Sitka Gear
Muzzy 125 not as good as it used to be??
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
WYOelker 19-Aug-21
WYOelker 19-Aug-21
DanaC 19-Aug-21
samman 19-Aug-21
Guardian hunter 19-Aug-21
spike78 19-Aug-21
tradi-doerr 19-Aug-21
Pat Lefemine 19-Aug-21
Helgermite 19-Aug-21
KY EyeBow 19-Aug-21
samman 19-Aug-21
LINK 19-Aug-21
Boatman71 19-Aug-21
joehunter 19-Aug-21
Swampbuck 30-Aug-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 30-Aug-21
Swampbuck 30-Aug-21
Swampbuck 30-Aug-21
Swampbuck 30-Aug-21
Jaquomo 30-Aug-21
wildwilderness 31-Aug-21
Jack Whitmrie jr 31-Aug-21
Pete In Fairbanks 31-Aug-21
4nolz@work 31-Aug-21
Jack Whitmrie jr 31-Aug-21
WYOelker 31-Aug-21
samman 31-Aug-21
Chief 31-Aug-21
Teeton 31-Aug-21
JL 31-Aug-21
Arrowflinger 11-Sep-21
Bou'bound 12-Sep-21
19-Aug-21
I have been shooting old Muzzy 125 3 blades for a long time. As I set up arrows this year I realize that my older heads are few. A year ago I bought some replacements, but when I got them out tonight, they did not feel or look the same. No print on the head base, the blades did not seat as well, the tips did not thread as well.

Over all it felt like machining quality has gone down hill.

Anyone else notice this? Or did I just get a 1 off batch?

19-Aug-21
I have been shooting old Muzzy 125 3 blades for a long time. As I set up arrows this year I realize that my older heads are few. A year ago I bought some replacements, but when I got them out tonight, they did not feel or look the same. No print on the head base, the blades did not seat as well, the tips did not thread as well.

Over all it felt like machining quality has gone down hill.

Anyone else notice this? Or did I just get a 1 off batch?

19-Aug-21
Muzzy got bought out several years ago, not sure how current quality is. You may have gotten some late originals or early 'new' maker heads.

19-Aug-21
Just ordered some today. Hopefully they are still good quality. I have enough older ones, just getting some extras.

19-Aug-21
My muzzy heads are inconsistent. Not even close to the ones of yesterday

19-Aug-21
I believe Rage bought them out so that explains the quality.

19-Aug-21
I have been using Muzzy broadheads since the mid 80's and still have some older Matador's and Phantoms. Since Feradyne Outdoors purchased Muzzy the quality of the broadheads has drop greatly. I see the same issues as some of you. Blades not fitting tight, the Trocar tip jumping threads and not able to tighten down, weaker feral's. Just no where near the same product the use to be. Had to move to a different broadhead. But the original owner's son(John Mussacchia Jr. is now building 100gr 3bld & 4bld heads again I'm going to order some. https://musacchiabroadhead.com

19-Aug-21
They were such a great brand. I worry about this continuous consolidation with many great products. The small firms, led by passionate bowhunters, are getting replaced by people who are great at maximizing profits even if the product quality is sub par. Everyone I know misses the way the industry used to operate where relationships were valued, quality was the priority, and an their word was always honored. Very few of those companies are left now but thankfully there’s still some.

My 2c

19-Aug-21
Pat L. +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19-Aug-21
Pat, you are describing corporate/consolidated America! It doesn't matter if you are talking broadheads, health care, banks, etc............................................

19-Aug-21
If the ones I pick up today are not good quality I will be buying some from here. https://musacchiabroadhead.com Thanks for the link. Looks like he got the original tooling to make the exact same heads. Plus a free hat.

19-Aug-21
“ … Now the court square's just a set of streets That the people go round but they seldom think 'Bout the little man that built this town Before the big money shut 'em down…”

Support the little man and not China, quality is often better anyways.

