BULELK1 18-Aug-21
goelk 18-Aug-21
Hank_S 18-Aug-21
jcneng 18-Aug-21
GF 18-Aug-21
Ucsdryder 18-Aug-21
joehunter 18-Aug-21
17-Aug-21
Just putting a post up to remind myself and hopefully others not to make a mistake I have made at least four or five times through the years. I have a bull coming or possibly am blind calling but I set up in a kneeling position thinking it keeps me better hidden. Sounds like a great idea until a bull pops out at 15 yards but the brush between he and I covers his vitals or he comes from the side I wasn't anticipating and then busts when I try to reposition.

Unfortunately, I can think of at least 3 nice bulls, plus other animals I would have likely killed if I had been standing instead of kneeling and can't think of a single opportunity I missed because of standing. Standing with a tree or bush behind you usually provides you as much real cover as kneeling and gives you a much greater chance at actually taking the shot.

So, there is my unsolicited two cents worth of advice for the day. Good luck guys. We're getting close!

17-Aug-21
I agree. I do both depending on the setup and cover. More likely to stand when in the timber with vertical cover.

17-Aug-21
Have shot a bunch of elk. Can’t remember any that I was standing for…

17-Aug-21
I’ve shot most of my elk from a kneeling position. I feel like they tend to look over me if at close range, where standing puts my face at eye level with them, making it easier to get picked off. This has been my experience. Your results may vary.....

17-Aug-21
I shot my elk last year from a standing position, out in the open, mostly because Shug was standing between me and the elk. If I was kneeling, my upper cam would have likely nut punched him and caused me to miss.....

17-Aug-21
I’ve shot my share of elk kneeling. I can shoot further in the thick stuff by not standing - a lot less limbs down low.

17-Aug-21
The bigger mistake I see people do is stand BEHIND a tree

17-Aug-21
Cnelk, very true, don’t stand “behind” cover.

17-Aug-21
^^^^THAT! There are times when kneeling is the best option, just like there are times when standing is the best option. Let any obstacles determine which is best and pick your shooting lanes BEFORE the elk comes in…and break up your outline in front of a tree, bush, etc, not behind it!

17-Aug-21
I've killed them both ways, but many times, wished I had been standing instead of kneeling...good advice, if you CAN stand.

17-Aug-21
Had a bull coming in and the shooter was kneeling. could have shot it from either position when it stopped, but he couldn't get his bow drawn because he had coveralls on. He didn't have enough slip in his clothes because of the pinch of the material at his knees and the ground. Lesson learned.

17-Aug-21
90% standing 10% kneeling. I'm more versatile standing. At 5'7" it's like kneeling to some here! (grin)

ElkNut

17-Aug-21
I’ve never shot an elk while kneeling. Always standing so I can shift quickly and easily if I need to.

17-Aug-21
Yes there are some situations where kneeling is a good thing. However, I've found more times than not, I've ended up wishing I were on my feet. As for elk being eyeball to eyeball with you, that's where it really gets fun! Seriously, I've never seen it make a difference. I've been spotted while lying on the ground and I've been missed while standing upright without much cover. I think it depends more on if they have nailed down where the calls are coming from and/or are suspicious coming in.

17-Aug-21
Am I the only one that expected this was a thread about the purple haired soccer player.

17-Aug-21
I thought it was about that football player for the 49ers. Can't seem to remember his name.

17-Aug-21
I've shot a couple while kneeling and one while sitting trying to hide in the sagebrush but probably 90% have been shot while standing. I prefer to stand and feel it's easier to move into the right position at the last second if necessary. I'd much rather drop to my knees from a standing position to get a shot if I had to than try to stand up from a kneeling position to get the shot.

18-Aug-21
I’ve had to drop to one knee to get under a limb to kill one bull.

I prefer standing. I feel that I am more accurate from standing position.

18-Aug-21
I too like to shoot from a kneeling position.

I'm drawing as I come up from the squat kneel to full kneel and let an arrow release.

For sure on high country bucks above timberline.

Good luck, Robb

18-Aug-21
standing

18-Aug-21
Either: I've shot bulls standing or kneeling... whatever the situation calls for.

18-Aug-21
Typically my suggestion to any rookie would be stand in front of a tree. Don't kneel, keep your options open to move one way or the other.

18-Aug-21
With my knees, it’s quieter to start standing and sink down if need be.

Also, there are those who believe that seeing vertical movement going downward is less alarming than anything moving upward. Might be something to that.

Also, for me, standing leaves me looking UP at a bull, so there’s that.

But I practice shooting prone just in case.

18-Aug-21
Where I elk hunt if you kneel you’re shooting through grass. Stand in front of the biggest tree you can and don’t move. Kneeling is a good way to screw up a good thing.

18-Aug-21
All 9 of my crews bulls have been shot standing up. Hard to get up from kneeling with out lots of movement and effort. Much easier to move a few feet to get an open shot while standing. You can always drop down easier then you can get up. Even at full draw.

• Sitka Gear