JB 21-Aug-21
Buck Watcher 21-Aug-21
Juancho 21-Aug-21
wvfarrier 21-Aug-21
trophyhill 22-Aug-21
fubar racin 22-Aug-21
PECO 23-Aug-21
20-Aug-21
I know this doesn't apply to anyone here on bowsite, but what would you say is the percentage of people shooting a bow that is too high in draw weight for them?

20-Aug-21
Most.

20-Aug-21
Define too high???

20-Aug-21
Probably see it more in 'traditional' but if you can't draw *smoothly* and with minimum motion...

I see all kinds of archers draw by first offering their bow to the sky gods, then wrenching it down and wrestling it into shooting position. Amazed they're not popping tendons all over.

20-Aug-21
"Define too high???"

What DanaC said.

20-Aug-21
I think it's waaaayyyyy more common to see people with draw lengths that are too long than pulling too much weight........ all those short arm humans trying to be what they're not. :)

20-Aug-21
I won’t guess the % but I have two friends that pull way more than they should. Both strain to pull their bow, and are done practicing after 15-20 arrows. Their egos won’t allow them to lower their poundage. It’s rather pathetic.

20-Aug-21
"What DanaC said."

I'd agree with that sky god method as a common indication. However I know there are folks who do not draw that way and I would say they are still too heavy. I'd also agree with Dana it would be more common in trad.

20-Aug-21
Blood....good point. It may be those short arm folks (or long arm like me) have the wrong size bow??

20-Aug-21
75% or more.

20-Aug-21
I guess you're not pulling too much until you can't pull it back on an animal without getting busted or blowing out your shoulder otherwise.

20-Aug-21
If you cant shoot it all day without fatigue its to heavy IMO. If you want a bow thats too much get a PSE with the evolve cam, easiest bow to draw hands down

20-Aug-21
Blood and DanaC are spot on.

20-Aug-21
Blood for the win.

I’m not sure how anyone over bows their self with a compound bow. I know it happens but, it takes an effort or ego to do it. Add in a draw length too long and you have a consistency problem.

Trad bows the same. A lot of younger bow hunters can’t fully draw, anchor, and release a shot from a 40 pound trad bow. Much less a 60 pounder.

20-Aug-21
Draw weight must be a measuring device for young hunters. I introduced my nephew to bowhunting with an older 40# compound. He was extremely accurate with it and the first deer he saw within range he made a perfect shot. Pass thru and 20 yard blood trail. Then he takes his brother's bow (much newer bow and his brother doesn't hunt now) and starts cranking up the draw weight because the guys at school shoot heavier bows. He's been busted every time since. I'm tired of telling him that it's the wrestling match with his bow that is causing his problems.

20-Aug-21
"I’m not sure how anyone over bows their self with a compound bow. "

You have to pull _through_ that 'peak draw weight' to get to the let-down. With a recurve you have to pull _to_ (and hold) your peak weight.

Guys think that because they can hold 15 pounds it should be easy to pull through 75. Bzzzt!

With the efficiency of modern compounds, lighter arrows, with good sights and range finders I'm doggone if I understand why any wheelbow shooter is using anything that heavy.

20-Aug-21
I’m probably in the overbowed camp. But I have short draw so I like heavier poundage to make up for it. But I shoot pretty darn accurate so it works for me

20-Aug-21
On normal, non-dangerous game, if you can't smoothly draw and shoot with accuracy from a sitting position, you're shooting too much bow.

20-Aug-21
Long draws, over poundage, long shots, designer camo....Man! I hate bowhunters!

20-Aug-21
I think it's more a case of people not knowing how to draw a bow.

20-Aug-21
I also think that a test to being over pounded is if you draw your bow, then let it down. If you can't let it down nice and smooth, you most likely are over pounded.

20-Aug-21
Anyone that draws and does a 12 to 6 - 3 to 9, hell all over the clock before they get the string back

21-Aug-21
Oh yea, I would say a majority are over bowed. For some reason folks think they need 70 lbs to kill big game. 50 lb recurve / longbow will kill any animal in North America. However, it seems it's a moot point considering everyone is going the way of xbows. In a few years the airbow will reign.

21-Aug-21
Over bowed and too high a draw weight are completely different animals IMO.

Over bowed = too much draw weight for the task at hand. How many times do we need to shoot through an animal? Remember when 250 FPS was lightening fast for a bow and 300 was unheard of except for that one guy who was blowing up two to three bows each year?

Too much draw weight = the shooter can’t draw and let it down easily and it also impacts accuracy.

Most of use serious bow hunters shooting modern compounds are definitely over bowed but the draw weight is fine to manage and we can shoot plenty of arrows before tiring.

21-Aug-21
Ohiohunter, Chuck Adams took the first Grand Slam shooting maybe 235-240 fps. With range finders available nowadays, accuracy is not a function of arrow velocity or 'flat trajectory'.

Look at the top scores from an ASA shoot where arrow speed is limited to 280 fps.

Agree that too many guys are over-reliant on pro shops.

21-Aug-21
I don't agree with "Uncle Ted" about much, but I do agree that a 50lb. compound will shoot through 95% of all the animals in North America. I went to Africa with a 54lb. recurve and didn't have any problems. TMBB

21-Aug-21
"Too much draw weight = the shooter can’t draw and let it down easily and it also impacts accuracy."

I think the part there about not able to let down smoothly would be an indication of too high of a draw weight.....good point there. Letting down smoothly is just as important as drawing back smoothly. That often gets overlooked.

21-Aug-21
Factor in a lot of clothing and -10 to -20 temps. Definitely works better if you are not drawing too heavy.

21-Aug-21
Not me. For 25+ years I hunted with a an 80# bow. Then I when to 70# in 2005. The last 10 years or so I has been a 60#. Actually I checked it the other day and it's 57#. I still shoot a 70# regularly and then going to 60# seems like cheating. And every deer I shot with my 60# bow had a pass through.

21-Aug-21
I have seen a guy (YouTube video ) shoot a 120# recurve like it was 30#. Latter he shot a 134# like it was more like 45#. I used to shot with a 70 something year old guy that had an Oneida Eagle cranked to 105# . The common thing among those guys was how smooth and effortless they make it look. No contortions of any kind and a smooth draw pointing at the target throughout the draw, not sky drawing or going red face trying to overcome the bow. If you cannot do that ALL the time you are shooting too much bow. 50# of a modern compound is plenty for most animals. If you want or need more penetration go with a heavier arrow . I only shoot traditional and crossbow ( the two extremes on the sport ) , but if I cannot draw and let down smoothly I will not use that bow. I can only do that up to a 98# Black Widow recurve to drive a 1050 grains arrow at 185 fps. That is only for dangerous game.

21-Aug-21
I learned this lesson the hard way. I used Trad bows with rudiculously high draw weights 80+ for years and for no reason but ego. Now i am paying the price with tons of shoulder issues.

22-Aug-21
I don’t think I’m “over bowed”. And for the rest? To each his own

22-Aug-21
I’m likely over bowed by 90% of guys here’s standards but I shoot great groups out to as far as I care to try so I just write it off as others inability to draw what I do. Don’t get me wrong I know a 50# bow will do everything I do I’m just a believer that everyone should do what makes em happy and I’m sick of people telling me I’m doing something wrong when I shoot better than most that wanna talk.

23-Aug-21
I can't stand on my head and shoot a bow. I can't shoot a 100# draw weight recurve bow, not even going to try.

• Sitka Gear