19-Aug-21
Feradyne who also owns Rage, Sure Loc and multiple other previous companies purchased Muzzy a few years back. I would expect their quality to go down hill from what it used to be as they cheapin up manufacturing process to widen profit margins. Its kind of a noticeable pattern over the last decade.

19-Aug-21
Buy some Wasp - made in USA - the Wasp Jak-Hammers I use are the exact same as they where 24 years ago when I bought my first pack. They make many great fixed blade heads too!

30-Aug-21
Just received my musacchia 3 blade 100gr heads today. I’ll let you know how they look and go together

30-Aug-21
Swampbuck please report back. I just looked them up and am interested in them!

30-Aug-21

Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Ok, thought I’d be putting them together. Show up in a nice sealed box. So me being me, I took them apart and back together again. Everything was smooth, blades shave hair right outta the box. Now I did think they were going to be like the original 3 blade 100gr. More like the MX-3, that I shoot anyway. Just slightly bigger and definitely engineered better, IMO.

Got a bunch of extras, John even autographed the brochure, lol. Only issue is I ordered spare hunting blades and ended up with practice blades. I emailed him about it, I’m sure it will be remedied.

30-Aug-21

30-Aug-21

30-Aug-21
I was Muzzy Pro Staffer #1. The heads the family made in the 80's were head and shoulders better than the crap made since Rage bought them out. I remember once John Jr. rejected an entire run of blades because they weren't up to his sharpness standards. He have me a few hundred for practice, gophers, whatever, and they were/are sharper than the factory blades today.

I wish him the best with his efforts to recreate the quality and balance of the originals.

31-Aug-21
I never thought they were good in the first place.. but I guess I’m too young to remember the other options at that time. Grateful thing have improved with many better options…

31-Aug-21
I won't buy any bowhunting equipment that is not made in the USA , including arrows. I'm not sure where Muzzys are now made but I shoot broadheads from a small company that has customer service you can rely on.

31-Aug-21
I was with John Mussachia when he stuck a prototype Muzzy 125 through a nice moose, circa 1983 or 84, in GMU 13, here in Alaska.

On one trip, he scribbled on the cabin wall: "Have no fear; Muzzy was here!"

Pete

31-Aug-21
Fact is you may not have Muzzys.Where purchased? Amazon?

31-Aug-21
"Have no fear; Muzzy was here!" - LOVE IT :)

31-Aug-21
I contacted John, said he plans to have a 125 head out soon as it is "in the works".

I have shot all my animals with the muzzy 125. They have always shot and felt good. Replacement blades were cheap. But the ones I picked up last were pretty horrible.

31-Aug-21
Assembled one of the 100 grain I got from Cabela's & it was definitely not as easy to get the blades in as the ones I bought several years ago. Fortunately I have plenty of the old ones to use this season.

31-Aug-21
Anyone remember the old 4-blade GLUE - ON Muzzy’s that went on the old BEEMAN shafts???? Those heads were without a doubt, the absolute toughest & easiest to tune heads I’ve ever shot. Killed everything from elk, boars, African game, & countless white tails with those heads - and absolutely blew - through everything they ever touched!!! I could kill myself when I think of throwing out dozens of them while moving several years ago, figuring I wouldn’t ever be using them again. Ever look - back at something & say “what the HELL was I thinking”????? Lol

31-Aug-21
My beloved rocket steelhead the last few years they were made were nowhere near as good as the originals.

One company that I think still makes heads just as good as 25 years ago is Wasp.

31-Aug-21
They could be Chinesium sourced these days???

11-Sep-21
I have used Thunderheads since the 80's. They are still the same great quality they have always been. Not taking anything away from Muzzy. It has always been a great quality head. But if I bought them today I would buy from John JR.

11-Sep-21
My buddy still uses them. He punched one through his elk last week. The head was junk afterwards but the bull only made it 80 yards up a steep hill So much for animals not running up hill when hit hard

12-Sep-21
They were never anything special. Magnus much better.

• Sitka Gear