Cheesehead Mike 01-Aug-21
GDx 01-Aug-21
MarkU 01-Aug-21
badbull 01-Aug-21
Hancock West 02-Aug-21
IndElk 03-Aug-21
Slate 03-Aug-21
31-Jul-21
Need some help and input, I’m from Indiana.. We been archery elk hunting Idaho for the last 13 years. We ended up settling for B tags or no tags. So here’s the question. Do we archery hunt for a cow or spike for 15 days or do we hold out and hunt the 7 day rifle season bull only. In mid October. We have never done the rifle season, only archery in sept. Any input would be appreciated.

31-Jul-21
What is your success rate for archery these past 13 yrs? Could you compare that rate to the success rate for rifle season in your unit? I assume it would be available on Idaho Game and Fish website. I suppose you are waiting to hear from some hunters who have hunted the rifle season and get feedback on hunting pressure, etc... Hopefully some will respond.

31-Jul-21
Your bowhunters hunt elk bow season.,

Unless your phasing out of bowhunting and looking to learn rifle season .

31-Jul-21
Personally. I'd do the Sept 2 week hunt for cow or spike. A longer hunt so more fun and you'd still get in on rut action even tho you can't shoot a mature bill. Just all around more fun. Somebody will mention on this thread you can't eat antlers so I won't bring it up.

31-Jul-21
You can't eat antlers... :-)

31-Jul-21
You can't bow hunt if your rifle hunting. Personally I would rather hunt elk one week with a bow vs 2 weeks with a rifle. What's most important to you... filling your tags or the hunt?

31-Jul-21
Do whatever you desire who really cares what others think. Most guys on here would hang you for touching a rifle. Me I enjoy it all. I hunt with bow, rifle, crossbow. I’m not as simple minded as many others. Have fun with whatever you do.

31-Jul-21
Why does hunting with a bow only and choosing to not gun hunt, make you simple minded, Slate? I seem to recall pics of your brown bear on the bear meatpole thread. (which you disclosed was a rifle kill) I don’t recall a single negative comment about it.

I’d say it’s totally your decision IndElk. If you’re happy hunting elk with a gun, enjoy yourself. Same thing with archery gear.

31-Jul-21
T-roy you drew your own conclusion and assumed as to what makes one simple minded. I just stated I’m not as simple minded as many. I posted my bear because it wasn’t a bow only post trust me I know it’s Bowsite.com. If hunting with a bow is the only weapon you choose then so be it. I don’t judge either way.

31-Jul-21
I like chasing the bulls and have always chased deer with rifle (enjoy gun hunting also) so would do the rifle thing.

31-Jul-21
It your decision to choose the weapon. Just enjoy the hunt regardless of the method. Good luck and wish you success.

31-Jul-21
“I’m not as simple minded as many others.” The quote doesn’t even relate to what OP asked.

31-Jul-21
I enjoy both, rifle and bow hunting, but bow a lot more. Do what you want.

01-Aug-21
“I don’t judge either way.” Well, you know, except for those that are simple minded.

01-Aug-21

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

01-Aug-21
I like the Fall Colors of bowhunting September and the first hints of fall in the smell of the air and maybe an early dusting of fresh snow.......

I would bow hunt the spike/cow and most prolly have lot less Crowd Control and rifle hunters.

Whatever ya decide for sure Enjoy!

Good luck, Robb

01-Aug-21
I would rather hunt bulls with rifle than cows with bow.

01-Aug-21
"I just stated I’m not as simple minded as many."

"I don’t judge either way."

Damn, that's a big bowl of irony for Sunday morning.

IndElk, it's your hunt. Do what YOU want.

01-Aug-21
October hunt is any weapon. I would hunt earlier by the late hunt they will be educated. On other hand in October weather could bring them down lower.

01-Aug-21
Irony ah yes the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically by humorous or emphatic effect. I'm with you Tom.

01-Aug-21
If you’ve never gun hunted for elk you’ll be surprised at how much harder bulls are to find than during September. The words needle in a haystack come to mind. So to me it comes down to one thing and one thing only. Do you want a bull bad enough to end up with tag soup or would you be perfectly content with a cow os spike? If you’re ok not shooting a branch antlered bull then you should definitely hunt archery. If you want a bigger bull AND think you can find them later in the season then go for it. I love September, but I’m a bine collector and confident so I’d gun hunt under those circumstances. 7 days is short though so if that were the case I’d get there early and put in 5 days of serious scouting before the season started.

01-Aug-21
Stick to the archery hunt.

01-Aug-21
Whenever I hear someone say "you can't eat antlers" I respond with "yeah, well you can't hang meat on the wall". :-)

01-Aug-21
my wife hung mine on the wall after i said "I do"

01-Aug-21
I don't know where you hunt in Idaho, but I have'nt gun hunted elk here since the mid eighties, for a number of reasons.

I do spend the whole month of Sept. hunting elk, and would rather shoot a small bull early in the season than a big one later. Or a cow.

01-Aug-21
After 13 years archery l know that I would be disappointed with the rifle hunt. If you do go rifle then you would know what the difference is before making your future decisions. I have never rifle hunted elk but I can only imagine the amount of pressure. Loved to bowhunt elk in Idaho before the wolves ruined the area that I hunted. Wish you success in whatever you decide..... Badbull

02-Aug-21
So your gonna potentially drive from Indiana to idaho both ways knowing you wont be able to shoot a bull under any circumstance after youve been chasing them for 13years? Under those circumstances Id go for the bull with the gun

03-Aug-21
Thanks for all the opinions and input. We are gonna go chase them with the rifle. With the pressure of tags and possibly not being able to get one next year I’d rather chase a bull Thanks again. Best of luck to all this fall.

03-Aug-21
Billy great choice good luck and update us. Wish I was chasing Elk this season.

• Sitka Gear