goyt 12-Aug-21
Castle Oak 14-Aug-21
c3 14-Aug-21
Tilzbow 15-Aug-21
Jack Whitmrie jr 15-Aug-21
11-Aug-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Starting to get the hang of shooting a release ( 2 weeks)…The only problem I think I’m having is the tension and trigger travel changing ( if that’s possible) after “ lots” of shots could be fatigue I guess as well…

This was 45 yards 2 fletched 1 bare shaft the bare shaft consistently groups with the fletched… aside from tightening up a little is this acceptable for bare shaft tuning?

11-Aug-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
20 yard bare shaft

11-Aug-21
Spot of impact looks great! It’s hard to tell from the picture but if the bareshaft is also in the same alignment as the fletched (not nock high, low, right or left) you’re good to go and start shooting broadheads to verify your tune with them.

Also, FWIW I just finalized my tune for the upcoming elk season and I found both my primary and backup bows both like a slightly nock high bareshaft that impacts a few inches low at 40 yards. Once I lowered the rest a little to get the bareshaft slightly nock high the broadheads stopped hitting high and are now shooting with field points to 70 yards which is as far as I’ve shot them so far. This has been a fairly consistent theme as long as I can remember but I seem to forget about it until tuning with broadheads.

12-Aug-21
LOL Shug! A bare shaft in there with your fletched at 45 yards is about as good of result as I've ever seen. If you can't get a broadhead to fly with those results, I'm giving up.

12-Aug-21
Absolutely!! Im with 12yards! Nice job, not many people (myself included) have form good enough to send a bareshaft that far and get those results!!

12-Aug-21
Yes Shug , you are doing well with that there tune!

12-Aug-21
Looks great Mark, most guys can't even hit the target with a bare shaft at 40! :)

12-Aug-21
I'd say your bow is tuned about as well as you are going to get it. Confirm with broad heads, then put reference marks on everything and don't tinker with it any more. Nice work.

Matt

12-Aug-21
Check broadheads and hunt!

12-Aug-21
Great shooting. Beyond about 30? yds I would expect bare shaft to hit progressively higher than fletcher as it has less drag?

12-Aug-21
Thanks guys… just have to get the release aid more consistent for my liking… I’m still shooting the same 20 year old Matthew’s ICON round wheel…

12-Aug-21
Try putting a little light weight oil on your release. It will break cleaner with less trigger travel. Also I find that how the barrel of the release swivels and the alignment of the trigger will effect how my finger rests on the trigger and how much pressure it takes to get it to fire. If you don't already try to hold the trigger in the position you want it by putting pressure on it's back side while you draw. It does not look like you need any help through. Nice shooting.

14-Aug-21
Looks like you got the collapsing thing figured out!! Great shooting Shug. I can shoot bareshafts like that only in my dreams.

14-Aug-21
That's awesome.

As has been said, most modern compounds are extremely difficult to get a bare shaft to fly past 30. 45 nearly impossible. I could get 50 with my old Drenalin LD. Nothing since then.

Congrats on a great tune and enjoy some fine bh flight !!!

Cheers, Pete

15-Aug-21
Snug,

What brand and model of release are you shooting?

15-Aug-21
NEVER seen anyone shoot a bare shaft at that distance that good, great job!

• Sitka Gear