautiful lodge!!

03-Jul-21

03-Jul-21

The rooms where amazing especially considering the lodge is in the middle of nowhere.

03-Jul-21

03-Jul-21

03-Jul-21

03-Jul-21
When speaking with Warner the owner and operator, I found out that he designed and built the entire lodge. He has at least 20 building from sleeping quarters to entire skiing building. I'll take more pictures of them today. The crazy thing he had to pour the slabs by hand using bags of concrete and mixing them by hand. No concrete trucks or pumps trucks!!

03-Jul-21
A good friend, Brian, was supposed to be bowhunting that consession this month, but he had to postpone when his son got injured and couldn't make the trip. I'm anxious to see how it goes for you.

03-Jul-21
Sounds like a nice trip, what on your list?

03-Jul-21
Day 1 I have the following animals on my list. 1. Sable 2. Zebra 3. Blesbuck 4. Blue Wildebeest 5. Gemsbuck 6. Springbuck common

We decided to start the morning off chasing Sable and would try sitting a water hole. One the way to the water hole, we saw 2 Sable bulls. The bigger one was pushing around the smaller bull. The larger bull was a thing of beauty with a jet black coat and sweeping horns. We decided to see if we could get within bow range of him. When we made it to 50 yards, I decided to take the shoot before he decided to run after the other buck. I settled my pin about 5in straight above the leg. Then let the arrow fly. I could see my lighted nock flying towards the bull and hitting my mark. The bull darted off in month dead run into the thick bush but only made it 50 yards before collapsing. I double lung that majestic animal.

03-Jul-21

03-Jul-21

03-Jul-21
Wow, nicely done!

Perfect encounter, to start off your first Day!

03-Jul-21
Great start! Congratulations on your first African animal. It will always hold a special place in your memories.

03-Jul-21
Congrats on a great start! Looks like perfect shot placement on the sable, as well!

03-Jul-21
Beautiful, majestic bull !! One of the prettiest animal of Africa. Congrats on a great shot and trophy !!

03-Jul-21
Congrats! Beautiful sable. Looks like 5 star accommodations.

03-Jul-21
What a great trip! Quite an experience for your daughter!! Great Sable! Can't wait to see/hear about the rest of the trip!

04-Jul-21
Keep it coming

04-Jul-21
Fun trip!

What a Dandy Sable

Good luck, Robb

04-Jul-21
Great Sable congrats!

04-Jul-21
What a beautiful animal ! Congratulations on a good start, and an adventure that both of you will remember forever.

04-Jul-21
Congrats. Looking forward to the rest of your trip.

04-Jul-21
Good luck on the rest of your trip. Can't wait to take my daughter to Africa to experience that adventure. Beautiful sable. By far my favorite animal in the trophy room.

04-Jul-21
We got back to camp for a  quick lunch before we headed back out for the afternoon hunt. This afternoon we headed to a different blind. It was a wooden blind sitting at ground level. We quickly had a herd of Eland females come into feed. About an hour later a small heard of Impala tried approaching the water but the Evans wanted no part of them interfering with their dinner. Close to dark we had a group of 4 Blue Wildebeest approach the water but they offered no shot.

We had a wonderful dinner this evening sitting around the fire visiting with friends and hunters. 

04-Jul-21

04-Jul-21

04-Jul-21

Lunch!!

04-Jul-21

Lunch!!

04-Jul-21

This evening dinner!!

04-Jul-21

You can choose to eat inside or around the camp fire!!

04-Jul-21
So far, we've had Eland and kudo for dinner which has been a great treat.

04-Jul-21

Day 2

Today was a rough day to be honest. We sit a waterhole all day and nothing came into feed or water. We did see a few Impala about 150 yards off but they had no interest in joining us for dinner!!

We had another great dinner!!!

04-Jul-21

Day 2

Today was a rough day to be honest. We sit a waterhole all day and nothing came into feed or water. We did see a few Impala about 150 yards off but they had no interest in joining us for dinner!!

