Kurt 25-Aug-21
ki-ke 25-Aug-21
Paul@thefort 25-Aug-21
Paul@thefort 25-Aug-21
Ambush 25-Aug-21
Paul@thefort 26-Aug-21
Paul@thefort 30-Aug-21
17-Aug-21
I promised myself that I would never again spend all day in a very very hot (temp 95-100 degrees) pop up blind while hunting for Pronghorn. I lied! I will not go to Hell because I lied, because spending all day in that blind, was like being in Hell.

17-Aug-21
See any Paul?

17-Aug-21
Okay Paul tell us the rest of the story with pictures.

17-Aug-21
When I arrived at the blind in the very early am, ie, O Dark thirty, the temp was a cool 52 degrees but based on the prior day's temperature, things would be heating up. Little did I know just how much and to what degree. Western Colorado had been going through a drought and when I questioned the rancher about using the same water dugout I had used years before, he stated, " No water in that dug out and that surrounding area of the ranch,." and we would just have to figure it out when I arrived in a few weeks.

Well luck was with me as there was a down- pour of rain two weeks ago and a different dugout had water. Not the place I had wanted to hunt but given the situation, a dug out with water was a rare commodity this season.

Yep, it was going to be hot this opening day but I had high expectations as usual even though there seemed to be less buck Pronghorns in the area as I witnessed, arriving two days prior to the season and scouted around some.

17-Aug-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The sun had just come up and these does and fawns arrive at 25 yards for a much needed drink. 7 am
The sun had just come up and these does and fawns arrive at 25 yards for a much needed drink. 7 am
an hour later, mule deer doe and fawn. Fawn looks up and sees more Pronghorn coming in.
an hour later, mule deer doe and fawn. Fawn looks up and sees more Pronghorn coming in.
I was try to place horns on them but to no avail. At least I was having action. Warming up, I took off my black hoody.
I was try to place horns on them but to no avail. At least I was having action. Warming up, I took off my black hoody.
9:30, three more does looking to moisten their mouths.
9:30, three more does looking to moisten their mouths.

17-Aug-21

10:30, this lone doe at 20 yards.
10:30, this lone doe at 20 yards.
11: 14 these three show up and head west to bed like the others had done. I unzipped the lower half of my light weight pants as the temp was nearing 80 degrees. Lots of water to drink if needed.
11: 14 these three show up and head west to bed like the others had done. I unzipped the lower half of my light weight pants as the temp was nearing 80 degrees. Lots of water to drink if needed.

17-Aug-21
Then the gates of hell opened up as the temp continued to rise. With no action for the next four hours, I was thinking about heading back to camp for a break and then return at 4 pm. Paul, NO! stick it out as one never knows when the action might come. I poured water over my head and took off my other shirt to cool down, but that did not help much. Maybe if I laid down in the blind a took a short nap. Sounds good. Near 95 degrees. I looked outside for the "guy" with a forked stick, and red horns and tail.

17-Aug-21

A few hours later. Wait, I see a buck on the skyline with does. Maybe he will come to water. Fingers crossed. Does heading this way.
A few hours later. Wait, I see a buck on the skyline with does. Maybe he will come to water. Fingers crossed. Does heading this way.
It took this group almost an hour to arrive at the water from where the buck was
It took this group almost an hour to arrive at the water from where the buck was
the buck stood his ground waiting for the does to water.
the buck stood his ground waiting for the does to water.
they drank and then moved off to the east heading for the pastures below.
they drank and then moved off to the east heading for the pastures below.
2 pm I see some action far to the west. A doe and fawn. Well at least they were on the move still. Three PM, more movement to the west, two doe and fawns and WHAT, a buck!!!!!!!!!!

17-Aug-21

the buck is on the move and coming closer at 200 yards
the buck is on the move and coming closer at 200 yards
closer still at 75 yards and closing.
closer still at 75 yards and closing.

17-Aug-21
Time to pick up the bow and put the camera down. The buck is now at 50 yards. He stops and makes a scrape, and then stretches' out and pisses in it. 40 yards away.

He heads for the water, 30 yards across the pond. Head down he drinks. My bow feels friendly in my hand. He turns to the right presenting me with a good shot. I draw back focusing on the spot with the one pin sight. Slight tension on the release.

ARROW ON ITS WAY!

