Jaquomo 15-Aug-21
jordanathome 15-Aug-21
cnelk 16-Aug-21
Snuffer 16-Aug-21
Jaquomo 16-Aug-21
Bowboy 17-Aug-21
13-Aug-21

jordanathome's embedded Photo
This bull is in the drainage meadow below my old glassing rock. Love this spot. He is prolly at least 300+ yards away from me. I was fully zoomed in on my 300mm lens to capture this shot and it still is not as clear or sharp as I hoped. Solid 6.
This bull is in the drainage meadow below my old glassing rock. Love this spot. He is prolly at least 300+ yards away from me. I was fully zoomed in on my 300mm lens to capture this shot and it still is not as clear or sharp as I hoped. Solid 6.
I mean, Come On Man! This place is dead and its just under 3 weeks to the Archery Elk opener in Colorado. What is going on?

Hell, even I find myself not nearly as distracted or even thinking too much about the hunt this year. Used to be the anticipation was half the fun. Sharing stories of past camps, pics, plans...... Now its about grundies and hunting pants and boots for fat footed dudes with bunions.

I'm dying here. LOL

For myself, going back into my spot to locate a new camp site for this year's hunt. Going solo this year so I took a buddy's advice to relocate and hunt not so far back. Its a good spot that I've consistently glassed bulls come to feed in the evenings and through to the early morning. Tons of elk poop back in the timber that slopes up into steep north facing dark stuff.

I have a rock outcropping on the hill adjacent to the meadow and north facing slope that I have scouted before and recall some decent camp opportunities. Fresh water spring is down on the other side within 500 yards or less.

Still not all that excited. Sad but true. Maybe that will make the difference this year. Looking forward to checking my six game cams.....3 in the "new" spot and 3 back on the drainage meadow and ridge above at the "old" spot.

Who else is doing some scouting, checking game cams, getting gear sorted and ready?

13-Aug-21
Training, tuning and tweaking my equipment. The excitement is definitely building!

13-Aug-21
Breathe!!!!!

13-Aug-21
Training like hell, gear cleaning and packing starts this weekend. The family has disowned me due to all the elk talk in the house at this point, even my dog.

13-Aug-21
Busy busy, prepping for NM and AZ here. Just trying to get my head above water with fam/work/chores so I can feel good leaving for a few weeks!

But yeah A.D.D. in down time is tough...

13-Aug-21
If only there were elk in Ohio! one day I will make the drive west

13-Aug-21
The National Forrest I usually hunt is closed to all uses due to the fires last year. It's a huge closure that will displace a lot of hunters to the remaining open areas. I'm not too excited about competing with even more hunters in a new-to-me OTC spot. So, I'm less inspired about this year's elk hunt than I ever have been. In fact, I'm considering heading back down to Florida to chase tarpon in September/October, instead.

Matt

13-Aug-21
I was just thinking the forum was pretty quiet too. I've been organizing gear and looking at maps for the past week. Going solo to an area I've never been, so I feel unprepared and a bit nervous. Seems like I was just in the mountains listening to bugles - hard to believe another year has gone by!

13-Aug-21
First year in a long while I won't be hunting elk. Best of luck to everyone who's going!

13-Aug-21
Trainin, tinkerin and shootin a lot. So excited I don't want to tell anybody cuz nobody I live with or work with knows what I'm doin.. I'm goin crazy.. Right there with you Jordan.

13-Aug-21
I'm in GGs boat. Every place in my LE unit that I know how to hunt is closed to all uses. But CPW still gave out the same number of tags. Everybody will be crammed into a small part of the unit so I'm having to start from scratch, knowing all my scouting will likely be tossed out the window when the season starts. Hard to get excited with all the uncertainty. This is the first time in my 47 years of elk bowhunting that I don't have a plan, don't really know where I'll be hunting on day one. But I'll be hunting!

13-Aug-21
Lou don't you just shoot them on your way home from all your best laid plans anyway?

13-Aug-21
I have trouble getting excited to bowhunt when it's 90 degrees out

Antelope opens Sunday and I haven't broadlead shot my bow yet

13-Aug-21
I have a damn good muzzleloader elk tag, have found some good bulls, and am still not all that excited yet and I’m not really sure why. I’m sure I’ll get more into it as the season gets closer.

13-Aug-21
So much to do with so little time....

13-Aug-21
I’m doing nothing in prep for my Sept 20 elk hunt in NM, except, workout 5-6 days a week, shoot my bow daily, practice elk calling while driving, going through my packing list couple times a day, fletching arrow for my son that will be on the hunt. Hell yes, I’m excited.

13-Aug-21
Not to pee people off but when the biggest thread is about getting your covid shot kinda takes this place to a new low as far as I'm concerned. And if you want to say,well don't come here then, I understand that option.

13-Aug-21
Was unable to get my usual Idaho OTC elk tag for the first time in 9 years. Turned into a shit show with their website "random draw to enter the website" and the tag quota cut in half for NR's. Point creep in WY shutdown those hopes as well. Going to try antelope hunting instead and give deer hunting a little extra effort as well. Excited to try something totally different.

