Ron Niziolek 13-Aug-21
bentstick54 13-Aug-21
Steve H. 14-Aug-21
Slate 14-Aug-21
Alexis Desjardins 15-Aug-21
Elmer@laptop 15-Aug-21
TREESTANDWOLF 15-Aug-21
29-Jul-21
Well my luck ran out and I ended up completely snapping my radial head off at the elbow getting bucked off a horse, surgery was done tuesday and now I have a metal implant replicating that joint. I know my regular archery season is shot for this year. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar procedure and what time it took you to get back in action and what adaptations you had to make. This sucks a lot but im trying to stay positive and get back in action soon. Thanks, The New Iron Man

29-Jul-21
Praying for a speedy and successful recovery.

29-Jul-21
I hate this for you brother. Life is short. Hunting opportunities are too few as is. Throw in life and there’s even less time. Good luck.

29-Jul-21
Can't answer your question but prayers on a quick heal. The magicalness of those dang horses ranks right up there with a stickbow arrow flight.

29-Jul-21
Hate to hear of such bad luck. I know several archers locally that had shoulder surgeries and quickly learned to hot with a mouth tab. One is a lady that shoots compound, the other is man that shoots recurve. Both very successfully. Might be worth considering.

29-Jul-21
Good luck with the recovery Orion.

29-Jul-21
Crossbow it.....

29-Jul-21
No experience with that, but suggest you listen closely to the doctor about what should and should not do. This fall is likely toast. Don’t take chances and mess up the rest of your hunting seasons.

29-Jul-21
Man that stinks. Can you say that heck with it and use a crossbow? Ive got an extra excalibur micro I can send you to use. I have the cocking crank for it as well

29-Jul-21
Yep, stay positive for sure. Heal quickly. my best, Paul

29-Jul-21
Bow arm or draw arm?

29-Jul-21

29-Jul-21
Sucks you got hurt, I know what your feeling though. I laid my bike down a month ago and broke 11 bones. Almost positive I’ll be hunting by the rut.

Follow PT instructions!

29-Jul-21
Thanks everyone and it had to be the draw arm Medecinemann. I am gonna go talk to the pro shop here about getting a mouth release to shoot with during recovery. wvfarrier, I appreciate that a whole lot but crossbows just aren't my thing. Hawkeye, you hit the nail on the head their. One passion just stole the other this time.

29-Jul-21
Draw arm is better than bow arm. Hope you recover quickly and can salvage a season. Had my fair share of horse crashes. Not bronc but still hit the ground hard. Course I was way younger and bounced better.

29-Jul-21
Horses - big, powerfull and unpredictable. I trust your healing will go well.

29-Jul-21
cant answer your question directly but 5 years ago I had shoulder surgery..bone spur and reattached a bicep..takes some time to recover. Sounds like your situation is worse than mine but I pray you have a speedy recovery.. My wife fell off a horse 18 months ago, broke 6 ribs and punctured her right lung..took a while but she recovered.

29-Jul-21
Hope you have a speedy recovery, Orion!

30-Jul-21
That's tough news, I snapped my bicep tendon off below the elbow July last year and and just now getting close to 100%. I borrowed a crossbow and hunted off the ground six times during archery season and hated even having the crossbow so I just focused on rehab and smallmouth fished during the winter and focused on being able to bow hunt this year and I am ready!

30-Jul-21
Damn Dude!!

I've had my fair share of 'Rodeo's' with horses and when it's bad ~~ it's worse!

Hang in there and Recover smart and well,

Robb

30-Jul-21
Damn that sounds painful. I'm not much help with your question but i hope you come back stronger than ever. Bionic are perhaps? :-)

Speedy Recovery!

30-Jul-21
Im on the 5 year mark for recovering from an equine train wreck. I was working with a veterinarian on a big clydesdale that was under a anasthesia. She suddenly came out of it and stomped my ass into a puddle of mush.

30-Jul-21
Grab a crossbow and dont miss anything.

30-Jul-21
Bummer. Best of luck on recovery. I'm coming off of shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago and rehabbing hard (but safely and within my limits). Hoping to use my compound bow for antelope and deer in a month. Good luck!

30-Jul-21
Heal well and quickly brother.

30-Jul-21
Google PSE Pete Sheply he broke something and had an elk hunt in weeke someone sewed a harness with a release attached drew with bow arm and touched off shot with damaged arm

30-Jul-21
Dang it! Best of luck.

30-Jul-21
Speedy recovery. From my experience with multiple shoulder surgeries and having to use a crossbow for a time. Carrying around a dang crossbow is a pain, literally a pain, I hurt my shoulder just hauling that thing in the woods.

30-Jul-21
Few years ago I had a lower bicep tendon tear - already drew my tag. No way I'm NOT going elk hunting so I used a crossbow, heavy and loud but still better than being bummed while setting at home.

One day of missed elk hunting, is one day you won't get back.

30-Jul-21
Dang it!

30-Jul-21
should be able to draw by 8 weeks but would start with low poundage. implant will be ok but soft tissue envelope will need to heal. work hard on range of motion as extension loss is common with this

30-Jul-21
You might consider installing a drawlock on your bow. I installed one on my spare Mathew's bow just in case something like that happens to me and it seems like it would work out for me. Best of luck with your recovery.... Badbull

31-Jul-21
10-4. Just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the mouthpiece alternative....

12-Aug-21
Medicinemann, and all of you, thankyou for all of the advice. Been shooting with a mouth tab every day and I am lethal out to 20, cranking up poundage to 60 tomorrow and going to shoot at 30. Can't thank you all enough. I have a good pack crew lined up and will be able to salvage part of my season. Goes to show that you can do anything you set your mind to. I hope to post a kill this year with this rig. Also I very highly want to thank Big Sky Archery in Four Corners, MT for making this a reality and being willing to work with me on this.

12-Aug-21
Orion, best of luck to you brother ! Break a l…….uh, don’t break anything else and have a good season ! ;-)

13-Aug-21
Good stuff

13-Aug-21
Way to go on the mouth tab! Hope you have the most successful season ever and heal up 100% for next year!

13-Aug-21
Heal fast and well

13-Aug-21
Man, that sucks. Do what your docs tell you, if they send you for PT, ditto. Good luck.

13-Aug-21
I hadn't seen this, Orion, but I'm glad you made the mouth tab choice. It's very doable. Good luck!

13-Aug-21
Hope the healing is going well, and glad to hear that a mouth tab is working out for you. There’s little you can’t do if you set your mind to it. And yes, we do expect to see pictures.

14-Aug-21
"Grab a crossbow"?! The dude got injured, he didn't have a sex change operation. Good grief....

14-Aug-21
Steve I was waiting for a knucklehead response. You are the winner. Pretty funny though.

15-Aug-21
Ouch those darn horses we love them ????

15-Aug-21
Damn.....that sucks...hope the healing goes quick and smooth!

15-Aug-21
Slow and steady your back in the race bud.

Best wishes and heal well

• Sitka Gear