Nick Muche 20-Jul-21
Hunt98 22-Jul-21
WYelkhunter 22-Jul-21
Bowfreak 22-Jul-21
Jasper 23-Jul-21
Cheesehead Mike 24-Jul-21
160andup 25-Jul-21
18-Jul-21
How do you take solo pics? Not scenery type pics, self pics with you and your trophy or candid shots with you included? I’ve used self timers and an App called Hey Camera that works great via voice control but I’m not sure if it needs WiFi or cell service to work? Anyone know? Anyone use remote controls? I have an IPhone 10 and a Panasonic LUMIX DMC FZ150 I’ll be carrying. Thanks!

18-Jul-21
The ten second timer built into your iPhone works well enough to get in picture. No WiFi/service required.

Sometimes the tricker part is get camera to stay in place to take pic. I have a otter box defend case. I cut out corner belt clip piece that holds phone and case. So now I can see screen and camera not blocked and can clip belt clip on limb or pack to hold camera in place. Works well for hero shots. Also worksfor clipping ito a blind and videoing a turkey coming in.

18-Jul-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo

Scrappy's Link
There is like a million of these on the market that come with the Bluetooth remote. Thats the remote you can ?? in my right hand.

18-Jul-21
What Scrappy said. Only way to go. Period.

—Jim

18-Jul-21
I use a tripod made for iPhones that I bought on Amazon. The legs bend so it doesn’t matter how level the ground is. They also wrap around branches so it’s easy to get a level shot. I also have a remote that I never use. Like JohnMC, the 10 second timer is more than sufficient for me.

18-Jul-21

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Clip-shot to hold the phone and Bluetooth shutter remote to snap the pics.

18-Jul-21
2x on Clip Shot. Been using one for years with the timer on the iPhone.

18-Jul-21

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
^^^^ That’s similar to what I use.

18-Jul-21
How do you take solo pics? Not scenery type pics, self pics with you and your trophy or candid shots with you included? I’ve used self timers and an App called Hey Camera that works great via voice control but I’m not sure if it needs WiFi or cell service to work? Anyone know? Anyone use remote controls? I have an IPhone 10 and a Panasonic LUMIX DMC FZ150 I’ll be carrying. Thanks!

18-Jul-21
Any bendy leg tripod and a good quality phone camera is about as good as you can do without packing more weight.

19-Jul-21

19-Jul-21
Per Jethro. BT Shutter and Clip Shot w/phone suction cup.

19-Jul-21
iPhone timer and 10 shot burst

19-Jul-21
I’ve taken almost all my hunting pics myself. I use a camera on a tripod and use a self timer

19-Jul-21
Thanks guys! Do you need service/WiFi for the remote to work?

19-Jul-21
Nope just Bluetooth

19-Jul-21
Clip shot is great!

19-Jul-21
I’ve heard of guys taking video, rather than still shots, then going in and selecting images from the video clip. I’ve never tried it myself, so don’t know how well it works, but if it does, it would sure save a bunch of time, by only having to shoot one or two videos and turning the critter’s head to several different poses, as well as positioning yourself in different positions.

19-Jul-21
There are voice command camera apps as well.

19-Jul-21
Troy, someone told me that taking stills from a video works except the resulting pics are not of the same pixel quality. Not sure if that’s true

19-Jul-21
Troy that might work to show someone your phone with a picture on it. But you would not want to print it.

19-Jul-21
Thanks guys.

19-Jul-21

19-Jul-21
Yep, I use one of those bendy leg tripods and a cheap Bluetooth remote. I used to do the 10 photo burst thing but the remote is so much more convenient. No hurrying to get into position and only takes photos precisely when you want. I also like to shoot a little video with my story of the hunt and the remote works great for that.

19-Jul-21

Bentstick54's embedded Photo
Bentstick54's embedded Photo
I picked up a cheap selfie stick from Walmart for my iPhone , cut the end off and pulled the wires out. It fits on the nock end of an arrow, so I clip my phone in, slip it on the arrow, stick the arrow in the ground, and set the timer on my phone. It’s 7” long, weighs nothing, and is always in my daypack.

20-Jul-21
X5 on the Clip-Shot

20-Jul-21
How well taking single frames from a video clip works will depend on the video quality, both pixel count and frames-per-second.

Cheap 'arrow' mount is 3-4 inches of 1/4-20 threaded rod, or long bolt with the head cut off. Remove the nock from the arrow, stick arrow in ground, thread shank into camera and stick into arrow. BUT you'll need an arrow ID larger than .250. Alternately, fashion a slip-over from a piece of old aluminum arrow that fits the end of your arrow. (Dang now I gotta go check my 'junk' pile.)

20-Jul-21

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
My phone is set up for voice activation...if I say "shoot", it goes off. I pack a mini tripod, that can also be attached to a tree limb if desired, or to my trekking pole/umbrella.

20-Jul-21
My iPhone 11 can shoot video with resolution up to 4K at 60 FPS. The resulting still pics that can be captured from video are excellent, even for printing.

Matt

20-Jul-21

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Rocks stacked up and a point and shoot camera

20-Jul-21

Backpack held up by an arrow, and an iPhone set on a timer.

22-Jul-21
Taking video with the front (you might get lower resolution vs the rear camera) camera so you can see how it will turn out. Taking screen shots from the video works for me.

22-Jul-21
Clips shot, it is tiny and easy to use. I also have one that is very small the I can clip 3 arrows into to make a tripod. Can't remember what it is called.

22-Jul-21
Small little adjustable tripod and a Bluetooth remote. Works great!

23-Jul-21
Thanks guys! Do you need service/WiFi for the remote to work?

24-Jul-21
No, you don't need service or wifi for a Bluetooth remote to work.

25-Jul-21
MUCH higher quality if you just use the timer on your phone vs. taking a screenshot of a video

• Sitka Gear