13-Aug-21
Heat, drought, and fires all over the place. It's hard to get too excited when everyplace is so smokey.

13-Aug-21
Got F___KD on our Alaska moose trip. Didnt apply for elk tags because of the moose trip. No elk tag and i refuse to do OTC in CO. BUT, im stoked about going back to Nebraska in September for whitetails! My favorite time to go after them, still in bachelor groups. Gave it up and have been going in november due to always elk hunting. At least i will still be heading west in September!

13-Aug-21
Just looking through things in general I think it's safe to say that the pandemic, political climate, economic climate and environmental climate this year has sucked all the fun out of a lot of people....not me though, I'm still fun AF! :)

13-Aug-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Here’s some to look at. Nothing big, but cool nonetheless.

13-Aug-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo

13-Aug-21
It is just myself and my old hunting partner Bob (Shaft) this year! Almost everything is "staged "and ready to go in my basement sunroom for our full 2 week hunt. I could leave tomorrow if I had to. My 2 identical bows are both tuned up and shooting great. My hunting arrows are assembled with broadheads and are in the cases. I have my OnX off line maps reconfigured and saved. I turn 57 next Friday! Got the doc appointments set to get my annual knee cortisone shots. I have 5 pounds of fat left to loose! Just need to narrow down date to leave. Want to go early, but not if it is 80 degrees! More relaxed and prepared for this hunt than ever before - yet I am fired up more than ever! Life is good!

13-Aug-21
By the way, I am open to adding a partner this year if anyone is also drawn into Unit 20 for elk, deer, or bear and wants to join. Just PM me with your interest, dates, and contact info. I am hunting 9/2 to 9/10 but will prolly take 12-24 hour break somewhere around labor day/day after.

13-Aug-21
Thanks for thread Jordan... bout damn time. I'm excited to have a tag for the first time in 6 years. I'm getting ready for the chase by hiking, biking and shooting. 18days...

13-Aug-21

JakeBrake's embedded Photo
JakeBrake's embedded Photo
I’m excited :)

13-Aug-21
Hey joehunter, I been at this a long time. I'm pretty sure you forgot something!

13-Aug-21
I think the anticipation is there but it seems the forum has been consumed by the covid shot thread and the same guys pissing on it everyday.Its cast a pall on the forum I'd like to see it closed.

13-Aug-21
I'm getting excited, 4 more days of work them I'm off for 2 months! Bow is tuned-ish, final bh tune will be the day b4 I leave, legs are ready, cant wait!

13-Aug-21
Wish I was going this year. Have to sit it out due to family commitment. Hopefully next year.

13-Aug-21
About now sure wish Bigdan and Cityhunter were around…… Rip great elk slayers !!

Jaq you get bored come find me…. Will have beer on ice !

13-Aug-21
Whocares - yea I think of things everyday as I review my list. Today I added a Fire extinguisher since Type 1 fire restrictions call for one for many activities. My list is pretty detailed after doing it since 1993. One year I left my calls in the fridge door at home and had to make a side trip to Gander Mt. outside of Chicago to buy some. I am sure I will forget something, but nothing that can not hunt with out! Good luck to all as they prepare. Have fun with it!

13-Aug-21

Blood's embedded Photo
My son on the left and me on the right.
Blood's embedded Photo
My son on the left and me on the right.
I don’t think we all get excited till September hits. Training a lot and have been shooting a lot of 3D shoots and am attending TAC right now in VT.

13-Aug-21
Moose hunt got obliterated, so...OTC Colorado, possibly solo.

Got some solid intel, from a very gracious Bowsiter!

It'll be an adventure, no matter how it plays out! Hard to not be a little excited, about going Archery Elk Hunting!

14-Aug-21
Kool pic BigJ ~~ looks lush and green!

I start with the opener here in my home state on 08/21 up on the Any Bull North Slope unit ( won't arrow a cow as I have the Multi-Season Bull tag)

Then Wyo, then Az then......HaHa geez!

5 elk tags in 3 states this year and my Whitetail buck tag........whew------->

Hunt safe and smart fella's/ladies

Good luck, Robb

14-Aug-21
Yup, getting fired up.

Slowed down, but not stopped! Back surgery 3 months ago, then knee surgery 3 weeks ago. Finally started working out (if you call walking, riding bike working out) 2 weeks ago. Bad out of shape, bit still going to CO first 2 weeks of September archery elk, then to ID early October for rifle elk.

14-Aug-21

bowhunt's embedded Photo
Daughter at the 3D course a few weeks ago. She loves it!
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Daughter at the 3D course a few weeks ago. She loves it!
bowhunt's embedded Photo
7.5 mile hike after work last week west side of Mt Hood
bowhunt's embedded Photo
7.5 mile hike after work last week west side of Mt Hood
First year I can remember in the last 21 years not being jacked out of my mind all spring and summer for archery elk season. I was just talking to a few of my bowhunter friends about this last week, and they were feeling the same way. I’m still exited, and think about the upcoming season daily all year, just the intensity seems off this year, and last year as well.

