Inshart 21-Aug-21
WV Mountaineer 22-Aug-21
jdbbowhunter 22-Aug-21
milnrick 22-Aug-21
Zbone 22-Aug-21
Zbone 22-Aug-21
BOWUNTR 27-Aug-21
11-Jul-21
First, I will admit I dont watch TV but a fellow archer (clay hayes) is competing on the Season 8 of the show Alone. He bagged a spot in stalk buck the other night. It was pretty great to watch. He is a super cool, down to Earth guy and a great hunter.

11-Jul-21
Yep I saw that show the other night. Hopefully he gets another deer. He's doing pretty good compared to some of the other people.

11-Jul-21
The deer was great, but he needs some fish for the fat he needs also.

11-Jul-21
I only caught part of the show, the other night. He had already killed the buck and was working on his smokehouse. He came across to me, as a pretty humble, down to earth kind of guy.

11-Jul-21

Big Fin's Link
Clay is a great guy. Once I learned he was going to be on Alone, I wish Vegas would have let me put money on who would win. I would have put a big bet on him.

I had him on my podcast last month and a lot of the discussion was about his season on Alone. Obviously, until the show is done airing he is not allowed to tell how he did. Podcast episode is at the link.

My gut tells me he was in it until the bitter end.

11-Jul-21
We've been watching it since the season began. I think he and the Lady who built the dugout shelter will definitely be in the final 3.

11-Jul-21
This is a great show. Of the 8 seasons so far this is by far the least interesting and they are facing little hardship or challenge compared to other seasons. Season 7 in the artic for 100 days is nothing short of epic and must see. To this point This year is a Cub Scout camp out compared to what they went through last season.

11-Jul-21
I was just turned on to the show by a friend. Don’t do much on the tv scene. Go I got To watching and now the wife is hooked and we’re already on the start of season 4

12-Jul-21
Yup, been watching since the beginning, agree that Clay has a good shot at it. (pun intended :) )

Agree, this one does not seem to have the amount of hardships the others have had and they appear to tap out quicker than in the past shows.

13-Jul-21
It's early, hasn't gotten cold yet

13-Jul-21
Great show. I hope Bear Grylls is watching.....and learning something...lol

13-Jul-21
Not as many hardships? They can't shoot bears, can't kill squirrels for food, not many deer, fishing is tough. Not sure how they are going to set snares or deadfalls as a squirrel may get into them.

13-Jul-21
Where does this one take place?

13-Jul-21
I feel there is way less food sources this go around. The weight loss in this one seems to be more extreme than many of the previous seasons.

13-Jul-21
I like the Alone series too... but that other Alone show they called the "Arctic" was absolutely not in the arctic.

13-Jul-21
This year they are in British Columbia, Midwest. It has proven to be quite a lot more difficult as far as obtaining meat this year. Hope Clay can hold onto his deer and start catching fish.

23-Jul-21
Watched it last night. Clay climbs a tree when a bear heads his way along the beach, then has to spray one when he follows it's tracks and it comes back to see who is following.

Rose seemed to be out of touch with reality, before and after she got pulled.

23-Jul-21
I’ve bowhunted with Clay and think he has the skills and mental toughness to win this season. You can search for him at Twisted Stave Media and check out his weekly discussions of each episode or view his many other videos. Pretty cool bowhunter.

23-Jul-21
Winning that show is mostly about emotional stability. He'll win unless he gets hurt. The big dude Biko will give him a run for his money though.

23-Jul-21
I think he’ll win it as well

23-Jul-21
I called it after the first episode... Clay wins. I also called it on the first episode that the pussy from Wyoming would be the first to go. Ed F

24-Jul-21
Which one is the guy with the stick thru his nose?

24-Jul-21
Biko, I think? Guy has the right attitude and toughness, but not much in skills IMO. I feel for him as he seems to lack good clothing and equipment.

24-Jul-21
LOL Ed, I agree 100%. I can always pick out the ones who will tap out first. Mental weakness is easy to spot!

24-Jul-21
Yeah, Biko has a hard time catching fish. He also has bad ankles for a young guy. He does have the extra weight which helps. There down to four now.

07-Aug-21
Just watched the latest episode to drop. Consistent succesful fishing seems to be a key, but few have cracked that problem. My money is on Clay. Very eager to watch to the end

07-Aug-21
Has any competitor that killed a big game animal not won?

07-Aug-21
Colter has a great chance as he has a boat he made for fishing. He also has fish. Man can't line on meat alone, you must have fat in your diet. Clay has done good so far, but was discusted about using a gill net. Still hasn't done anything to insolate the tarp on his roof. Teresa is holding her own with her mushroom supply, and a good shelter. Bilo will tap next.

09-Aug-21
I didn't know Clay was on this season's episodes... I watched last season's "Alone" and liked it and seen this episodes recorded on my DVR but hadn't had a chance to watch any yet... Thanks for sharing... I like Clay and his videos a lot, very informative, seems to be a down to earth good guy... Look forward to watching...

