Slate 25-Oct-21
Slate 25-Oct-21
RIT 27-Oct-21
RIT 27-Oct-21
RIT 27-Oct-21
RIT 27-Oct-21
RIT 27-Oct-21
15-Aug-21
What do you guys do and anything specific you’ve found to work better than something else? Just curious

15-Aug-21
I’ve had good success suspending a 2’-3’ piece of grapevine with paracord or something similar. I like to have the bottom of the vine suspended about 4’-4.5’ off the ground. Seems to work better if it can swing somewhat freely. I’ve made a pile of them to see which spots are more attractive than others. I’ll take down the ones that don’t produce.

If you’re gonna pee in the scrape, stay away from the asparagus ;-)

15-Aug-21
Where I hunt on the western ks prairie there are almost no trees. I find and cut a 3-5” diameter tree, that has a long trunk that can be set in a hole in the ground, and still have 8’ or more above ground with some 1” or so diameter branches 5’ or so above ground. I place that tree in an open area where I have a ground blind. Take a rake and scrape the ground bare under a branch. Piss in the bare ground area. I get a lot of action at these scrapes, but almost all is at night.

15-Aug-21
Same as t-roy. Grape vine is the bomb

16-Aug-21
Grapevine x3

16-Aug-21
I nail a 6-7' fresh-cut tree branch to the base of a decent sized elm tree along an old snowmobile trail trail right in front on my stand. The branch is about 5-6' off the ground and every buck that cruises up and down that trail stops to work it over. I don't add any scent to the scrape but I do clear out the leaves and debris under the branch and let the bucks take it over.. It works awesome and I chuckle at the bucks working the branch over not knowing I'm within 20 yds of them. Definitely give it a try this fall.

17-Aug-21
Thanks guys. I usually do just a vine and leave it about 5’ up butmy buddys talking me into doing it 4’ to make it more of a community’s scrape and the Fawns will get involved with the does. Which makes sense. More does frequenting the chance of bucks sticking around should be greater no?

18-Aug-21
I've tried everything, grape vines are the best. I use a 5' or more section, if I can, let it dangle, and hang it waste high, 3'ish. I have found that when the leaves drop there is less weight on the over hanging branches and you may gain a foot. If not, 3' still works awesome. Be sure to put by a stand, and right on a trail or within a couple of yards. Highly visible, near an active trail and you are good to go! BC

18-Aug-21
Same as T-roy.

18-Aug-21
Large diameter hemp rope works great. 3/4" or 1" if you can find it. 4' off the ground. Add a little smokeys pre-orbital gland deer lure on it to get started, and the deer take it over it no time. If i'm making a scrape on the fly during season to come back and see what kind of tracks are in it, i'll go ahead and pee in it myself. Mixed results with this though. Sometimes they're on it quick, sometimes its full of leaves and hasn't been touched.

28-Sep-21
Cedar limb that is about the size of my thumb hanging vertically about belly button height. Smokey’s preorbital and rake out the scrape the size of your truck hood. I’m confident I’m getting a trail camera pic of every buck in the area this way.

28-Sep-21
I have best luck with scotch pine limb

29-Sep-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Does are hitting them too
Does are hitting them too
Last night at my mock scrape in Ohio. I use grapevines too. They are fantastic. Only one in 6 is not getting action.

29-Sep-21

CatSlamfromNY's embedded Photo
CatSlamfromNY's embedded Photo
I kicked up some dirt under a branch in October and then I piss in it. Once one buck comes, they all start coming.

29-Sep-21
I started a couple and have been getting some decent action. Beech branch about waist high. Rack rub on branch originally and pissed in it. They’ve been keepin it fresh from there!

29-Sep-21
Never done it before but I will set up a few very soon. Good information!

29-Sep-21

Jon Simoneau's embedded Photo
Jon Simoneau's embedded Photo
I shot this buck past season.

30-Sep-21
Taking a poll, I'm exactly like t-roy, bottom of grapevine or rope 48" - 53" from the ground... How high for you guys for best results?

30-Sep-21
Been doing it for years and yes it works. I don't kill giant deer , but respectable deer for my area. I picked up a couple of tricks on this post -thanks!

30-Sep-21

Jack Whitmrie jr's embedded Photo
Here is a buck coming to a mock scrape , I shot this one.

30-Sep-21

Smaller buck working a scrape

30-Sep-21

mooseslayer's embedded Photo
Zbone, grapevine about 40" to 48" above scrape, so does and fawns can mess with it as well.

30-Sep-21
I like them about belly button height.

30-Sep-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I like to put them a bit higher than that. My thinking for that is, the bucks are less apt to get it tangled up in their antlers and tear it down. I’m not overly concerned about the fawns reaching it, plus the does will still work it, even if they have to stand on their hind legs sometimes. Here’s a pic taken from one of a bunch of videos I’ve gotten, of the does rearing up to work the vine. Sorry for the crappy pic. You can see the bottom of the vine, just under her chin.

I never had much luck with the rope and Smokey’s lure, for some reason. Several guys (including the Wensels, I believe) have had good success using it, just didn’t work very good for me.

30-Sep-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
Pic from a trailcam video.
t-roy's embedded Photo
Pic from a trailcam video.

