milnrick 13-Jul-21
badbull 13-Jul-21
Muddyboots 13-Jul-21
Dale06 13-Jul-21
lewis 14-Jul-21
Candor 14-Jul-21
Pop-r 15-Jul-21
12-Jul-21
My grandson is visiting and is interested in getting into bow hunting imagine that I’m curious about the youth adjustable bows.He is 14 weighs around 115 very athletic plays varsity baseball since 7th grade.We looked at the genesis,I think and Bear and a pse .Any info would be appreciated Thanks and good luck Lewis

12-Jul-21
I'd look at some of the Diamond and Mission bows also. There's lots of choices out there.

12-Jul-21
That might have been a Diamond we peeked at not a genesis and it looked pretty cool Lewis

12-Jul-21
My first was a Diamond Razor edge. Very adjustable and never once had an issue. Draw was super adjustable and weight went from I think 25-60 if I’m not mistaken. This was 18 years ago but it worked for a long time until I had a job to buy my own. I still have my little brothers that my wife uses to shoot with me. Actually putting a new string on it this weekend. Just came in the mail today.

12-Jul-21
Is he a Lefty? I have a bow that is not being used that he could have, not a starter but something to think about.........

12-Jul-21
Mission Hammr or Switch would be good choices.

12-Jul-21
The mission mxr and Mathews bows for the last few years all use mods for a better setup than a fully adjustable bow. If he’s a strong kid I would look at an mxr or a used Mathews that you could set up on 60# mods that would get you 50-60#. If you have a good dealer they might cut you a break switching out mods as needed. The fully adjustable bows serve a good purpose but if he’s nearly done growing in height than something a little less adjustable could serve him well.

12-Jul-21
Great info all he is a righty but I appreciate the offer I have a couple of older bows including a Martin phantom but not sure of the fit thanks so much Lewis

12-Jul-21
If you do go with an adjustable bow I like elites bow. Elite uses a limb stop that has a lot more solid back wall than the string stops most use. A string stop creates a mushy back wall but at low poundage it’s real sloppy.

12-Jul-21
The bear mid level starter bows are unbelievable, 15-70lbs and huge draw length adjustments

12-Jul-21
Look at a Diamond Edge Pro, adjusts 5-70# and 24"-31". A fully outfitted kit is $350. I am a traditional archer recovering from back surgery and a bad shoulder who bought this bow to rehab. I have it setup for 40-45# at 29" draw, and it shoots great, much better than my old compounds. I will set it up for my grandson as he gets older.

12-Jul-21
We had good luck with PSE Stinger X, still use it for bowfishing. The newest model has a different name, but looks to be pretty much the same.

13-Jul-21
Depending on your grand son's size and age I'd take a close look at G5's CENTEK or CENTEK NXT line of bows. They're made to the same specs as PRIME and are a great, cost effective bow.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they perform as well as fit and finish.

13-Jul-21
Diamond worked well for my granddaughter. Also like PSE. I think that these fully adjustable bows are great for your situation.

13-Jul-21
Samick (also Galaxy) Sage. I have a 27" draw and my brother-in-law has a 31" draw- bow works well for both of us. Under $150 at Lancaster. Replacement limbs under $70.

13-Jul-21
The best bow for him is one that fits him. Nobody on this forum can determine that. If you want to do right by your grandson, take him to an archery pro shop and have them help him select a new or used bow.

14-Jul-21
Thanks all again I have taken him to our pro shop and checked his several bows probably pull the trigger soon Take care Lewis

14-Jul-21
I would lean towards something with a high brace height and maybe a bit longer axle-to-axle than some of the classic starter bows that are more appropriate for probably smaller kids to grow into. Just my thoughts but I would rather have something very forgiving even if slower to get him excited about hammering the bulls eye at 20 yards repeatedly.

15-Jul-21
These younger kids don't need handicaps. They're better at most things than we give them credit for. Some of the ones I'm around are unbelievable. They can see like an eagle and shoot like snipers and Robinhood. My nephew could no doubt shoot on an Olympic marksman team with open sights at 12 yrs old. I can't even see things he can shoot!

• Sitka Gear