Rut Nut 19-Jul-21
Bowfreak 19-Jul-21
TGbow 19-Jul-21
bghunter 19-Jul-21
Jaquomo 19-Jul-21
Jasper 19-Jul-21
Tim Floyd @Hm 19-Jul-21
14-Jul-21
Hey guys. About a week ago, my youngest was at a water park and jammed her wrist on the bottom of the pool after “going down the big slide one last time.”

She sprained her wrist, but didn’t break it.

But the injury apparently opened the door for an opportunistic bacterial infection at the injury. They’re saying that the bacteria could have been from a bug bite, a scratch, something eaten, even brushing her teeth.

The bacteria has infected the bone and is forming a cyst around the area.

An MRI shows the bone is infected.

She’s being pumped full of IV antibiotics and it looks like she is going to have surgery to remove the cyst and perhaps excise some of the bone.

The kid is twelve and we have no idea how severe this surgery my be or how much bone might be lost and what the impact will be on her and her dominant arm for the future.

I am not worthy of any favorable treatment from any higher power, but this is my kid. A good kid who doesn’t deserve this.

Please offer up a prayer to your own god for her or send any hippy karma vibes or whatever you can.

I don’t understand how something so trivial as a sprain can escalate like this. I am beside myself as a dad.

14-Jul-21
Prayers for your daughter

14-Jul-21
All the best from Wyoming, Rick.

14-Jul-21
I hope it all turns out OK. Thoughts and prayers.

14-Jul-21
Prayers from Nodak....Jason

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent for you daughter's full and speedy recovery!

14-Jul-21
Prayers to God to guide the Doctors and nurses. Believe.

14-Jul-21
Oh no, Rick. So sorry to hear this. She's such a sweetheart. Thoughts, prayers, karma, positive energy coming her way.

14-Jul-21
Prayers for a quick and full recovery.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent! Hate hearing issues with kids.

14-Jul-21
Prayers for your daughter. Hang in there.

14-Jul-21
I am thinking of your daughter and sending prayers for a quick and full recovery.

14-Jul-21
Prayers from Indiana.

14-Jul-21
Prayers

14-Jul-21
Thoughts and prayers from Tennessee hopefully a full recovery Lewis

14-Jul-21
It’s always tough to hear about anyone having to deal with things like this, especially kids. Prayers sent.

14-Jul-21
Rick, prayers sent to your daughter as well as your family through this process. I hope and pray all goes well.

14-Jul-21
Prayers from Pa!

What is your daughter’s name Rick?

I have heard of this before. There are some really insidious bacteria’s floating around out there these days! Just be thankful it was not a flesh eating bacteria that can be fatal or permanently disfiguring! I’m no expert, but I would think even if they have to take some of the bone, eventually it will heal and the arm will be functional! Probably better it was in the arm and not leg- since the upper extremities are not weight bearing.

I have a 16 y/o very active daughter who has had many injuries over the years. Always tougher on us as parents since we feel helpless when those things happen. I’m sure things will work out if you “GIVE IT UP TO GOD!”

Take care and GOD BLESS!

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent from Iowa, for a positive outcome for your daughter.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent

14-Jul-21
Rick - praying for you, your daughter and all others involved.

14-Jul-21
God Bless Brother!! Prayers for you, your daughter and your family!!! Have faith Brother!!

14-Jul-21
Weird things do happen. Prayers sent for the best possible outcome.

14-Jul-21
Thank you all.

In a holding pattern, waiting on the surgeon. Resident seems to think the eight gallons of antibiotics that have been going into the kid over the last 18-22 hours might be gaining some ground.

Not a lot of excitement from the patient who is displeased with food restrictions required pre-op, but we’re glad for any good news we can cling to.

14-Jul-21
God bless for a speedy recovery from Montana!!

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent for a healthy recovery orions!

14-Jul-21
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent for your daughter and you.

14-Jul-21
Hang in there. Prayers sent for your daughter.

14-Jul-21
Rick, lots of prayers sent for your daughter's quick recovery. my best, Paul

14-Jul-21
Prayers to the only true God, in Jesus Christ’s name, for a speedy and successful healing.

