wytex 03-Aug-21
Grey Ghost 03-Aug-21
Rut Nut 03-Aug-21
Paul@thefort 03-Aug-21
Lone Bugle 03-Aug-21
KHunter 04-Aug-21
goelk 04-Aug-21
30-Jul-21
If this rain keeps up, some people may need to reroute. From my place, I plan on taking Hwy 50, etc... to get to my area. I need to get out there and have a look around soon.

30-Jul-21
YEah this last one will be all weekend clean up and inspection. I70 Near Glenwood has been closed almost as much as I80 in the winter...

30-Jul-21
I understand that there is heavy road construction on Hwy 50 west of Gunnison…plan accordingly!!!

30-Jul-21
When the monsoonal moisture kicks in, it can be both a blessing and a curse. The moisture is nice…in moderation. I had family coming back from Yellowstone a few days ago. Hoback Canyon south of Jackson had mud flowing over the road, and by the time they got to Rock Springs the town was flooded and still raining hard. Best of luck billiegoat, and prayers to all that are affected!

30-Jul-21
Thanks I'm lucky in that I turn off of 50 onto 92. The construction starts just west of 92 by Sapinero. I did spend a few days scouting out a brand new to me area, but I don't think I found any unknown OTC hot spot. Still, good to see some new country and not get too stuck in a rut.

31-Jul-21
Headed through Colorado with the camper on Wednesday on our way to Zion for a Narrows top down backpack trip. Staying in Grand Junction one night Looks like I need to find an alternate route coming east from KS. Any suggestions?

31-Jul-21
Your best bet is probably to follow the CDOT site detour of 9 north, 40 west, 13 south. It's at least a couple hours out of the way, but there just aren't any quick alternatives. I would check their site along with local weather. Maybe you can just make it on 70. I will admit, I'm curious to get a look at it.

31-Jul-21
"Your best bet is probably to follow the CDOT site detour of 9 north, 40 west, 13 south"

Ryan, that's one helluva detour, but it will put you thru some beautiful country.

Safe travels, my friend.

Matt

31-Jul-21
When do they expect it to be opened.

31-Jul-21
Thanks BG and GG. I will be watching CDOT posts closely until we leave.

“Ryan, that's one helluva detour, but it will put you thru some beautiful country.“ LOL. Of course cause it’s CO and the Rockies. No matter where I’m driving in CO or the mountains I won’t be complaining.

Stay well.

01-Aug-21
Reports of some slides 12 feet deep and 150 yards wide. Closures are occurring daily.

01-Aug-21
I live here buy the cayon. It's going to be awhile before it's open......... if it doesn't rain anymore.

01-Aug-21

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10100219173297998&id=124700154

01-Aug-21
It seems that canyon has always been a traffic nightmare. I remember the days when it was just 2 lanes, and it was always painfully slow, and sometimes dangerous, to drive. Then, construction of 4 lanes started. They did some amazing work, but it took a looooong time, and traffic delays were a given for years. I don't recall ever driving thru the canyon when there wasn't some sort of road construction work going on. Now this mess. SMH.

Matt

01-Aug-21
You are in CO and coming east from KS?

01-Aug-21
So I take it you got some rain? Seems like it is all or nothing the last few years? Ohio has been as wet as it can be up until a week or so ago. Problem is it all comes down in an hour or two instead of spread out. Hope everyone and property are safe.

01-Aug-21
That looks like, at best, it will be down to a slow 1 lane going each way for a long time.

01-Aug-21
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4156646717723536&id=186366104751637

01-Aug-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

01-Aug-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

02-Aug-21
Last year's burns may have had something to do with the mudslides in that canyon.

02-Aug-21
The burns have a lot to do with the slides. Just bummed about the mess they made for floating the Colorado. Total chocolate milk. Gonna be rough on the trout.

02-Aug-21
What a pain in the butt for the locals

02-Aug-21
Wow!

ElkNut

02-Aug-21
Ya gotta rake the forest....

03-Aug-21
Alot of people don't realize that's I70.... one of the biggest roads in the US. Alot of cars and alot of trucks use this route very day.

03-Aug-21
Latest news indicates that l-70 will be closed for weeks probably til ski season. Major structural damage to the elevated roadway. And then that may be only one lane each way.

03-Aug-21
Oh boy, if this^^ is true, the detour route is going be a sh!t show this fall. It runs thru some of the heaviest hunted areas in the state, already. Add the detour traffic to that, and it's going to be an absolute mess.

Matt

03-Aug-21
This is one of the strongest monsoons in decades. Up north in the mountains where we live, it has rained about five out of seven days for weeks. Stuff that is usually brown is still bright green. Right now at 9 a.m. it is a downpour. That almost never happens in summer.

Luckily we are a few miles north of the Cameron Peak burn scar, but the Poudre Canyon is getting hammered with slides too, as with other places in last summer's fires. If it ain't one thing, its another.

03-Aug-21
I won't be coming thru there till mid-October. Hopefully it's open by then. If not, then I will plan on Independence Pass. But it's getting close to when they close it. If that won't work, then it's HWY 50 I guess

03-Aug-21
Lou, we're experiencing the same thing here in central Colorado. I don't recall a wetter/greener summer in the 21 years I've been here. On the bright side, my horses are fat and happy without supplemental feed, and I'm sure the wildlife is doing equally well. Should be a good antler growth year, if the trend continues.

Matt

03-Aug-21

Bow Bullet's Link
Some drone footage...

03-Aug-21
That does not look good for the river .

03-Aug-21
Does anyone know if the worst damage is up or downstream of the hydroelectric plant?

Matt

03-Aug-21
I remember driving thru that canyon in '91 on the way back from Utah. Engineering marvel for sure. That's gonna take a MASSIVE amount of work to clean up/fix! : (

03-Aug-21
I also remember in the past and after the road was completed, a few people being killed in their vehicles from falling rocks. This slide will not be the last time this will happen.

03-Aug-21
How long before the gold miners end up on the hill? Lots of new rock exposed.

04-Aug-21
yes, Paul, no reason to think this will not be a multiyear occurrence.

Just gonna have to suck it up and survive without going to costco in Gypsum for awhile. But no ready access to Bonfire Brewing, now that smarts..

04-Aug-21
that drone video really was something too see. Amazing thanks for sharing

• Sitka Gear