We had another great dinner!!!

05-Jul-21
Beautiful sable and the accommodations look amazing! Can’t wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

05-Jul-21
Was the wind wrong on the waterhole on Day 2?

05-Jul-21
Good question Buffalo1. I don't recall ever having a day in Africa where nothing came in. There are days when things try to come in and are spooked by the wind, but some always make it in for at least a little bit before the winds swirl.

05-Jul-21
No, the wind was in our face most of the time. Their just not hitting the water like normal is my understanding.

05-Jul-21

Day 3

Today was definitely better then yesterday. The PH decided to move locations to a spacious elevated blind over looking a small pond. We had 5 Sable's, 4 Nyala does, Lechwe and a warthog come into thr blind through out the day. It appears the animals are watering at night. This year was really wet and there's still alot of feed left for them to graze on. We did have  the opportunity to see a White Rhino. They're an incredible animal and hugh!! 

05-Jul-21

06-Jul-21
Day 4

Today, we decided to try a little spot and stalk action due to the lack of water hole activity. We got on a couple groups of springbucks but couldn't close the distance before they spotted us. After, a couple hours we finally closed the gap on a nice buck that was by himself which made all the difference. Like the saying goes, 2 eyes are better then 20. Well, if its not a saying it should be!!

We got lucky on the tracking job and watch the spring buck fall down within sight. We quickly ran over to the springbuck to watch a thing of wonder. When the spring buck dies the white patch on it's back rise up.  For everyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about within a couple minutes after a springbuck dies a large white stripe that runs along its lower back stands on end and flares out. It's difficult to describe but it reminds me of a flower quickly opening up and closing back all in a few seconds. As I watched this happened, I thought how beautiful but at the same time had a sense of sadness. It was as if its spirit had departed at that very moment. It was an experience I will not forget.

After, we took the spring buck to the skinning rack we decided to head back out and try and locate a blesbuck. It didn't take us long to locate a herd with a mature buck in the group. We played cat and mouse with with the group for a few hours before getting into bow range. The buck finally presented a slightly hard quartering away shot which I personally do not mind taking. It's a deadly shot when made correctly. The arrow entered near the back ham and ended up near near brisket. The entire arrow from the broadhead to the nock was lodged into the buck. We intensely watch the buck run off  for about 70 yards before taking his last few steps.

We decided to hunt a water hole this evening with the hopes of seeing a gemsbuck. However the gemsbuck alluded us but we did see some Sable and Tsessebe. Back at it tomorrow!!!

06-Jul-21

Day 4

Today, we decided to try a little spot and stalk action due to the lack of water hole activity. We got on a couple groups of springbucks but couldn't close the distance before they spotted us. After, a couple hours we finally closed the gap on a nice buck that was by himself which made all the difference. Like the saying goes, 2 eyes are better then 20. Well, if its not a saying it should be!!

We got lucky on the tracking job and watch the spring buck fall down within sight. We quickly ran over to the springbuck to watch a thing of wonder. When the spring buck dies the white patch on it's back rise up.  For everyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about within a couple minutes after a springbuck dies a large white stripe that runs along its lower back stands on end and flares out. It's difficult to describe but it reminds me of a flower quickly opening up and closing back all in a few seconds. As I watched this happened, I thought how beautiful but at the same time had a sense of sadness. It was as if its spirit had departed at that very moment. It was an experience I will not forget.

After, we took the spring buck to the skinning rack we decided to head back out and try and locate a blesbuck. It didn't take us long to locate a herd with a mature buck in the group. We played cat and mouse with with the group for a few hours before getting into bow range. The buck finally presented a slightly hard quartering away shot which I personally do not mind taking. It's a deadly shot when made correctly. The arrow entered near the back ham and ended up near near brisket. The entire arrow from the broadhead to the nock was lodged into the buck. We intensely watch the buck run off  for about 70 yards before taking his last few steps.

