Buskill 06-Jul-21
BlacktailBob 06-Jul-21
standswittaknife 07-Jul-21
Buskill 07-Jul-21
DonVathome 07-Jul-21
Mule Power 07-Jul-21
standswittaknife 07-Jul-21
06-Jul-21
Joe Schuster, who used to fly out of Galena, now flies out of Anchorage and he hunts in 16B. He’s doing outfitted drop hunts and also the full guided experience. His hunts and service had a great rep when he was working out of Galena. I’m sure he’s still a solid choice for transport but has anyone here moose hunted with him in 16B? I spoke with someone on here ( forgot who?? ) that had a friend that went with Joe on a drop off hunt. Anyone got any feedback from their own experience or that of someone you know and trust first hand ?

06-Jul-21
16B is where my cabin is. I've been renting it to two Bowhunters for $2,500 each for 2 weeks at the end of the season. This year I told the guys not to come because of a very hard winter two years ago. Last year we saw only one small bull for the 10 days. It will likely pick up again once the population rebounds. I have seen a bit more moose sign at the cabin this summer relative to last year.

06-Jul-21
Bob, are you in the upper 1/3, middle 1/3 or lower 1/3 of the unit ?

06-Jul-21
I'm toward the north 1/3 along the east side between Lake Creek and the Kahiltna River. Closer to Lake Creek near Willow Mountain. The south end is probably better right now.

07-Jul-21
Could’ve gone with him last year and chose to go with another pilot and quite honestly it was a mistake. 16 B is a beat up unit if you’re close to Anchorage which Joe is but he has leased all private native land that theoretically no one else can hunt. Had a buddy go with him on his guided hunt last year killed a great moose and grizzly. He also shared pictures of the lake we would have been dropped off on had we followed up with Joe. I honestly wanted farther from Anchorage because I thought the hunting would be better and maybe get it is but our hunt turned out sour.

07-Jul-21
Great info , guys. I appreciate it

07-Jul-21
My 2 cents with AK experience, but not with Joe, is you trust the pilot. He has a great reputation (I save every good/bad story I hear about transporters in AK). I would trust what he says about his hunts.

07-Jul-21
Any idea why he no longer flys out of Galena? I flew from there with him a few years back. He is a good pilot and all but I don’t think Ron White could even get him to crack a smile. All business.

07-Jul-21
they stopped allowing float planes into parts of 23 and 24

• Sitka Gear