WV Mountaineer 15-Jul-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 15-Jul-21
TD 15-Jul-21
TooMany BowsBob 15-Jul-21
DanaC 15-Jul-21
Mule Power 15-Jul-21
Rut Nut 16-Jul-21
14-Jul-21
Is there any reason to carry on a trip to utah and yellowstone? The family and I will be doing some hiking and such, lots of sightseeing. Thanks for the advice.

14-Jul-21
There is never any reason to carry, until there is. You never know when that time might be. That’s why I carry all the time!

14-Jul-21
There is always reason to carry IMO.

14-Jul-21
I would not hike in Yellowstone with out a gun.

14-Jul-21
X2 the guys above

14-Jul-21

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
In my 6 decades + of bowhunting big game I have never carried while hunting. I usually have a firearm "IN CAMP". In todays world with more humans into wild crtters home turf & encounters I would consider in Big Bear country if legal. Otherwise all the other Bear spray ect.. Last summer, 3 days of Yellowstone & Tetons every park person had Bear Spray but I saw no firearms on their hips. Twice we saw Bears (at a safe distance) & park personel warned everyone to stay away or in their vehicle. We did no hiking but those we saw, many had spray.. Big Bears (Grizz) is the only wild critter I have ever been concerned about in the wild & a few humans. Like many say, it only takes one time to "wish" you had. Personally, I feel we need to carry "in town" more than in the woods".. If legal, I will vote yes if hiking/camping in Bear country. Yes, I have had Bears raid my camp but only Blacks..(I believe if you check, they attack/kill the most) Enjoy your trip, we did

14-Jul-21
Absolutely. And make it a big one. The bears there are serious.

14-Jul-21
In today’s world where you need to pack heat in church, I don’t know why you wouldn’t pack something where wild predators are. I know no one here is scared of blackies but I’m too young to die from any bear. I pack in CO and NM.

14-Jul-21
I have a jack and spare tire in my truck. I don't fear getting a flat, I just know it happens, it's hard to predict when it will happen, and the alternative to being able to change a tire when you need to really stinks.

14-Jul-21
Firearms Federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in Yellowstone. Hunting and the discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone.

It is your responsibility to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering the park. Yellowstone encompasses parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, and each state has different regulations: follow the links provided here to learn more.

Federal law prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park (such as visitor centers and government offices): those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions.

14-Jul-21
As goelk points out, there are certain places where you can’t legally carry. Other than those few places, there’s never a time NOT to carry.

14-Jul-21
Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. LOL

I carry always. However the one exception is bowhunting in the mountains. A lot of times I don't just because of weight and holster and my backpack don't get along. I should find a better solution. But I fill I need it more at the grocery store than in the elk woods.

14-Jul-21
Enjoy the park. Pay attention to your surroundings and I would absolutely carry in ans around the park. Lots and lots of grouchy bears.

14-Jul-21
I read it as, you may carry, but if you feel you need to discharge your weapon for defense, you'd better be able to prove it.

14-Jul-21
I will also be carrying in Yellowstone this August. I read that a guy in Glacier used his firearm in self defense and the fine was a misdemeanor. I figure that fine is worth it to me and my family.

14-Jul-21
Every time. You never know what you'll run up on.

14-Jul-21
JohnMC definitely needed at the grocery store. I cringe when my wife says “run to Walmart” haha

14-Jul-21
JohnMC definitely needed at the grocery store. I cringe when my wife says “run to Walmart” haha

14-Jul-21
I agree. Carry. Just make sure if you are flying you understand how to properly take it in your luggage.

14-Jul-21
My firearm is my wildlife protection strategy. Can't imagine thinking any different. Lol Those bears are conditioned to humans and aren't near as wild as some in their ecosystem. I'd be very cautious and definitely carry!

14-Jul-21
Be careful, a few folks have died of Timothy Treadwell syndrome up here. I never used to carry in the woods, now I don't go in without it.

14-Jul-21
What caliber are You guys runnin’ for protection

14-Jul-21
I carry at the Dairy Queen, why in hell would I not carry in Yellowstone ? I was carrying some kind of handgun way before it was legal in my state. Probably a radical idea, but I always thought that self defense was my right and my decision, not the governments. So the only places that I don’t carry is where I may have to drop my drawers. I’d hate to have to tell a nurse to hold it, she probably wouldn’t go for that ….

14-Jul-21
Imagine: You’re on a backpacking trip in Alaska Or Montana or Yellowstone or ---, bushwhacking along an overgrown trail, when—hey now!—you’re up close and personal with a 400-pound griz. You, A) turn screaming and bolt past your buddies; B) unshoulder your Sidearm and level it between said griz’s eyes; or C) quick-draw your hip-holstered canister of pepper spray.

If you picked A, you just made the bear’s dinner menu. If you’re leaning toward B, you’re probably a bear-country veteran with a lot of faith in, and probably decent skill with, firearms. If you went with C you may be among the converted who believe a growing body of research suggesting that non-lethal deterrents aren’t just a feel-good alternative for animal-loving liberals, but a field-tested defense strategy backed up by hard data. Such claims aren’t without merit, or controversy. But while everyone from veteran guides to Second Amendment zealots has sounded off against the superiority of spray over guns, a survey of recent studies only reinforces the arguments in favor of pepper spray.