We decided to hunt a water hole this evening with the hopes of seeing a gemsbuck. However the gemsbuck alluded us but we did see some Sable and Tsessebe. Back at it tomorrow!!!

06-Jul-21

06-Jul-21

06-Jul-21

06-Jul-21
You are taking some beautiful trophies. Congrats !

When is your daughter on deck and what animal is she in pursuit of?

07-Jul-21
Great job on taking two spot and stalk trophies so far! You didn't mention the "cotton candy" smell that is reported to accompany the rising of the hair on the back of the springbok due to the gland on their back.

07-Jul-21
We are trying to get an animal within 30yard that feeding or watering.

I didnt get a chance to smell the odor unfortunately. It all happened so quick.

07-Jul-21
Day 5

This area had a very wet year and alot of the leaves remain on the tress and  graze in the fields. This is cause for the slower then normal water hole activity. We are still seeing animals just not the numbers compared to a normal dry year.  The outfitter and guide are doing a great job adjusting to the situation.

We're after a Gumsbuck now and have tried stalking them but it's a large group of 30 plus animals and they stay in the open areas. They have been one of the more difficult animals to stalk.  The blesbuck was right there with the gemsbuck but we had fewer eyes so that helped with the stalk. So, we decided to hunt a waterhole today close to where the gemsbuck generally hang out and do another all day hunt.

We started off seeing Sable, Tsessebe and a few Impala does.  About an 1 hour into the hunt we see a shooter Impala walking towards us. He stops about 90 yards and gives the blind a good look over. He decides something doesn't look right and turns into the woods to our right. We decide to close all the windows thinking he might have noticed the light from them. About 45 minutes later he suddenly walks out of the brush to our right just 20 yards from our blind. It's finally the perfect setup for Brylee. I slowly open the blind window and get her in position. Now, it's all up to her. She waits for the Impala to get broadside by taking a few more steps. The does caught me opening the window and are staring directly into the blind. The buck gets into a good position, so she pulls back her bow. As, I sat there in complete anguish, I remeber thinking, please make a good shot, please make a good shot, please make a good shot, while I'm watching the buck. Then, I hear her shoot and see the arrow hit the Impala square in the shoulder. The buck jumps 8ft in the air. Then runs 40 yards and stops with its legs shacking it stumbles to the ground.  We all got overly excited when we saw the buck go down in front of us. At this point everyone is giving each other fist bumps and yelling with excitement. Brylee's is so excited she is shaking. The thrills of being young!! I cherish these special moments with her and pray they'll last a lifetime. After taking a ton of pictures, we headed to the skinning shed to drop off her Impala.

We decided to take a much needed bathroom break and head back to the blind.

07-Jul-21

07-Jul-21

07-Jul-21

07-Jul-21
That is awesome. Great shot really nice trophy Congrats to all

07-Jul-21
This is an awesome thread! I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and we have been taking small adventures. That is a trip of a lifetime.

07-Jul-21
Beautiful impala. Great trophies so far. Hope you get the gemsbok.

07-Jul-21
Awesome!!! My 3 year old will be out with me opening day of bow in MA in the blind. And my 5 year old will up in our double ladder stand for a September bear adventure! They’re both so excited it’s gonna be a long few months

07-Jul-21
Awesome shot on the impala. Super Congrats on a fine trophy !!

07-Jul-21
Great day for you! That impala has highly unusual coloring. Its face looks like a black-faced impala, but they're a semi-endangered species. The back of it looks like maybe it was cross-bred with a black impala? Did the guides mention anything about why the coloring is so unique? Beautiful animal.

