wildwilderness 12-Aug-21
wildwilderness 14-Aug-21
Ken Moody Safaris 14-Aug-21
Potro 17-Aug-21
wildwilderness 17-Aug-21
11-Aug-21
Ok, I booked my first trip to Africa next summer. After elk and moose I plan to start working on setting up my spare bow for cape

It’s a 70-75lb Mathews veritix. Debating poundage. 75 lb pushes my strength limit and I don’t shot it as well as 70lb

My buddy who goes all the time says shoot 950 grain Grizzly sticks. My worry is with my anchor right now, and way lighter arrows, my fletching almost hits the bottom of my sight

I think I’m going to have to raise my peep and change my anchor significantly?

What distance should I prepare for is another question?

Any advice would be most welcome. Want to think through this before just jumping in

11-Aug-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I hunted cape buff 3x and killed a free range bull in Mozambique on my 3rd try. I used a 90lb bow with 1100 gr arrows that were aluminum with a carbon arrow inside it. Used a 2-blade 200gr broadhead.

Full penetration but no pass through. My bull died in 30 seconds.

75 will work but you have to hit the triangle perfectly or else big guns will be going off.

11-Aug-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Killed one on my second Buffalo hunt with 75# Mathews Vertix 1028 grain FMJ 250 DG

250 iron will buff head

The PH said max shot he liked was 20 yds.

I shot 25 yds with the bull quartering to me

The arrow impacted the heavy muscled shoulder and killed the bull quickly. No rifle back up needed.

Quartering away can be tough due to the angle of the ribs

You will get better penetration with the bull at slightly quartering to, mpacting the rib square instead of an angle

11-Aug-21

This is the angle I shot mine at. I’m not saying your PH prefers this angle but mine did. And I won’t speak for my PH on this forum.

But he was correct, and my bull died quickly

11-Aug-21
And you can only dream of shooting an Bull like Pats

11-Aug-21
Interesting Pat, are the not typically free range? Typically on game preserves etc?? With 3 young kids Africa’s a long ways away lol.

11-Aug-21
South Africa has a lot of fenced, stocked Buffalo hunts. Mozambique is primarily all free range more wild Africa.

I hunted with Ken Moody in South Africa. He only hunts large concessions with naturally breeding animals no stocked Buffalo

He also has a very large concession on the Limpopo River where animals are free To range back and forth out of South Africa

Where his last Buffalo hunt post was conducted

11-Aug-21
Ahh gotcha! Thanks!

11-Aug-21
Pat, you the man! 90lb draw weight. I couldn't pull 90 lbs when I was 18 and full of testosterone! Lol.

11-Aug-21
What country? Technically there are rules for each country- enforcement would be up to the PH though….

South Africa states 3 rules- 80# min draw weight, 750gr min arrow weight, 80ftlbs KE

11-Aug-21
I’d figure out how to pull at least 75 pounds. That’s what I used and I needed more. Yes some guys have killed them at lower draw weights. Some people have killed WT with a 22 rim fire. Don’t use Ashby BHs.

12-Aug-21

Entrance on the shoulder quartering to Me.

12-Aug-21

12-Aug-21

12-Aug-21
750 gr arrow MINIMUM with a two blade COC broadhead. Iron Will Buff Heads or original German Kinetics are the best we’ve used. Any modern compound of 70 lbs or better is totally capable with the above arrow/head combo but obviously more is better when it comes to buffalo. Quartering on shot 100% best shot on a buffalo with complete broadside and very slightly quartering away doable. Stay away from quartering away as the result is usually a raking shot ending up in the armpit or brisket.

12-Aug-21
We have two Texans in now bowhunting buffalo. Both are on buff now as a matter of fact.

12-Aug-21
Also, Easton DG arrows. Great for buff. Shots should be no more than 30 yards but practice to 40. Unless you’re hunting from a hide, practice kneeling shots, squatting shots, etc. Make it tough on yourself now so that you’ll be capable when called upon.

12-Aug-21
My father had an exceptional hunt with Alex McDonald in Mozambique. He got a 44" bull with his H&H double. Alex will take bowhunters. My mother accompanied him and had nothing but great things to say about Alex and Mozambique. This was his 8th trip to Africa and probably his favorite. He also got some exceptional plains game. All free-range, of course.

12-Aug-21
I leave 2 weeks from today, hunting with a group called intrepid safari. Taking a 72 pound bow shooting the 950 grain grizzstick and there ashby head. hope this is the medicine I need for buffalo.

12-Aug-21

Spiral Horn's Link
Been blessed to have taken a good number of wild bovines with a bow and arrow - both Cape and Asian Buffalo. Both have a tenacious will to live. In my experience the Cape is tougher. Even hit in the heart they generally don’t just collapse and die. A bad hit or ineffective penetration will end up with a very tense follow-up likely to result in gunfire.

Anyone experienced would likely recommend a very specialized, heavy-duty setup. My preferred kit was an Elite GTO with 80lb limbs, maxed-out to ~85lb pull, with a ~1000gr TW arrow, and an original German Kinetic Broadhead. They were PSE Arrows with a heavy insert that unfortunately are no longer made (Ricardo turned me on to them). Cannot recommend the original GK head strongly enough (180-220gr) - they are very effective. I’m certain similar setups would work just fine, but as folks have already said - don’t underestimate what it takes for adequate penetration on a Buffalo. Have taken all of mine between 15-35yds.

As far as strength - would suggest working up to it. Watched too many guys go right out and injure themselves trying to pull 90+lbs out of the gate. A device called a “Bowfit” helped me quite a bit, and really helped me to reliably pull and complete practice sessions with an 85lb bow. Keep in mind that buffalo are wide-awake, and one might have to pull that weight while kneeling or in an otherwise less than ideal setting or position at the end of long and intense stalk.

12-Aug-21
Awesome info guys. I have some work to do. Never would have never even considered a quartering to shot.

Very interesting

12-Aug-21
So is the Quarter too shot placement intended to go in FRONT of the shoulder bones?

13-Aug-21

You could. But Ken Moody likes just behind the shoulder at a slight angle to impact the rib at a more straight 90 degree angle.

14-Aug-21
So slight quarter too, and not so much a frontal?

14-Aug-21

14-Aug-21

14-Aug-21

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
Best shot placement for a buff with proper archery equipment.

14-Aug-21

Buffalo are shaped like a boat and their vitals are “armor plated.” Best path is thru thinnest part of bone hitting them square not on an angle.

14-Aug-21

They are a tank.

17-Aug-21
which arrow will you recommend?

17-Aug-21
Ken recommended the Easton Dangerous Game arrow shaft, and either Iron will Buff Series or original German Kinetic Silver flame broadheads.

• Sitka Gear