smarba 23-Jul-21
Bowfreak 23-Jul-21
Cheesehead Mike 23-Jul-21
Cornpone 23-Jul-21
wyliecoyote 24-Jul-21
Boris 25-Jul-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 25-Jul-21
22-Jul-21
ok guys, steer me in the right direction. I use onx but its a pain in the neck to navigate with it because it doesn't lead you, so im constantly looking at my compass to just get my direction down. which gps is easy to use, that I can add coordinates easily without being in the spot that I already have saved on onx. its basically for stands, cameras and new areas I hunt especially out of state. I don't have a problem navigating and can use the compass no problem but I just feel that the gps may be easier to hit go to and then go. versus checking onx and then having to check where im heading etc. any helps appreciated.

22-Jul-21
OnX has a goto waypoint feature that does what you seem to be describing. Click on your waypoint, click on go to waypoint and follow line to your waypoint.

22-Jul-21
idk how to describe it. it does the "go to" which I use to know how far I am away, but it doesn't position so that as I look at the phone I can't just follow the line from point A to point B. I still need to use my compass to get my direction or keep spinning my phone around to follow the blue dot on the line from point A to B. I guess call it picky but its a pain in my backside lol.

22-Jul-21
Ohio I tried that….it wouldn’t work tho. I’m gonna try and Delete the app and reinstall it . Thanks for the tip!

22-Jul-21
Ya I thought that’s what it use to do. Cuz I’ve used it before. Now it won’t. stays a circle. I’m gonna delete and redownload tomorrow at work. Thanks man

22-Jul-21
I don't like navigating with onx either. I hate that blue pointer thing and I don't want to stare at my phone while I'm walking. I use my Garmin 64 and a compass for a lot of my navigation. You can download all your onx waypoints into your computer and then upload them into a GPS. Very quick and simple.

23-Jul-21
MA-PA, to answer your original question, any of the hand held Garmins will do exactly what you want. Over the years I've had the Etrex, 64csx, and now 64s. They are extremely accurate and I also like navigating with them much more than my phone, especially in the dark. Although I haven't powered up my gps much in the last year.

23-Jul-21
I have a 64s. It’s still boxed up. I’ll be figuring out how to upload stuff on it and give it a whirl! Thanks everyone

23-Jul-21
I have a 64s too. Works well, but the maps lose detail in flatter terrain, elevations less than 10 feet. For navigation I also use an Inreach. I pair it with my phone, and I can view/navigate using the same USGS map as the paper map in my hand. Using the Garmin Inreach website, you can set up routes and other waypoints to download to the Inreach. I grew up using the USGS maps, pre-scout with them, and never go into the field without one. You can essentially do the same thing with the 64s. The Garmin Explorer website is a handy tool to use together with the 64s and does pretty much the same thing as the Inreach.

23-Jul-21
I’ll have to check out that website EMB.

23-Jul-21
Agree with OP, my phone doesn't "point" me in the right direction with OnX at all. Samsung Galaxy. Often as I am unmoving the pointer will swing wildly and cover 270 degrees. When I'm walking it often shows me pointing almost 180 degrees opposite the direction I'm moving. My friend on iPhone seems to perform better.

For me the only way to truly see how I'm navigating is to look at the trail "behind" me, which isn't exactly efficient when I'm stumbling around in the dark. Garmin points me 100% all the time.

23-Jul-21
smarba,

I have the same issue with Gaia. I really like the app but the arrow never points in the direction I travel. I downloaded Basemap and the arrow seems to work just like it is supposed to for me. I will probably purchase it and use it deer hunting locally just to see if it is something I want to rely on out west.

23-Jul-21
When I'm trying to navigate in the dark such as back to camp. I usually pull out my Garmin get the heading to camp, and then take out my compass and look at a distant mountain peak star in the sky or whatever that's on the same heading that I want to go and then I walk in that general direction until I figure I've closed the distance and then I'll check it on my GPS and check my heading and possibly check OnX. For me that's the most efficient and most precise way to navigate in the dark.

23-Jul-21
I use Gaia and it's "Guideme" works the same as my Garmin eTrex "Goto". To the point I gave my eTrex to a friend...Gaia totally suits my needs.

Bowfreak said "I have the same issue with Gaia. I really like the app but the arrow never points in the direction I travel."

I guess I don't understand this statement. If you do a "Guideme" and tap that position icon twice it will absolutely point you at your waypoint. Even if you don't do a "Guideme" but tap the position icon until you get the arrow as you twirl around it will point in the direction you're looking. If it doesn't work that way for you give Gaia a call...they've got good support.

Prior to getting Gaia I was considering OnX or Huntstand. However I discounted both of those because they didn't do a Garmin "GoTo" nor the equivalent Gaia "GuideMe". That feature is very important to me. Now...I haven't checked lately to see if either of those have updated their software to do so.

24-Jul-21
My very old magellen 315 just has an arrow that constantly points toward the waypoint I wish to arrive at...easy peasy ??

25-Jul-21
I got have a Garmin Oregon 450t. I am not that tech savy. This I set my waypoints to where I want to , meaning if I was there before and want to return to that spot, I just set my waypoint to that location. Where I rifle hunt, My spot is about i mile in. At the truck, just hit the waypoint for that spot and it takes me right to it, even in the dark. When I get there, it PEEPS at me.

25-Jul-21
im currently playing with my Garmin 64s. learning to set way points and what not and its navigating well so far. just in the back of the house which I know like the back of my hand anyways. but its a step forward for sure. and deleting and redownloading onx made it work as well.

• Sitka Gear