08-Jul-21
They call it a Saddleback impala, unusual coloration

08-Jul-21
That is 1 sweet Impala , congrats to you! I know your hunt is going tough I understand have been there myself, everyone always feels Africa is a walk in the park and its not. way to stick with it and adjust

08-Jul-21
Day 5 evening

We decided to take a much needed bathroom break and head back to the blind. Through out the day we continued to see animals at the blind. About an hour before dark they really started to pile in. We had 20 Impala, 2 Sable and 4 Tsessebe. Still no gemsbuck, until 30min before sunset. I look up and see a gemsbuck at the waterhole with others behind him. They start piling into the water hole. They kept moving around trying to get a spot to drink. The guide tells me which one to shoot. I slowly pull back my bow and take aim at the shoulder. Then, suddenly it turns  away from me. I held back my bow for a good 30sec but felt longer. Finally, the gemsbuck presents a slightly quarting away shot. I place the pin right behind the shoulder so to exit on the opposite shoulder and let it fly. I see the arrow strike the gemsbuck. The gemsbuck takes off at a dead run but we don't see it go down!! We lose sight of the animal. This makes me a little nervous not seeing it go down but I felt confident it was a good shoot but unfortunately I've thought that before. We get out of the blind and begin to track. The trackers follow the trail for roughly 120 yards before finding it laying in grass. What a beautiful animal!!!

08-Jul-21

08-Jul-21

08-Jul-21
Very nice gemsbok. Congrats !

09-Jul-21
Man-o-Man you 2 are having a Great trip

Thanks for bringing us along,

Robb

09-Jul-21
Congrats on a nice tall female. Perfect shot placement

09-Jul-21
Congrats on your Gemsbok. They make a great mount. What’s next?

09-Jul-21
There was a male in the group but they moved around on me at the last sec and I shoot the bigger female. Lol

It didn't bother me but they would've preferred you to shoot males.

09-Jul-21
I still have a blue wildebeest and zebra. The outfitter is willing to swap animals for us which really helps.

09-Jul-21

Day 6

We decided to set another water hole today to try for my blue wildebeest. In the first hour we saw 3 baboons but they never got into bow range. Later that morning, we had a herd of Impala's come into water with one really good buck. I managed to get my bow pulled back but he moved before I could get a shot off. Later that morning we had a group of Eland and Giraffe come in and spend an hour eating all the feed. Lol An hour before dark, we had a small group of Blue Wildebeest visit us but no shooters in the group. We will try again tomorrow.

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

Here's a few pictures of our top notch lodge!!

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21

09-Jul-21
WOW, what an unbelievable experience for that young gal ,,,,,, and you of course.

09-Jul-21
Rock steady & let it just happen !!

10-Jul-21

Day 7 I wanted to tried some more spot stalk for blue wildebeest this morning. We found a large group but couldn't make it work. We headed back for lunch and then back out to set a new water hole. This evening we saw a female duiker and 2 Rhino's.

10-Jul-21

10-Jul-21
I'm assuming no BLACK MAMBA'S. lol

10-Jul-21
I am enjoying your safari!! What a wonderful father, daughter experience. Thank you for letting me tag along from a distance.

11-Jul-21
You had originally mentioned that black wildebeest was on your wish list. They don't occur too much in that province. Are you seeing any of them even driving around?

11-Jul-21

Day 8

The outfitter received some permits for Crocodile last night and asked if I wanted to go after one. He said they have a local river that has a good number of Crocodile that we could go after with my bow. He didn't have to ask me twice!!! They were saying how they have never killed a crocodile with less the 5 arrows. They suggested I place the arrow  directly behind the arm. That got me thinking, so I decided to do some research the night on the anatomy of a crocodile. The little info I found suggested the lungs and heart were actually located at least 4in back from the arm and a touch low. I decided to aim for that location instead of behind the shoulder. I let the outfitter know and he said go for it. That morning we headed out looking for a crocodile. We found one around 10am that we thought was 10 1/2 and it was in a good location for a bow. After giving it a little thought I decided to pass the gator. I really wanted one in the 11ft range. I wasn't aiming for thr moon but wanted one at least 11ft. We didn't find another crocodile that day.