14-Jul-21
I wish her the best of luck.

14-Jul-21
Prayer for your family from Maryland.

14-Jul-21
More thoughts and prayers from the south!!!

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent and let us when she gets back to 100%

14-Jul-21
Prayers and best wishes for you guys! Hoping the best.

14-Jul-21
Prayers from WY.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent. I'll be following this to keep up with her progress.

14-Jul-21
Thoughts and prayers sent from KY!

14-Jul-21
Prayers for a successful procedure and a speedy complete recovery.

14-Jul-21
Prayers from NE!

14-Jul-21
Will do, sorry to hear.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent

14-Jul-21
Prayers to our Father God

14-Jul-21
On hold until tomorrow morning. Surgeon wants to keep pumping antibiotics and see what progress occurs. Food and fluid restrictions lifted until midnight.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent from me. You have enough on your mind right now so I will not go into detail but with the amount of antibiotics she is receiving be on the look out for her to possibly have C-Diff as a reaction to the antibiotics.

Twice in the last 15 years I have been administered antibiotics by IV. Both times resulted in me getting C-Diff.

14-Jul-21
Prayers sent from Nebraska.

14-Jul-21
Praying from Idaho!

14-Jul-21
She and your family definitely don’t deserve this. I pray the antibiotics do the job.

14-Jul-21
You got it Rick, prayers up the the Almighty God of all Creation for your daughter, and you brother, God loves you too! May your daughter be healed completely and may you have peace from Above!

14-Jul-21
Thinking of you and your family.

14-Jul-21
A prayer for you and your daughter!!

14-Jul-21
Praying for you! God Bless

14-Jul-21
She is in our prayers

14-Jul-21
Prayers for your daughter, Rick, and for you and your family.

14-Jul-21
Good luck Rick and hope it all turns out well. Kids are resilient and with a little divine providence hopefully it will all go smoothly.

14-Jul-21
Rick, PM sent, let me know if I can help.

15-Jul-21
Prayers from Missouri! She is young and strong with a great Dad and lots of life ahead of her. God bless!

15-Jul-21
Wishing her well! Hope for a speedy recovery.

15-Jul-21
Prayers from Massachusetts sent your way Rick!

15-Jul-21
Prayers to you and your daughter!

15-Jul-21
Prayer's extended for a successful surgery and recovery.

15-Jul-21
Thinking about your daughter and praying for you all.

15-Jul-21
In surgery now.

15-Jul-21
God is good!

15-Jul-21
Hang in there....prayers and positive vibes.

15-Jul-21
Good luck with the surgery Rick, praying for healing for your daughter

15-Jul-21
Positive vibes!

15-Jul-21
Indiana's got your back brother! Best of luck to your daughter and the family. Keep the faith, baby!

15-Jul-21
Out of recovery.

Thankfully, bone did not have to be excised. If growth plates have been damaged, future surgery might be necessary. Abscess was bad, but removed. Drain will be in place until departure.

Lots of relief. Should be able to bring her home in four or five days barring any complications...

Antibiotics for a month or two depending on what cultures show the culprit is and follow up with the Orthopedic Doctors every six months to make sure that the growth plates are OK.

Just a bit of a PSA: According to the doctors, a fever after a sprain or break or other injury, even low-grade is a warning sign. We had been up North and were concerned that the low-grade fever could be Lyme’s. Complaints about the wrist continuing to hurt could’ve been chalked up to a kid complaining. I am very glad that we took the complaints to heart and pursued this sooner than later. I shudder to think what might’ve happened if I would’ve taken a “Tough it out” attitude.

Trust your gut. If the kid isn’t normally a complainer and is complaining, look at things hard. If the kid is a complainer, look at things hard anyways.

There was no discoloration and very little swelling. And I wouldn’t have seen the swelling had I not pushed to get the wrist brace taken off. Had we not made an appointment and held off for a while...

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, karma, vibes, PMs

Give your kids an extra hug tonight. I will be hugging mine with a lot of relief and thanks... and I don’t care one bit that IVs, cords from monitors and surgical dressings will preclude me from getting a hug back.