10-Aug-21
Halfway through season 3 right now. Cool series

10-Aug-21
Ya it’s between Clay and Colter. A guy could stretch one deer a long time

10-Aug-21
BC Island deer are chubby but stubby. Not much meat on them.

One old Indian fellow I know from the coast always said, "tides out, table's set." Might taste like shit, but you can eat.

11-Aug-21
From the looks of Colter, it wouldn't hurt for him to fall out of that boat a time or two and get cleaned up a bit.

The worms in that dead bird were disgusting.

11-Aug-21
I think someone else mentioned it, this season seams lacking something. I would have a hard time with the grizzlies. I thought that older marine dude was in it for the long haul. I like the 4 remaining. If I had to bet, it would be colter. Interesting show for sure.

11-Aug-21
I’ve enjoyed watching the season. I think it comes down to Clay, Colter, and Biko. I think they all have a chance, and it’s cool that it’s for very different reasons. Clay seems to be the most skilled as a hunter, but he’s also the skinniest - will his skills sustain him? Biko has incredible bushcraft skills, but has struggled gathering food - he’s got the most weight to lose, so can he out starve the others? And Colter seems to be the least skilled (relatively speaking obviously) in terms of bushcraft and hunting, but that boat may be the difference. Really fun to watch how it’ll play out.

11-Aug-21
I'm having a hard time searching on Directv for it. Does it come on irregularly? I've found all the seasons on ch1264 on the History channel.

11-Aug-21
Finally had a chance to watch some of season 8 last night... I actually binged a little and watched the first 4 episodes, probably watch some more tonight.... There are 9 episodes recorded on my DVR....

So far Clay is doing great, his shelter with chimney looked perfect, and common of his video projects.... The other dude (the carpenter) that tapped out at the end of episode 4 had a great looking shelter too... I understand he had a lot going on in his head with family and loss of his daughter, but was still surprised he tapped out...

Couple things of interest... The reward was $500 grand rather the a million like last year... Wasn't last years pot a million or maybe I remembered wrong... Then couldn't believe 2 participants didn't take firestarters and another didn't take a decent knife... I'm like WTF, those are most important items needed along with an axe, saw, multitool, cordage, wire, tarp and bow and arrows, and my last item would have been a gill net... I get it these guys think they can hand drill and start a fire anytime but in cold wet weather friction fires is going to be tough, if not impossible.... I'd be taking me a ferro rod...

How bout the mouse chewing through the dude's bowstring...8^)

12-Aug-21
Last years pot was bigger but it was different in they had to make it 100 days instead of like this and all the other seasons where the winner is last one standing regardless of time.

12-Aug-21
Ohhh,,, do remember that now, thanks LFN...

Just watched episodes 5 and 6.... Clay's smokehouse is cool... He had a badazz saw, wonder what manufacture? BTW, just seen where gillnets weren't allowed until after 45 days, so, so much for the gill nets...

BTW, while talking about items allowed, does cooking kit and eating utensils count as items? What about a sleeping bag... Anybody know the rules? I noticed the one girl that tapped out had at least 9 arrows, so I assume 9 are allowed with the bow...

OLive2Hunt- "They can't shoot bears, can't kill squirrels for food"

I understand not allowing to shoot bears but why not squirrels,,, I must missed that part during my binge...

Chuckster - Thursday nights on the History Channel...

12-Aug-21

bigeasygator's Link
BTW, while talking about items allowed, does cooking kit and eating utensils count as items? What about a sleeping bag... Anybody know the rules? I noticed the one girl that tapped out had at least 9 arrows, so I assume 9 are allowed with the bow...

The link above takes you to the allowable item list. You can see everything they get to choose from. In short, outside of clothing, everything else counts as one of 10 items. This includes cookware (large pot, steel frying pan, ferro rod, enamel bowl, spoon, canteen/water bottle all count as separate items), sleeping bag, and the bow (and apparently they get 9 arrows). Pretty fun to look through the list and decide what you'd go with.

12-Aug-21
Clay is doing good. Biko, Colter and Theresa are struggling. I see Clay and Colter caught some fish with thier gill nets tonight. I'm surprised Colter got medically taken out.

13-Aug-21
Thanks Z and Hack. Watched last night. Anybody know how often they do a "med check"? The lady from UK has an incredible attitude that has served her well.

14-Aug-21
I was looking over the ten items that they each selected and accidentally scrolled down to the Season 7 cast and realized one of my hunting partners from a couple trips a few years ago, his sister (Callie Russell) was a contestant! No idea how she did but now I'm goina have to go watch Season 7.

14-Aug-21
Some have said they can predict who will be mentally tough.

I have learned that it’s very hard to tell in advance. Who will fold and who will stand up.

Some of the weakest looking pencil pushers in arduous situations, combat or POW situations rise to amazing heroics.

And tough guys sometimes fold.

