32Timbers 03-Aug-21
dmandoes 03-Aug-21
craigmcalvey 03-Aug-21
t-roy 03-Aug-21
32Timbers 04-Aug-21
t-roy 04-Aug-21
Norseman 04-Aug-21
03-Aug-21
1/2 of my corn came up ok and the other 1/2 only came up knee high. Any suggestions on just planting between the rows with clover or winter wheat? Or cut down the short corn, till it up and plant something different.

03-Aug-21
Whats the problem? dry, wet, or something else.

03-Aug-21
Cut it and till it in. Plant brassica and cereal grain mix.

Craig

03-Aug-21
You need to clarify things a bit. Do you have 2 different stands of corn, one of them that is doing fine, and a second plot that is stunted?

04-Aug-21
It is just one spot and is a little over an acre of corn. We are in a drought. I was surprised the one 1/2 came up the way it did. The better 1/2 that came was closer to a tree line and had more shade. Not sure if that was the reason. I was thinking of either mowing the one 1/2 down to plant winter wheat or just plant something in between the existing rows. My biggest struggle is keeping deer in the area after the snow starts to pile up. The corn has always kept them around.

04-Aug-21
I prefer cereal rye over wheat, but wheat will work as well. Instead of mowing it down, you can simply broadcast into your standing corn, and with decent moisture, it will grow. Same with some brassicas seed, but you probably won’t see tremendous growth on them, due somewhat to not as much sunlight from the corn shading it out, but you will get some growth. I would seed on the heavy side, especially with the cereal grains, due to probable lower germination. You could mix some oats in as well, however they aren’t very winter hardy and will die out after a couple of hard frosts.

On the brassicas, now is the time to broadcast them. I feel your pain about the drought conditions. Same here in Iowa. I’d still broadcast the seed, and most likely, it will just sit there until you get some rain. Hopefully a good soaker! I’d wait until around September 1st on the cereal grains, before broadcasting them. Hope that helps some. Good luck!

04-Aug-21
The standing corn would be great cover. How is the soil surface in the corn? Hard panned? You could try pulling a rake between the rows to help seed find a purchase when u do broadcast. Just a laborious thought!

• Sitka Gear