I think several guys above posted about Covid, and all the politics everywhere probably being a factor. If you live in a city this would be very true in my opinion.

A factor for me has been a new baby July 11 2020! She is a ton of fun, but definitely changes things a little bit. She goes shooting at the archery course with me probably once a week on average since she was 3 weeks old.

We hike a ton all the time also. We hiked over 500 miles her first year. I’ve been really lucky she really enjoys all the outdoor stuff I do, and we spend tons of time together doing that stuff.

All in all doing lots of the same stuff as usual, my normal excitement level came back a couple couple weeks ago. Negotiated hunting trips Friday mornings to monday evenings each weekend with the wife. Also a long trip from September 11 to the 19th :)

Last year when the baby was two months old she was off work, wasn’t sure exactly what elk season was going to be like this year with her being back to work full time.

Is it elk season yet?!!!!

14-Aug-21

Just got back from my last scouting/cam check trip before the opener. I will go in Sat. or Sun. before the 2nd to set up camp but that will be it.

Found a great spot I'd scouted several years ago for camp. Good sign in the area. Got at least one or two nice 6x6's but the most of the elk are 5x and 4x dinks this year. The biguns got kilt since 2017........ Prolly because I was dumb enough to post their pics. oh well.

This guy was right below my camp headed to the corner of the meadow....a month ago. He was followed by a not as nice 6x and a dink about 10 mins later.

14-Aug-21
What’s up fellas? I’ve been mostly absent from the forum for a while just due to insane amounts of work (pros and cons) and working on Landscape/ remodel projects at home (honey do’s). Was thinking the same thing Jordan. Usually more elk talk chatter this time of year. I’m super excited just to be gone for the 10/12 I’ve set aside. Away from the all the BS this world has thrown at us these last couple of years. I’m headed back to one of my old haunts this year in a semi easy to draw LE unit. It’s been about 4 years since I’ve been there. Myself, my 3 sons ages 19,16,14 and a great friend from Utah will definitely find some trouble to be had! ;-) Good luck to everyone headed out.

14-Aug-21
^^^this too

Every business owner I know excluding restraunt/bar owners has had breaking months several times between the last half of 2020 and first half of 2021.

People are busy as hell!

14-Aug-21

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
I just spent the past hour sharpening this knife, which I inherited in 2016 when my dad passed. Pictures are before it was sharpened. It’s been in my gun safe since and I was finally able to bring it out and get a good shaving sharp edge on it with the Gatco. I’ve been putting this off for a few years but it’s time to put it to good use. I love retirement!!!

The knife's an old model 20 B Ruana Skinner that would have been made from 1944 - 1962 in Bonner Montana with the blade being from a Studebaker leaf spring. This per Mike Hangas at Ruana knives. My dad used to tell us the blade was made from a saw mill blade from the Bonner saw mill. That would’ve been cool, too.

In any case I’ll pack the heavy beast around the mountains of Montana in a month and hope I can test her out and see how the Studebaker leaf spring holds an edge. Once she does the job she’ll go back in the gun safe to be passed on to nephew. I’m pretty damn excited to put this blade to use and it gives me a little extra motivation to get it done.

14-Aug-21
Was getting excited until about a week ago when my ankle swelled up and I can't walk on it. Happened a day after I was in the bucket truck fixing pole lights. Dr. took x-rays and it is not broken. Think I might haver a staph infection in it so they put me on antibiotics. If it doesn't get better by the 20th I will turn my tag in so it can go to someone who can use it.

15-Aug-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Let’s just say it’s a slow burn to excitement - all OTC

15-Aug-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

15-Aug-21
ohh yeah!!

15-Aug-21
No excitement here. Likely will be turning an AZ 5BS tag back in.

15-Aug-21
Very Nice Brad!!

15-Aug-21
Brad some nice bulls!

15-Aug-21
Didn’t draw so no excitement this year. Consider OTC Colorado but decided to pass. Still doing our annual western KS mule deer hunt on family land. Should be fun.

15-Aug-21
Second year in a row I won’t be elk hunting. Last year was in fire academy at my new department, this year I’ll be in Alaska. Guess it helps to put a couple more points away but I will be excited to get back into the elk woods next year.

15-Aug-21
Brad your not helping the “overcrowding” issue in OTC Colorado! ;-)

15-Aug-21
Well, now I'm excited. A Bowsiter graciously suggested a spot in my LE unit where I'd never been before, I hiked one ridge, and found mega fresh elk sign. Like, trails rototilled up fresh tracks from today, tons of previous year rubs. Going back over for a couple more days of low-impact scouting next week.

Thank you so much for your generosity! Hopefully I can repay you someday!

15-Aug-21
NICE!!!

16-Aug-21
I wish some Bowsiter would give me a suggestion on where to hunt

16-Aug-21
Ready for 14 days. 28 chili mac !

16-Aug-21
Brad, I think you should hunt right where you have that camera at the edge of the old clearcut near the road!

17-Aug-21
Snuffer I hope you have your own tent:)

• Sitka Gear