14-Jul-21
Was in Yellowstone two weeks ago. We didn’t do any real backcountry hiking but I did have spray. All the employees I saw had spray on their belts and you could rent a can at several shops. What you really need to pack is patience. The park was packed, most parking lots were over full and cars were parking on the road long distances from attractions and walking. We got in the park at 6 am most days to see the main things on our list and even then it was busy. Got stuck in more traffic/critter jambs than I can count. Waited 45 minutes in an elk jamb with a small herd bedded down near the road.

14-Jul-21
Fun!

14-Jul-21
Paul, great wisdom there! My feeling is I never want to say crap I have a gun sitting at home and I wish I had it now.

14-Jul-21
If you carry for humans, than you should still carry. There are still humans there.

If you are worried about bears/animals, bear spray should suffice. I would have a gun with me in the tent though. Close grizz encounters happen occasionally, attacks are generally rare though and because a bear is surprised/defending itself and usually avoided if proper procedure is followed(making human noise while hiking, giving wide berths, not running etc). However, if they come into your tent while you're sleeping, it's always because they plan to eat you... hence a weapon on top of bear spray.

14-Jul-21
Its better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it!!! I always carry!

14-Jul-21
If I aint packing I feel necked. Someone told me why did I carry a gun, I told them it was for protection...the same reason you lock your doors at night. I pray I dont have to use it but Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. We got some BIG hogs in this area.

14-Jul-21
I know two guys who have been munched on by big boar hogs. One was very serious, he was lucky enough to drive himself to the ER before he bled to death. The other is a good friend of mine and he just got rolled and scraped but it scared the hell out of him. Neither will be in the woods any more without a handgun.

14-Jul-21
I'm with mister greg simon & others on this!

ElkNut

14-Jul-21
I carry even in my own garden. Once I killed a rabid dog that was growling at my wife and another time a rabid raccoon when I was crossing a log to go fishing. My wife carries when she is taking pictures of her day lilies. She remembers the rabid dog and that was many years ago.

14-Jul-21
When I’m going to run to the store to get something and realize I left my pistol home I turn around and go get it. I wouldn’t worry so much about the bears as I would the humans.

14-Jul-21
The bison are very tame in Yellowstone and love to be petted.

14-Jul-21
For Utah, Yes. My close hunting buddy was charged by a black bear while sitting on an elk wallow in Northern Utah. Highly unlikely for a black bear to go predatory but if it happens, you don't want to be unarmed. There are a ton of bears in most mountainous areas. Take a comfortable to carry sidearm.

14-Jul-21
Everyday your breathing is a reason to carry!

14-Jul-21
I carry a .500 S&W Bou. I used to only carry bear spray but I believe if a bear is close enough to get sprayed then it most likely needs shot. I can see this not being the case everytime in Yellowstone or on encounters you caused but I'd still be drawn down.

14-Jul-21
Everyday all day and night I'm obsessive lol

14-Jul-21
Pepper spray might work well if the wind or air currents are in the bears face. If currents are swirling like they often do in the mountains, you might wish you had a gun. How long would it take to check the wind and make the decision if he was charging (usually a bluff) for or at close quarters? I’ve had three close, surprise encounters with blacks. I wouldn’t have had time to take care out bear spray or draw my gun before the bear was on me, if that’s what he decided to do. Luckily they all wanted no part of me!

15-Jul-21
Thanks for the advice all!

15-Jul-21
I never carry while doing yard work at the house but after watching a few YouTube videos on guys working in the yard and having being robbed or attacked by an animal I just might start.

15-Jul-21
I carry errywhere.

15-Jul-21
Do not plan on being in griz county but wife and I carry at all times where permitted in our state. Not trusting of two-legged creatures. Black bears are nasty.

15-Jul-21

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo

15-Jul-21
Those are absolutely hilarious instructions from the NPS for a bear encounter!!! Maybe convince your friend to run up and push the bear???;)

15-Jul-21
If I’m forced to discharge a firearm in defense of my life and, receive a ticket for doing so, I’m going to get more serious charges and a second discharge offense. SMH. You can’t make this stuff up.

15-Jul-21
No kidding Justin. glad I’m not the only one thinking that. We went to Yellowstone for a few days years ago, and a ranger basically said “if your getting chewed on your in self defense. Because he could just false charge you and not attack.”

Ya great advice thanks for that. I’m not gonna play Russian roulette with 5 rounds in a 6 shooter haha

15-Jul-21
From all I've seen, Rip is always packin'!

15-Jul-21

TooMany BowsBob's embedded Photo
TooMany BowsBob's embedded Photo
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

TMBB

BTW this sign was put up after the third tourist was taken to the hospital for trying to hug a buffalo.

15-Jul-21
Saw a tee shirt once that read, "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"

Apparently it's a popular sentiment whether you're in Yellowstone or on Cape Cod...

15-Jul-21
Is there a reason not to? Yellowstone… hell yes!

16-Jul-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I think this says it all! ;-)

• Sitka Gear