The next morning we went back out and located a good crocodile in a very good location. He was sitting on the edge of the water. We slipped into 30 yards and I took aim 4in back from the arm and a touch low. When I release the arrow I knew it was a little lower then I wanted. The crocodile quicly raised its head and arched its back. Then, I saw a pool of blood surround him. He quickly went into the water and  disappeared for a few minutes. He quickly resurfaced and  slowly went towards the bank about 50 yards from us.  He eventually made it to the waters edge with only the top of its body exposed. The guide decided to play the patience game and to wait. We waited and watched the  crocc for about 20min. Then he started to move out of the water so that only his belly remained in the water.  At this point, the  crocc started arching his head and back high into the air. It apeeared to me he was trying to breath. All the sudden he went back into the water and started to slowly roll. We quickly ran to him and placed two more arrows into his body. He slowly sank into the waters edge. He wasn't more then a few feet from the bank. So, the tractors grabbed some rebar hooks and rope to snag the crocodile. It only took a few cast and they had him hooked and on the bank  I believe the crocc was actually dieing and only had a few minutes left but better safe then sorry. Thaf was a crazy and exciting experience for my daughter and me!! I will try and post the video when I get back into the states.

When back at the skinning shed and decided to investigate the shot and Antony of my crocc. I was arm deep in the crocc while all the native spinners and trackers where laughing at . I got the insides out of the crocc and located the lungs. The lungs of a crocc look nothing like a mammals. They appear more like a blop of frog eggs. Their longer then tall and shaped like a rectangle. I actually only hit the front part of the lungs. After, taking all this information into account, the lungs of this crocc started 4in back from from leg and ran another 6in. If I ever shoot another crocc I would aim 6in to 7in back from the leg and about and 1 1/2 below the leg.

11-Jul-21

Day 8

The outfitter received some permits for Crocodile last night and asked if I wanted to go after one. He said they have a local river that has a good number of Crocodile that we could go after with my bow. He didn't have to ask me twice!!! They were saying how they have never killed a crocodile with less the 5 arrows. They suggested I place the arrow  directly behind the arm. That got me thinking, so I decided to do some research the night on the anatomy of a crocodile. The little info I found suggested the lungs and heart were actually located at least 4in back from the arm and a touch low. I decided to aim for that location instead of behind the shoulder. I let the outfitter know and he said go for it. That morning we headed out looking for a crocodile. We found one around 10am that we thought was 10 1/2 and it was in a good location for a bow. After giving it a little thought I decided to pass the gator. I really wanted one in the 11ft range. I wasn't aiming for thr moon but wanted one at least 11ft. We didn't find another crocodile that day.

The next morning we went back out and located a good crocodile in a very good location. He was sitting on the edge of the water. We slipped into 30 yards and I took aim 4in back from the arm and a touch low. When I release the arrow I knew it was a little lower then I wanted. The crocodile quicly raised its head and arched its back. Then, I saw a pool of blood surround him. He quickly went into the water and  disappeared for a few minutes. He quickly resurfaced and  slowly went towards the bank about 50 yards from us.  He eventually made it to the waters edge with only the top of its body exposed. The guide decided to play the patience game and to wait. We waited and watched the  crocc for about 20min. Then he started to move out of the water so that only his belly remained in the water.  At this point, the  crocc started arching his head and back high into the air. It apeeared to me he was trying to breath. All the sudden he went back into the water and started to slowly roll. We quickly ran to him and placed two more arrows into his body. He slowly sank into the waters edge. He wasn't more then a few feet from the bank. So, the tractors grabbed some rebar hooks and rope to snag the crocodile. It only took a few cast and they had him hooked and on the bank  I believe the crocc was actually dieing and only had a few minutes left but better safe then sorry. Thaf was a crazy and exciting experience for my daughter and me!! I will try and post the video when I get back into the states.

