tkjwonta 21-Aug-21
PGidley 21-Aug-21
DonVathome 21-Aug-21
BullBuster 21-Aug-21
Chief 419 21-Aug-21
DonVathome 23-Aug-21
elkmtngear 23-Aug-21
20-Aug-21
Anything out there yet? Anyway to use my cell phone with satellites to call or just text? I would pay a lot for that.......... Dropping $150 - $200 on a Sat phone and adding extra weight, and frustration of ordering, sending back etc. I would happily pay $10 a text! So is there anyway to use your cell phone through satellites????

20-Aug-21
I ask because I can use my cell with satellites for gps stuff..........

20-Aug-21
The inreach does that at least for text but it is a second device.

20-Aug-21
Zoleo, In-Reach

20-Aug-21
x2 on the InReach. You pair that with your cell phone or no, but either way it's only text and depending on your plan texts may be limited.

20-Aug-21
I'm out of the loop on the high tech stuff these days but I wouldn't be too surprised if the direct cell to satellite technology isn't already out there. It just may not be available for civilian use just yet. It would be a handy option when you're back in the bush.

20-Aug-21
I'm pretty sure that's part of the end game for the starlink system. Right now it's for stationary internet service but mobile internet is in the works. It only makes sense that a phone service of some type will be in the mix. The biggest obstacle will be antenna size.

21-Aug-21
My inreach keyboard sucks and new options utilize pairing via bluetooth with your cell keyboard and screen thru an app. Aftet watching you tube reviews I bought a somewear device made by somewear labs. Super simple.light and plans are about like inreach.

21-Aug-21
Pair your InReach with your cell phone via Bluetooth. Once I have my cellphone linked, I never take the InReach device out of my pack. Can text, GPS navigate, etc right from my phone.

21-Aug-21
AST Space Mobile. Won't be operational for a few years but it's in the works.

21-Aug-21
I do not want inreach - subscriptions defeat my goal of cheap pay only when used free otherwise. This is why I have a plb and not a spot or in reach. I ask this smae quetsion ever few years, surprised no one has developed something yet. First one too can charge a fortune.

21-Aug-21
I think in the mid 80s there was a company called PCS. Stood for something like Personal Communication Systems or Satellite. Their technology was going to blow away the cell market. Everybody getting signal to their phones directly from satellites. Suddenly they disappeared. Either bogus technology or AT&T bought them out and stuffed the technology in a box sitting at the bottom of the ocean.

21-Aug-21
I know you don’t want Inreach, but I’m not sure if you’re aware how it works. You can buy the Freedom Plan (approx. $67) for one month which gives unlimited texting and then suspend the plan after you get home from a trip. In addition, it gives your current position every time you send a text. That’s a handy feature and gives SAR a starting point should something go wrong. I’m sure someone is working on a cell to satellite link. It’s only a matter of time.

23-Aug-21
Thanks! BB I agree! Maybe burried somewhere!

23-Aug-21
Inreach mini takes up very little space and weight. Like Chief said, just enable it for September only, and you can unlimited text with your phone, for 67 bucks. Plus, you can allow whoever you want to find you on the map, every time you text. Any satellite option you find will not be much cheaper. The only other charge is an annual fee of around 25 bucks.

• Sitka Gear