17-Aug-21
Thanks for sharing! Nice Paul, working up the excitement and --------------

17-Aug-21

Arrow on its way. WACK!
Arrow on its way. WACK!
IMPACT! SPINE HIT.
IMPACT! SPINE HIT.
No tracking
No tracking

17-Aug-21

Good hunt, good eats. And I survived the heat and the devil. My best, Paul
Good hunt, good eats. And I survived the heat and the devil. My best, Paul

17-Aug-21
I really appreciate the FREEDOMS we have here in the United States of America. YEP, I feel the pain, per recent happenings in the Middle East. Paul

17-Aug-21
Great story as always! Congratulations

17-Aug-21
Nice lope. It’s not easy sitting in an oven in August. Congrats Paul!

17-Aug-21
Thanks for sharing Paul! Congratulations

17-Aug-21
Congrats !

17-Aug-21
Congratulations Paul! Beautiful pronghorn and the best eating there is in my opinion. I'm doing things a little backwards this year, elk first and then pronghorn during the rut mid-September. Well done sir!

17-Aug-21
Way to stick it out Paul... congratulations.

17-Aug-21
Great story as always! Congratulations

17-Aug-21
Amazing adventure. Thank you for taking us along. You are a true inspiration to us all. Hunter

17-Aug-21
Congratulations on a nice pronghorn!

17-Aug-21
Good job sitting in that blind like a a prisoner of war!

17-Aug-21
great hunt. congrats!!!!

17-Aug-21
Nice job Paul and a nice buck to boot. You had a lot of action.

Looks to be great year for waterhole hunting. A couple friends got theirs too in the last 2 days sitting water.

17-Aug-21
Congrats Paul, great story writing as always! I'm heading to your state for my first elk hunt two weeks from today. Hopefully it's a bit cooler in the mountains!

17-Aug-21
Good job Paul!

17-Aug-21
Greta job Paul, counting the days…

17-Aug-21
Congrats and thanks for taking the time to share the story!!

17-Aug-21
Back from the gates of Hell, with a fine Trophy!

You are unstoppable, Paul !

17-Aug-21
I’m betting Beelzbub has heard of your reputation, and didn’t want mess with you, Paul!

Congrats on a beautiful speed goat!

17-Aug-21
Beautiful goat, and great story and pictures! Thanks for sharing another of your adventures Paul!

17-Aug-21

Hey Troy, and I was using a 100 gr, Rage 2 bld hypodermic. While there is surely something wonderful about the elk woods, the flat prairie where the "antelope" roam, draws me to them also. my best, Paul

17-Aug-21
Nice work!! Congrats Paul!

17-Aug-21
Congratulations Paul, beautiful pictures and nice story.

17-Aug-21
Glad you listened to that "inner-voice" talking to you !! Nice buck and well worth the wait. Congrats !!

17-Aug-21
Great job as always Paul! Congrats!

17-Aug-21
Awesome

17-Aug-21
Congrats Paul. Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.

17-Aug-21
Awesome Paul!!

18-Aug-21
Thanks for all of the kind remarks concerning this hunt. Just finished processing the meat into steaks, backstraps, roasts, and hamburger. Fun hunt but over much to quickly but then.....................................................final result was good :). Now elk season starts in 15 days. my best, Paul

18-Aug-21
Congratulations!! Thanks for taking us along.

18-Aug-21
Cool Hand Luke hasn't got anything on you, another succesful day in the box. "Shakin the tree boss"

Congrats Paul.

18-Aug-21
Now that’s what I’m talking about !

18-Aug-21
Thanks for sharing, nice pronghorn!

18-Aug-21
Congrats Paul!

19-Aug-21
Congrats Paul! Thanks for sharing!

19-Aug-21
Excellent work Paul, looking forward to following your elk pursuit this season. Best wishes!

19-Aug-21
Paul - thanks for the recap. Sitting in a blind in 90+ degree heat has zero appeal to me. With that said, I enjoyed your recap. Looking forward to your elk recap soon. Shoot straight.

19-Aug-21
Great job buddy.

19-Aug-21
Good deal Paul

19-Aug-21
Great Paul!! Now elk with a Traditional Bow Cannot wait to read your story. Good luck

19-Aug-21
Wow, way to hang in there in that sweat box. Nice buck also.

19-Aug-21
Nice one Paul!