And either can change according to that particular situation.

14-Aug-21

14-Aug-21
^^^ Cmon man, save the spoiler alert would ya??

15-Aug-21
Oops, my bad cnelk... Last episode aired 3 days ago and with only 2 episodes remaining, they're up to date and discussing over on the Leatherwall, thought I was the only one behind, figured it was okay to discuss here too...

I'll make some comments but as not to spoil, then shut up...

With fish and fishing being such an objective, there has to streams or some kind of tributaries flowing into that big lake, couldn't they place fish traps or even gig small trout like Brookies in these narrow waters???

That Newhouse No. 5 bear trap the girl found was really cool...

The last couple episodes of the pigpen dude I had to fast forward through his scenes, he just totally grosses me out...

Must say, didn't think I'd like Biko in the beginning, but have grown to really like the dude...

Aside from great hunting skills like Clay's, I think structure of a proper chimney in their shelters is a major factor...

Preview shown up and coming, is that a blood trail somebody is following???

The remaining contestants are all deserving to win...

19-Aug-21
Clay just won.

The producers forced Theresa to quit, for fear of possible irreversible health issues that she could possibly incur if she kept going.

Biko finally tapped out as well.

19-Aug-21
Like mosti was rooting for him all the esgtbut I really liked Biko. Props to that dude too.

19-Aug-21
Gotta give props to Theresa as well. She was close to tapping, but she definitely hung tough to the end.

20-Aug-21
Agreed. If any of those guys came across a little more food it might be different. I think the last 4 all had the mindset to win.

20-Aug-21
I agree the last four were very very tough

Clay and Coulter had more rounded skills but you could see with all of them it was day to day at the end.

congrats to all of them

But especially Clay

20-Aug-21
And if you didn’t get emotional at Clays reaction. Something may be wrong you.

20-Aug-21
Way to go Clay! Fun watch, would love to get him on here to share his thoughts.

20-Aug-21

MarkU's embedded Photo
MarkU's embedded Photo
Got a little nervous toward the end when they went in to pick up someone, wasn't sure who it would be. Turned out to be Biko.

Theresa has the smarts and ability, but she wasn't a bowhunter. Eating dead fish washed up on shore won't get you too far. Seems she did good on forageing, and kept clean, unlike Colter.

I'm biased. Clay and family are friends of ours. When we were at his place at Christmas, we were talking about elk hunting last fall, which of course he didn't get to do. I was relating to him about getting chased by a couple of grizzlys, and I'm sure he had to bite his lip, because everything was still a secret and I wasn't supposed to know about him being on the show. Rumors, of course.

The photo is one he took of two of my grandkids and his kids shooting in his yard. He also put the quote on it.

20-Aug-21

MarkU's embedded Photo
MarkU's embedded Photo
Got a little nervous toward the end when they went in to pick up someone, wasn't sure who it would be. Turned out to be Biko.

Theresa has the smarts and ability, but she wasn't a bowhunter. Eating dead fish washed up on shore won't get you too far. Seems she did good on forageing, and kept clean, unlike Colter.

I'm biased. Clay and family are friends of ours. When we were at his place at Christmas, we were talking about elk hunting last fall, which of course he didn't get to do. I was relating to him about getting chased by a couple of grizzlys, and I'm sure he had to bite his lip, because everything was still a secret and I wasn't supposed to know about him being on the show. Rumors, of course.

The photo is one he took of two of my grandkids and his kids shooting in his yard. He also put the quote on it.

20-Aug-21
Knew Clay had it when he snared two rabbits. I was pulling for the hunter outdoorsmen and Colter is a good fisherman. Biko proved again that fatso's (like me) can win.

21-Aug-21
I’ve watched every season. Clay is tough as nails. Props to all the contestants.

It’s all about family…always.

21-Aug-21
Also watched all of them from the beginning ---- most of "staying in the game" is mental attitude.

Kind of reminds me of elk hunting --- staying mentally "in the game" right up to the last minute of the last day.

Good for Clay. When my wife and I saw him catch the 2 rabbits, both of said in unison - those rabbits just won it for him.

Mark, you should ask him to relate some tales of the trip with us here.

22-Aug-21
He’s a tough dude. I figured if he stayed healthy he’d win.

22-Aug-21
Good youtube video he made. Wife was videoing home life for him ,right up to when he came home. Congrats to him and his family,

22-Aug-21
Has anyone written down Clay's "adventure quote"? If so, please post it because it was very relevant to many of us.

22-Aug-21
OMG, we're now allowed to talk about it...8^)

Congrats to Clay!!!

Yeah Altitude Sickness, my eyes too welled up...

22-Aug-21

Zbone's Link
Clay talks about his 10 items:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8jTUBs5DiU

27-Aug-21
I just caught up.... I called it. I was worried though. Leaving loved ones at home for that long will destroy most. Congrats Clay... tough SOB... Ed F

• Sitka Gear