When back at the skinning shed and decided to investigate the shot and Antony of my crocc. I was arm deep in the crocc while all the native spinners and trackers where laughing at . I got the insides out of the crocc and located the lungs. The lungs of a crocc look nothing like a mammals. They appear more like a blop of frog eggs. Their longer then tall and shaped like a rectangle. I actually only hit the front part of the lungs. After, taking all this information into account, the lungs of this crocc started 4in back from from leg and ran another 6in. If I ever shoot another crocc I would aim 6in to 7in back from the leg and about and 1 1/2 below the leg.

11-Jul-21

11-Jul-21
A croc with a bow. And one arrow, Amazing! Congrats. I wonder how many crocs have been killed with one arrow.

11-Jul-21
When the trackers got into the water to retrieve the gator, my daughter came unglued. Lol

11-Jul-21
Not gator lol crocodile. That mistake should help everyone determine the area I live. Lll

11-Jul-21
Your living the dream thanks for sharing your adventure.

11-Jul-21
What an adventure that you and your daughter will share forever ! Thanks for sharing it with us also !

12-Jul-21

Day 8 evening

After we had lunch, the guide decided we should try some more spot and stalk on some blue and black wildebeest. Brylee decided she needed a break from the long days hunting over waterholes.  We chased some Blue and black wildebeest along with a few blesbuck and  this continued until about an hour before dark. Finally we decided to drive to a near by water hole and hunt the last hour of light.  Within 10 minutes we had some Nyala females  stop by for a drink and about 20mins later we had a heard of copper blesbucks  join them. There was a good buck in the group and the copper looked cool.  Well,  now I have a copper blesbuck. Lol

We decided to wait before getting out of the blind in case something else decided to vist the water. At last light, we see a large Nyala walking towards us. I get very excited by my guides reaction to the size of Nyala.  It's very  nervous and takes a quick drink but is facing towards me. It quickly turns to walk away but stops at 30 yards to look around the waterhole.  That was a mistake!!!

It turned out to be one heck of a day!!!

12-Jul-21

12-Jul-21

12-Jul-21

12-Jul-21
Awesome experience going on here !! Congrats again.

12-Jul-21
Awesome! Thanks for taking us all along!

12-Jul-21
The Nyala hide has beautiful marking and color. I heard they were beautiful but wow.

12-Jul-21
Where’s your copper blesbok picture?

I have to say the Nyala is the prettiest African animal! That’s a nice one

12-Jul-21
Two of the most handsome African animals in my book are the Nyala and the Sable, and you have them both ! Now that croc is fugly, but a wonderful trophy nevertheless, so congrats on that. Your shooting seems to leave little to be desired also ! I might say the same about your daughter, let her shoot some more stuff ! ;-)

12-Jul-21
Congratulations to you and your daughter

12-Jul-21
She takes after her dad!! Lol lol

She was suppose to be with me the evening I shot the Nyala and copper blesbuck but decided to hang out at the lodge. Both of them were within her range and she was up. Ops

12-Jul-21

She takes after her dad!! Lol lol

She was suppose to be with me the evening I shot the Nyala and copper blesbuck but decided to hang out at the lodge. Both of them were within her range and she was up. Ops

12-Jul-21

12-Jul-21

12-Jul-21
Thank you for sharing. I was wondering what types of African wild game meats you have tried.....and which ones you enjoyed the most....and the least.

12-Jul-21
Very good question medicinemann

13-Jul-21
We did have vension 3 or 4 nights during our trip. They grilled all the meat over the open fire at the same time. So, we didn't know which species we were eating. Honestly, the steaks were tough and some of it was very gamey. My understanding is that they just hired a new cook. I heard a few people say they weren't very impressed with the food and I would agree. It wasn't bad by animals just not top notch. I know COVID has made it tough for alot of outfitters to find help. They had to lay people off during covid and now it's difficult to get them back.