19-Aug-21
Congrats!! Thanks for always sharing your adventures.

19-Aug-21
Good going man. Thanks for the great recap Paul.

19-Aug-21
Congrats Paul!!!! Way to stick it out. And nice work on the frame by frame!

19-Aug-21
Great start to your season Paul! Congratulations!

19-Aug-21
Congrats Paul and great writeup and photos as per usual. Thanks for sharing!

I was sweating right there with you a few miles away, for 3 days. Lot's of pronghorn came in but the 'one' never presented a shot in range...yet. And yes, it was HOT. Hopefully I get to get back after them. Juggling an abundance of great tags in a couple states and work commitments is not a problem I am gonna complain about, just navigate and enjoy throughout the next few months from prairie to above treeline in a couple states.

19-Aug-21
Atta boy Paul! Kind of expected the outcome before reading the thread! Yes, my friend...you are somewhat predictable with bow in hand. That's a compliment for sure! Congrats!!!

19-Aug-21
Thanks Paul, these stories are for the the bow hunters that can only dream. Appreciate the note. Paul

22-Aug-21
Another awesome hunt man ! Sounds like the perfect year for sitting in the sweat box ! Glad you could tough it out lol insert eye roll !!!

22-Aug-21
Way to get it done Paul, as usual! Thanks for sharing as well. Great pics of the hunt!

22-Aug-21

Hey T.B.. correct, a good year to hunt water holes out West. I have hunted Pronghorn on the Colorado prairie, and sometimes, because of huge afternoon thunderstorms and rain, all of the ditches, ponds, dugouts, were full of water. One year I set up in a winter wheat field that had a lot of green Bine Weed growing, which the Pronghorns were feeding on, and did well setting up the blind near round bails. Interesting animal to hunt as their range is limited to North America and western US.

So how is the Whitetail hunting were you live in Canada, ie, Ontario Providence?

22-Aug-21
That's great Paul, glad to hear you had some payoff for enduring the torturous conditions. Congrats to you.

22-Aug-21
Great recap. Really enjoyed the pics. Great job Paul!

22-Aug-21
My sports psychologist advised me to avoid all antelope blinds after one experience many years ago. It saved my sanity.

Outstanding perseverance and a wonderful buck Paul. Nothing but honest admiration for you!

Kevin

22-Aug-21
Ontario Providence I didn't know you were french lol I live in southern part of ontario province not far from the US border in Detroit. Unfortunately the area I live there is not much public land and most of the good private is owned by anti hunters . Luckily I have talked one into allowing me on his 40 acres which is better than nothing. So I would say the whitetail hunting is average lol The reason I inserted eye roll is I would love to be sitting in a hot blind in September in Montana instead of at home in an air conditioned house but still can't drive to my buddies places out west or east for that matter ! So hey living through you so keep up the good work and hunts !!!

22-Aug-21
Not to Hijack your thread but I would say the best thing about Ontario was the moose hunts until they screwed that up ! Hunted moose with gun and then bow for over 20 years until you needed 10 guys in a group to get one tag !

23-Aug-21
TB, we hear your pain. I will try to keep you entertained. Paul

25-Aug-21
Hey Kevin, I do believe that if we would follow our doctors orders, we might be better off, but then would be have as much fun?

25-Aug-21
Paul, congrats on a nice buck and story. I would like you to teach me that spine shot so as not to have to track these critters. Good work !, Badbull

25-Aug-21
Congrats Paul! Is that your BOY knife?

25-Aug-21
Who I want to be when I grow up......

25-Aug-21

Hey Kurt, yes it is. A proud moment in my bow hunting career with the Colorado Bowhunters Association. The knife gets honored each time I bow kill an animal.

25-Aug-21
Badbull. Spine shot : here is how it is done. Draw back, pick a spot, close your eyes, and let the arrow fly. Works every time :).

25-Aug-21
The Latin title threw me off this thread. Thought it was about some foot rot disease.

But when I saw it was Paul, all that was left was to see what animal he decided to kill and then did.

As usual, great hunt, great animal and great story telling! Congrats!!

26-Aug-21
Hey Rod, back in Junior High, mid 1950s, we have to take a course in Latin. I know why, but WHY? Anyway, glad your curiosity got the better of you. Paul

30-Aug-21
ttt

• Sitka Gear