12yards 02-Aug-21
Jack Whitmrie jr 02-Aug-21
Buffalo1 02-Aug-21
Kurt 02-Aug-21
ElkNut1 02-Aug-21
t-roy 02-Aug-21
Jack Whitmrie jr 02-Aug-21
01-Aug-21
This BH has the nickname of "The Penetrator" because it penetrates so well. It is a very well constructed head that should break bones and penetrate very well. I would be using this BH with a 50# Elite Ritual. Arrow is Easton Axis 27"

Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of this BH? I am interested in accuracy & blood trail information.

01-Aug-21
Personally (idk if it’s just what I’ve been told forever or actually legit) I stay away from vented due to them clogging up with hair and stifling blood trail in the event you made a less than perfect shot and don’t get a pass thru etc. could be just a “thing” that was instilled in me with not much scientific backing behind it tho.

01-Aug-21
MA-PA you can also argue that a solid head has more friction drag to it lol. How does that saying go? Lol

01-Aug-21
Old wives' tale

01-Aug-21
This BH has the nickname of "The Penetrator" because it penetrates so well. It is a very well constructed head that should break bones and penetrate very well. I would be using this BH with a 50# Elite Ritual. Arrow is Easton Axis 27" Does anyone have first hand experience or knowledge of this BH? I am interested in accuracy & blood trail information?

01-Aug-21
At 27" draw & 50# trad bow I'd do everything in my power to stay away from any major bones. Ribs, ok, other than that no way!

Back in the day my Son pulled his shot a bit on a spike at 10 yards called in with a cold calling setup. He was pulling 60# @ 28" on a recurve with a 565 grain cedar shaft. The 2 blade Swickey hit smack in the scapula/shoulder blade, the head went through but no shaft did, it caught the first lung, the bull went 250 yards with zero blood trail. We were darned lucky to track him down with zero blood! Avoid major bone especially at low # & short draw!

ElkNut

02-Aug-21
I think it would be a great head for your setup.

02-Aug-21
Elite ritual is a compound bow isn't it? Either way that is a great broadhead use it with confidence !

02-Aug-21
The Elite Ritual is a compound. I have the 33" original issue Ritual. It is not a "rocket launcher" but it is smooth draw, quiet & accurate. One of the best bows I've ever owned. Being only 50# draw, I am looking for a good BH that delivers penetration, blood trail and is accurate.

It think the VPA will deliver, but I am concerned about the blood trail. I have had mixed experiences with the 2-blade VPA BH. I have shot pigs with decent blood trails and kudus with no blood trails. I'm trying to find other hunters' experience with the particular BH.

Tks

02-Aug-21
I've seen poor blood trails with sharp two-blade Zwickey Eskimo heads...Eskimos are the same width at 1-1/8" as the VPA you are discussing. If it was me, I'd shoot the 3-blade VPA of the same 1-1/8" cutting dia with 50% more cut and likely be happier. YMMV, good luck!

02-Aug-21
100% with Kurt! I thought it was a trad bow that was being shot! Being it's a compound I'd suggest a 3-4 bladed head in a heart beat & not look back. Much better blood trails to be had & you'll get plenty of penetration with razor sharp heads.

I'd consider the Viper Tricks or like head, it will do the job at your poundage no problem! I'd stick with 425 grains or so as well & up that speed a bit without compromising penetration. An arrow can be built in the 425 grain range with near 200 grains up front, that's giving you an FOC of closer to 17-18 I'd assume. That would be awesome elk medicine!

ElkNut

02-Aug-21
FWIW…..I shoot a VPA 3 blade, and have killed lots of critters with them. They are very tuff heads and pretty easy to resharpen. My only complaint about them is, more often than not, I’m not overly impressed with the blood trails.

02-Aug-21
I also shoot a 3 blade 125 grain VPA, they are awesome!

• Sitka Gear