WV Mountaineer 29-Jul-21
butcherboy 29-Jul-21
ki-ke 29-Jul-21
Buglmin 29-Jul-21
razorsharp 30-Jul-21
Blood 30-Jul-21
sundowner 31-Jul-21
29-Jul-21
Have been shooting FMJs out of my compound and recurve for years. Time for new compound arrows. Is there a better mouse trap out there? Been a long time since I have researched the subject. I see that BassPro doesn't carry Easton products anymore but still carries GoldTip and Victory. I saw some small diameter all carbon shafts. Curious about those.

29-Jul-21
The weight of the FMJ is nice. FMJ hit hard. With carbon arrows you can achieve some better Front of center because they are little lighter gpi. Just depends what you want.

I shot the 4mm FMJ for a few years. I found that aluminum can bend but it has better spine tolerances than all carbon. In my mind better spine tolerances equals better accuracy and accuracy with fixed blades. When I would test the FMJ injexions on a spine tester they would have very little spine deviation. Also bending was never an issue If I hit something hard enough to bend an arrow it would have broke a carbon arrow

29-Jul-21
I shot FMJ's for many years. Just got tired of the slight bends so now I am trying Black Eagle Rampages. They're about the exact same weight, and slightly thinner. Might be worth a look. Hoping for a little tougher arrow.

29-Jul-21
I agree with Mr Paul’s. I absolutely can’t stand the bending. And the HIT insert system is a weak point IMO as well. I won’t shoot FMJ anymore except for super heavy DG type stuff. Tons of good arrow choices out there these days.

—Jim

29-Jul-21
I've shot fmj's since they came out, awesome arrows, last year I bought some axis, one spine heavier I used the 50gr brass inserts and they weigh the same as my fmj's with no worries of bending

29-Jul-21
FMJs come in several diameters now, since you expressed an interest in the smaller diameter arrows. Also, it's hard to beat how easy they are to pull from 3D targets compared to carbon.

29-Jul-21
I shot fmj’s for years but like others, I got fed up with the bending. I’ve been pleased with Easton 5mm Axis with brass inserts.

29-Jul-21
Bloodsport Evidence. Small diameter (.165") & heavy (11.7gpi). Tough as a 20 penny nail. Flies like a bullet.

29-Jul-21
Echo Echo Echo

I show a bunch of stuff with FMJ's and made most everything very dead, but the aluminum makes them more susceptible to breaking or bending. I went with the Easton Axis this year and went with a 50 grain brass insert also to increase my FOC. It was hard for me to get an acceptable FOC with my FMJ's without adding too much weight.

I'm very happy with the 5mm Easton Axis.

29-Jul-21
I've shot FMJ's for quite a few years. Great shaft IMO. About two years ago tried some Axis 5mm and never went back to FMJ's. Like stated you can add weight up front. You can also get the Iron Will collars.

29-Jul-21
Yep same as others I switched from FMJs to 5MM axis and really like em.

29-Jul-21
Thanks guys, I have heard a lot of good things about the axis 5mm.

29-Jul-21
Easton Axis, brass inserts

29-Jul-21
Probably don't have to say it now but yup, Easton Axis. I put a collar (or footing) on mine.

29-Jul-21
If you aren't against buying something not made in America, I'd check out the Victory VAPs with the 60 grain outsert. You could build a nice high FOC arrow with that shaft. I always have this guilt thing about not buying USA made though. So my next arrows will probably be something from Easton.

29-Jul-21
I always bitch about the online reviews that give a product 5 stars and say "Just unwrapped it. Looks great!" and I'm thinking, you haven't even USED it yet??!!!

So I guess I'll do the same. I too got fed up with slight bends in FMJ. I bought Day Six arrows this year. Same weight as my FMJs, thinner. And they shoot great. They are more expensive, but they do come fletched and cut. Actually shoot right with my FMJs, I didn't move my sight at all (which has amazed me).

BUT, I haven't shot anything with them yet. I'm headed to Africa in a couple weeks though, so I guess I'll give them a workout and report back

29-Jul-21

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
90 yards. Same pin I used to use at 90 with my FMJs

29-Jul-21
I can’t see 90 yards. Much less shoot a bow that far. That’s sone good shooting bake.

29-Jul-21
I just went back to fmj’s. I was shooting Easton Hexx but I think they are a little too light for my liking. I don’t mind having a an arrow that might bend once in a while. I’m from the old school of aluminum arrows anyways. If I ever switch again it will be to Easton 5mm Axis or Black Eagle. I started shooting the 75 grain half out inserts and either a 125 gr or 150 gr broadhead.

29-Jul-21
I was also on this hunt a couple years ago. I had been shooting the Axis for years, but found that 1 or 2 shafts out of every dozen were flyers with out of wack spines. A larger issue for me is the weak connection between the end of the shaft and the broadhead (or field point, for that matter). On angled contact with something hard, (bone, target support, anything) the head sometimes torques against the sfaft and causes splits in the carbon, rendering the shaft wasted, or worse, potentially wrecks penetration on a big animal. I know there are insert/outserts that may help prevent that, so that may be a solution to the weak HIIT system.

I moved onto the VAP's 2 years ago and find it to be a superior system. I shoot the VAP TKO's, mid grade or Elites, depending on whats on sale when I need more....

Good luck!

29-Jul-21
I've been building a lot of custom arrows lately again, and built several dozen arrows with Daysix shafts. We spine each arrow and I'm often surprised by the spine inconsistency on several manufacturers top shafts. But the Daysix arrows, wow!!! I second Daysix to replace the fmj's, ashaft I thought very highly of.

30-Jul-21
Ordered a dozen Axis 5mm shafts. Thanks for the input guys!

30-Jul-21
Buglmin, aren’t all the Day Six shafts 4mm?

31-Jul-21
Easton ACC. IMO the best hunting shaft ever made. Straight, durable, and dependable.

• Sitka Gear