01-Oct-21

woodguy65's embedded Photo
Got about 6 mingling around a mock.

01-Oct-21

01-Oct-21

I put them about titty height

01-Oct-21

Location is key, I use oak branches typically along with some pine if I have it. Sometimes I use grape vine most of time I dont.

01-Oct-21

All my trail cams are set up on my mocks - get several thousand pics a year.

01-Oct-21

Cedar post, oak branches, scrape up the post, hoe the area to bare dirt below and piss in it.

01-Oct-21

01-Oct-21

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
I've added a few on our property. This natural one is used by bucks and does.

01-Oct-21
I shot this buck past season.

06-Oct-21
Correct placement - in a place that looks "scrappy" like where a deer would scrape. Almost any scent works, even peeing in it.

06-Oct-21
Ya... they go nuts for vines.

In my experience I'd say its best to have the end of the over head branch or vine(s) at a height that is above their back line. So between 4-5' is good. Deer like to reach for stuff.

08-Oct-21

goyt's embedded Photo
goyt's embedded Photo
I put up this grape vine, scraped under it and put Smokey's preorbital on it. The deer were using it. Then they decided to move 8' which is fine with me. Go figure!

08-Oct-21
where can you get grape vines from? I don't have any grapes. Do they have to be fresh cut? And why grape? I assume they smell better?

08-Oct-21
Hancock……I see you’re in Illinois. Most likely there are lots of wild grapes growing in lots of timbered places near you, I’d bet. Not sure if they’re more attractive than other stuff either, to tell you the truth!

08-Oct-21
Thanks T-roy.

09-Oct-21
Hancock - Im in Illinois as well. You do NOT need grape vines look at the pics I posted none have grape vines. However, they a (grapevines) are all over Illinois in the woods. I have used them, Ive also used, paracord, rope dangling from the branches, and experimented with all types of branches. Personally - I like oak branches/leaves the best, if pine around Ill throw some in there too. Its really more about placement of the mock, IMHO.

10-Oct-21
Good thread

21-Oct-21
I was able to get three 8' vines from a local vineyard. I'll put the 48" off the ground. Ruts going to start up pretty hard in about 2weeks. I hope i'm not too late.

21-Oct-21
You’ll be fine. Good luck!

21-Oct-21
You’ll be good. I’d go a little lower let the does get it too. My community scrapes get hit more often than the higher ones the bucks tend to only use

22-Oct-21
I usually set up a few under low lying limbs (4-5 ft) along travel routes. I’ve never heard of the grapevine trick, but there are a few muscadines in the area so I’ll sacrifice a vine or two and give it a try.

22-Oct-21

BowSniper's embedded Photo
BowSniper's embedded Photo
I've done a lot of mock scrapes, but this is the first time I tried the hanging grape vine trick. We shall see....

(* note I really miss the old "Lick-N-Stick" spray for overhead branch!)

22-Oct-21
Where the hell do you get grape vines! LOL!

22-Oct-21
Bunch of vines in the woods by me. I tend to use beach branches. They hold their leaves and stay green for a longtime after they’ve been broken off the tree. That’s what I’ve had the best luck with in my area. And also some forehead gland scent on the branch. I hung one on the 17th and on the 18th I had 2 good buck, 2 small ones and 3 does all hit the scrape between the 18th and 19th.

22-Oct-21

Another scrape using a grape vine.

22-Oct-21
Artificial lures, or just peeing in a mock scrape?

22-Oct-21
Don pee and forehead gland scent.

24-Oct-21
I stopped buying any and pee or gland related scent products over 10 years ago and went strictly with my own if I do at all - forget half the time it seems. Over that time period I've archived hundreds of videos and who knows how many pictures of bucks, many mature bucks (yes I said mature NY bucks), utilizing the mock scrapes with no indication that they're disturbed by my pee or the mock scrape. Sometimes if they show up within a day or so they are cautious of any scent that may have been left behind ... but they usually get over that in a hurry once the young and dumb bucks start going to town on the scrape. Just having an overhead branch or vine is key. Working the ground beneath is optional. Cut vegetation down low where you intend them to scrape, if its tall weedy stuff. Adding a lure or scent attractant is last priority for me when setting the stage for them. Provided the scrape is constructed in a logical location.

24-Oct-21
I use a 4' piece of bamboo hung by paracord. The deer seem to like it. I also urinate in my mock scrapes, the deer dont seem to know the difference. I do know the older bucks will damn near dig a hole to get to fresh dirt to pee in

24-Oct-21

Latest buck in mock scrape with grape vine.

25-Oct-21

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
My buddy uses some Indian voodoo he calls a witch broom lol it works

25-Oct-21

27-Oct-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo
Grapevines are good because they last. What I have found is that location is the key. I put mine out in June and put them at almost every stand I put in. All deer use scrapes to communicate. This particular scrape is a really thick vine and it is about a foot off the ground. Every deer that passes I get a half-dozen photos of deer rubbing on the vine. No need to piss in a scrape unless that’s your thing. I have never done it and deer hammer my vines all the same.

27-Oct-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo

27-Oct-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo

27-Oct-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo

27-Oct-21

RIT's embedded Photo
RIT's embedded Photo