Contributors to this thread:
Disking verse herbicides
I have about 6 food plots from .25 to 2 acres that I am presently putting into annuals. Right now I am putting about half in brassicas and half in winter rye. I have been applying a herbicide either before and at the time of planting with mixed results on the brassicas. I have been reluctant to disc the plots for fear of bringing up too many weed seeds. I feel that if I were to disc and roll the plots I could get much better seed to soil contact and a better yield. What have you been doing for your annuals and specifically brassicas and what type of results have you been getting?
I generally disk and flush the weeds during the late spring and summer. After each flush, (once or twice), I apply herbicide. This cleans up the plot prior to my late summer planting of radishes, beets, winter rye etc. It can be done mechanically simply by disking every few weeks to mechanically kill the flushed weeds without herbicides. Personal preference I guess, any combination will work.
What do you mean by flush? I'm not familiar with that term.
I believe he’s referring to the new plants/weeds that sprout after the field is disced.
I just no-till drilled my oats and rye directly into my clover after mowing it short. The cereal grains are coming in nicely and I don’t need to fertilize much. No tilling or poisoning.
Each time you disk or work land, weed seeds are planted. I wait until they grow (flush), then kill them with herbicide or mechanical ( disking) before they mature and seed again. Can also rototill etc. This will help clean the field of weeds prior to your planting of crops. Roundup Ready crops can help shorten this process. Good luck this fall!
I have a plot that I planted in winter rye last spring. I planted super heavy (hoping for weed control) and with the dry weather, the rye got to about 6-8 inches tall. Mid July I sprayed with Round Up to kill the rye.
I used an old Van Brundt drill to "min till" (which really scratches the surface and drops seeds on top the ground) about 1/3 the plot when I stopped.
I couldn't find my drill/tractor tracks in the dead winter rye well enough to determine where I was actually seeding. I unhooked the drill and made a couple of passes on the unplanted section with a disk. I finished drilling the brassica in the disked area.
The germination throughout the undisked area far outpaces the disked area are at this time. Once it rained, I believe the dead winter rye residue retained more moisture and created a better seed germination environment than bare ground. Now I am waiting to see if more weeds come in the disked area.
Osceola, FWIW I have been repeatedly warned by my seed supplier not to plant brassicas in loose soil. They recommend rolling loose soil both before and after planting. It sounds like your results may support that recommendation.
I will keep that in mind.