13-Jul-21
That's interesting about the game meat. I've been to Africa a number of times, and I've never tasted even a hint of gamey taste in any type of meat I've ever eaten there.

13-Jul-21
Worst meat I've ever had in Africa was beefsteak in Zimbabwe. You see those scrawny cattle being herded around and aren't the least bit surprised they taste worse than an old dairy cow. Then again, I'm from beef country, so I'm a bit spoiled on what to expect for quality beef.

I was very happy to kill an Impala early and get different meat on the table.

13-Jul-21
Best meat we have tasted over there is Eland.

13-Jul-21
Yes African game meat is wonderful: éland , zebra and gemsbok for grilled backstrap, springbok chops are awesome, lasagna cooked with gemsbok meat is awesome as well... Kudu is ok. Giraf burger in zim was.. special :) Blue wildebeest if young is not bad either. Only warthog and guinea fowl stew was not that good for my taste. Eat what you kill

13-Jul-21
Awesome trophies and awesome trip. I hope you are on the way out!

Seems to be heating up with the civil unrest

That can be some nasty stuff over there

Praying for your safe travels

13-Jul-21
Praying for your safe exit of RSA and return to USA !!

Thanks for sharing you and your daughter's great safari with us Bowsiters.

13-Jul-21
Time to get out of Dodge.

13-Jul-21
Congrats on some great trophies, and a special trip to share with your daughter! Hoping you get home safely, as well.

Unfortunately, I didn’t pay close attention to what was what, when we were in SA in ‘15, but every different meat dish we tried was delicious. We had eland, impala, kudu, gemsbok and a couple of species. One night, we had a brie, or bbq, and they cooked lamb chops, cooked over coals. I’m not a big fan of mutton, but these chops were absolutely incredible.

14-Jul-21
What’s going on over there politically guys ? I haven’t heard.

14-Jul-21

StickFlicker's Link
Check your speaker volume before opening the link. BBC News video will begin to play, along with a written article.

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21
Thanks Stick, I wasn’t aware. Hope everyone gets back home in one piece !

14-Jul-21
We left Sunday and didn't have any problems

14-Jul-21
We finally made it back to the US safe and sound. Here are few more pictures.

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21
I'm trying to decide what to do with my crocodile. I don't want a lifetime mount. I was thinking of a rug or getting items made from the skin.

Anyone have ideas?? Lol

14-Jul-21
I think I croc rug would be sweet. Even if you hung it up on the wall spread out somehow without damaging it…

14-Jul-21
I think a Loin Cloth would be perfect made from your croc. ;) Looks like a fun trip hope no issue getting out of the country.

14-Jul-21
Pair of boots from the belly and mount the head or skull ?

Thanks for the trip Sir !

14-Jul-21
Loin cloth!!!! Lol lol

14-Jul-21
I wasn't planning on taking anything that needed a cites tag. Would someone mind giving me the run down what to expect with crocodile?

2nd. What's the normal time frame on getting animals back if your just dipping and packing?

15-Jul-21
I would highly recommend not placing any souvenirs in your luggage even of whole wrap. I had a number of items broken including my bow case!!

15-Jul-21

I few items that had it in in one piece.

15-Jul-21

This was hand craved by a local out of ironwood.

15-Jul-21

15-Jul-21

15-Jul-21

This piece was as well

15-Jul-21

16-Jul-21
what does the finally tally of taken game look like. that is an amazing adventure. wow

16-Jul-21
Package included 6 animals 1. Sable 2. Golden Wildebeest 3. Blue Wildebeest 4. Blesbuck 5. Springbuck 6. Zebra

I didn't care for the Golden Wildebeest, so the outfitter traded me a gemsbuck for it.

We never saw a zebra or got a shot at a blue wildebeest so I traded it for a Nyala plus $600.