Best to all.

15-Jul-21
Godspeed on healing.

My neighbors 5 yr old son contracted Lyme this summer. We are in a part of the country and state where the infection rates are high. The pediatrician missed it. He was in for a bunch of neurological and heart tests. Again they didn't even look for Lyme. As a 30 year survivor of the disease I was so sad to hear this.

Long story short be a pest, have symptoms checked out. If not pleased get another doctor. Our youth are just too important not to pay attention to detail.

P.S. Going to the water park this weekend. Local alkes are already getting blue algae, maybe ameboa soon...

15-Jul-21
Prayers for your daughter and a speedy recovery

15-Jul-21
Great news Orion! Sometimes as parents we nail it and sometimes we don't. I'm glad you were spot on and didn't brush this off.

15-Jul-21
Bowfreak - I wasn’t spot on and I didn’t nail it. I got LUCKY.

If that brace had been left on and we didn’t notice the mild, odd swelling... had the swelling been typical of a sprained wrist... if I had brushed it off with a “Rub some dirt on it”...

I don’t know.

This got serious, fast.

15-Jul-21
Sounds as good as can be. Am glad to hear this news!

16-Jul-21
As parents,, sometimes we are smart, sometimes lucky. Whichever it was, glad you guys caught this and I hope your daughter keeps improving.

16-Jul-21
Prayers up from VA.

16-Jul-21
Not “Lucky”................BLESSED! ;-)

Glad to hear the good news. Will keep praying for continued healing..........

16-Jul-21
Excellent news! Will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers for a swift and full recovery!

16-Jul-21
Glad to hear the good news.

16-Jul-21
May GOD shed his mercy on you all

16-Jul-21
Rut Nut - Yes sir

16-Jul-21
Good words of caution to us all. Glad to hear that things are going in the right direction. God is great!

16-Jul-21
Happy to hear the good news. Hoping she gets to come home soon.

17-Jul-21
It sounds like she is getting much better. Sorry she went thru this. Prayers from NC

17-Jul-21
Sounds like God was indeed looking out for your daughter. Praying for continued healing and progress.

18-Jul-21
Wow, blessed for sure!

18-Jul-21
Just got home!!

A Bowsiter texted me. I’m copying my response ‘cause a few guys have asked and I’m juggling a bit and trying to take some of the responsibilities off my wife’s plate... if the patient will allow it.

Thank you all for keeping our family in your prayers.

Thank you! JUST got her home. Trying to get her settled in. Didn’t think they were going to release her tonight, but she’s home. It was a rare type of staphylococcus aureus, but not MRSA. It’s responding to antibiotics. She’ll be on them for a month. A whole slew of follow-up appointments and we gotta keep our fingers crossed that she won’t need further surgery for the growth plate... but it looks like the scariest chit is behind us.

Grabbing some pizza and looking forward to tipping over.

Lots of props to my wife. Mom was in big and constant demand. She did triple duty and is definitely sleep deprived. I picked up flowers when I picked up the first part of the prescription, but she’s gotta get some kind of medal or something.

18-Jul-21
Glad she’s on the road to recovery.

18-Jul-21
Thank God…Here’s to a speedy recovery.

19-Jul-21
Great news and thanks for the update! Continued prayers for a speedy recovery and some rest for mom and dad.

19-Jul-21
Glad to hear she is HOME! THAT is the best medicine! ;-)

Continued prayers for healing and rest..................for everyone!

19-Jul-21
"Sounds like God was indeed looking out for your daughter."

IMO Rupe nailed it. Rick, when you said you aren't deserving of any special treatment just know that you are correct and nobody else is either. God's mercy is beyond our recognition. I for one am thankful that I won't be receiving what I actually deserve. Your family has been blessed and I am so thankful of that fact.

19-Jul-21
Glad she is home

19-Jul-21
Prayers to your daughter and for a speedy recovery

19-Jul-21
This is GREAT news! So happy to hear its and best wishes for her quick recovery.

19-Jul-21
Prayers sent Rick!

19-Jul-21
Prayers for complete recovery for your daughter; strength, hope and peace for you and your wife.

• Sitka Gear