Jaquomo 20-Aug-21
Rickm 20-Aug-21
Inshart 20-Aug-21
LC Archer 21-Aug-21
Bou'bound 24-Aug-21
LINK 24-Aug-21
Jaquomo 24-Aug-21
18-Aug-21
I posted this on another site, but also thought some here would like to see it.

I know some here wont shoot a lowly 3pt, but Im sure many would.

The question is - Is he legal? Does he have a 5" brow tine?

18-Aug-21
Yes he is legal

18-Aug-21
The bull is 4pt and legal

18-Aug-21
4 points total counting the brow tine, right?

So one is legal, but I definitely couldn't say those brow tines were 5 inches, for sure, on the 3 point. I wouldn't shoot.

18-Aug-21
opps my bad i was looking the pic before playing the video. I would pass on the three point Shoot the four point

18-Aug-21
Watch the video to see the 3-pt Brad is referring to.

18-Aug-21
I think his left brow is definitely 5"

18-Aug-21
Some of you need to practice counting antler points

18-Aug-21
Hard to call for me, looks a little short of 5 inches on that brow. Glad we don't have those restrictions on bull elk in most areas.

18-Aug-21
That is a legal bull....only 1 brow needs to be at least 5" and the animals left brow is over 5". The animals right brow is sketchy.

With my wonderful OTC experience in Colo that is a dead bull if given a chip shot.

18-Aug-21
I only see one bull? A 3pt with what will be at least a 5 inch brow and would be legal in a Co restricted area.

I need to stop using my phone for these pre hunt bowsite games.

18-Aug-21
Watch the video. There is a 5pt bull and 3pt bull feeding.

18-Aug-21
I’d say the left brow gets him killed.

18-Aug-21
I would pass. It’s easy to watch a video several times and guess that he is at least 5”. In real life I wouldn’t take the chance.

18-Aug-21
Yes, I’d shoot.

18-Aug-21
I would pass. It’s easy to watch a video several times and guess that he is at least 5”. In real life I wouldn’t take the chance.

18-Aug-21
I think if you read the law carefully it states 4 points or better on one side (OR) a five inch brow tine.

The bull in the picture is legal because he has 3 points, even though the brow tine might not be 5 inches long. In a previous post , my fumbling fingers hit the number 3 instead of 4. DUH!!!!!!!!

18-Aug-21
I think if you read the law carefully it states 3 points or better on one side (OR) a five inch brow tine.

The bull in the picture is legal because he has 3 points, even though the brow tine might not be 5 inches long.

LOL Bill, You gave me a good chuckle with that one.

18-Aug-21
From the video I wouldn’t shoot. Maybe 10/15 yards away in person might be a different story but hard to tell from the video.

18-Aug-21

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo

18-Aug-21
WW it is not 3 points on one side it is 4 points on one side.

Any one have a picture of a bull they have killed with a brow point 5'' or close to it. If I was betting I'd say that one is legal but would not bet a lot on it.

18-Aug-21
Legal by 3/8".

18-Aug-21
But only if you don't shave off the velvet...LOL

18-Aug-21
I wonder how many bull elk that have a brow tines are less than 5" . It seems that most I've seen would probably be over 5".

18-Aug-21
tasty legal bull.

18-Aug-21
So do you guys reckon those two are 1 1/2 YO or 2 1/2?

If I were of a mind to fill a tag and were given the choice, I’d take the 4-point just to prevent any discussion after the fact. At the beginning of a trip, both get a pass from me because nothing ruins a Hunting trip faster than punching a tag. Of course, God Willing, my brother would be there and I could let him take it. I owe him a pack-off anyway. ;)

Given a chance at only the 3-point, I think I might need more time to think about it than Reality would allow.

But in the last 4 days of a trip, the only reason to pass would be the Legality piece. So I would be looking VERY closely.

18-Aug-21
Spikes are generally all 1.5 year olds. Most 2.5 year olds will be a legal bull. This 3x3 is a 2.5 year old that is the odd bull that might not be legal.

18-Aug-21
He's legal...that left brow is over 5"

20-Aug-21

Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
Prairie Dog 's embedded Photo
A friend of mine got this one three or four years ago. The brow tine is 5 1/4. I think he grossed about 98 inches

20-Aug-21
In real time i wouldn't shoot. It would suck really bad if that left brow was 4 3/4s.

20-Aug-21
Here's a tougher question: if you shot that bull and his longest brow was 4 3/4", would you call the WCO and turn yourself in?

20-Aug-21
Check,

That 3 is toooo close for me. I passed a shot years ago on a spike with 10 inch brows. He was just ugly. Talked to the local warden who had seen him as well and he said it was the most unique bull he had seen and would shoot it over a 300 inches. Different strokes.

20-Aug-21
Too close to call for me as well, he gets a pass............ this year :)

21-Aug-21
Just like spearfishing, if the fish doesn’t obviously look big enough, he’s going to be short. Hard to call back that arrow or stretch a tine.

24-Aug-21

24-Aug-21
Jaq I call the highway patrol every time I break the speed limit so yes I’d turn myself in immediately. I will say someone’s measurement on a tine can vary more than a 1/4 from person to person. Do you measure on the top, bottom or side?Better just pass and wait on 8” brows to be sure.

24-Aug-21
Link, this is a little more than speeding, but I get it. I keep remembering Curt Wells' Bowhunter moose hunt when he and his guide misjudged a bull by an inch and he turned himself in to AK G&F. Got a fine, but I don't remember whether they confiscated the moose.

• Sitka Gear