Extra impala $600 Extra copper blesbuck $600 Extra crocodile $3500 Nyala. $600 Package $3500 Dipping and packing this includes getting them to the airport $2400.

Total $11,200

If you minus the crocodile it would be $7,700

I decided to only mount my daughter's Impala and Nyala in the states . The others I will have tanned and euro in Africa. I talked to other hunters and they normal spend 10k in just taxidermy work. I would rather use that money towards another hunt. Like a Cape Buffalo!! Lol

16-Jul-21
What a fantastic trip Brady, congrats to you both!!! , definitely the widest array of African animals(pics) i believe ive ever seen on here,, what a ride!!!!! Good for you two...

16-Jul-21
We both had a great time!! She graduates high school in 2 years so I'm taking advantage of my time with her.

16-Jul-21
That is amazing. I’m so glad to see kids out there. I’m starting to do the same with my kids. Great job. Congratulations

16-Jul-21
Yes, thanks for sharing your adventure. Did the airlines (both Delta on your trip there, and United on your return) require you to actually SHOW the Covid test results, or just sign a form saying that you tested negative? The Delta website makes it sound like it is just a form you sign swearing that you had a test and it was negative, rather than actually showing negative test results. I'm not I'd have a lot of confidence that the other passengers actually had a negative test if they don't even require you to show the results.

16-Jul-21
We had to show both airlines the test results. Delta actually look it over to confirm it was a PCR test and within 72 hours.

16-Jul-21
Congrats on a great safari! Thanks for sharing your experience!

20-Jul-21

wildwilderness's Link
I was able to tag along with my wife as well on this trip. I know some on BS aren't interested in South Africa and the safari style there. That said we had a blast! I found a new respect for the African animals, how tough they are, shot placement is critical, skin is thick and the Variety of animals is Amazing!

Here is the first animal I got- a sable. Hit it a bit back, and not as much penetration as I hoped. Learned first hand how good the native trackers are! its unreal.

20-Jul-21

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Older sable
Older sable
That was my wife with the video first time. We ended up bumping the sable from its bed 3 times trying to finish it off. We needed up leaving it over night hoping the hyenas or leopard didn’t find it.

Unfortunately we found it the next afternoon and the hide was already slipping. A lot of mass in the horn and black cape.

22-Jul-21

Second sable
Second sable
With the cape lost, the outfitter offered a second sable at a great price- they are so cool, and bigger and tougher than I thought.

I hit this one quartering away but the fixed blade deflected off a rib and went along the cage to the sternum without going into the chest. Had to follow this up with a rifle to not loose it too long either.

22-Jul-21

Nyala
Nyala
That afternoon the tracker spotted a Nyala in the bush. I still can’t believe how good their eyes are and skill! It wasn’t on my list, but one of, if not the prettiest animals in Africa. The stalk was on- after loosing the group twice we picked up the track and I had the biggest from the group at 20 yards slight quarter too.

The shot hit well and passed through. We waited a bit then followed up- jumping the bull! I couldn’t believe it was still alive! Another broadside shot passed through both shoulders. Once again we followed and it was still up! The last arrow severed the heart and it fell.

I am overly impressed how tough these animals are, and the absolutely perfect shot you need to make. Low and forward is where it needs to be!

22-Jul-21
The Nyala are amazing trophies and also the Sable. Heck, their pretty awesome!!!

23-Jul-21

wildwilderness's Link
Decided to go after a Gemsbok for the next sit. really neat watching the herd. the hardest part was trying to identify a male. sure sign is the penis sheath. Made a text book shot with an Iron Will Wide. the bull didn't go too far!

23-Jul-21
Nice Gemsbuck.

23-Jul-21

Bull gemsbok
Bull gemsbok
End of a good day
End of a good day
Didn’t have to track this one. Bulls are slightly shorter horns than females, and slightly more mass at the bases. Iconic Africa for me!

23-Jul-21
One of my favorite animals as well. Where are you hunting?

• Sitka Gear