Moultrie Products
KMS - Great Cape Buffalo Bowhunt (kinda)
International
Contributors to this thread:
Ken Moody Safaris 23-Aug-21
Zebrakiller 23-Aug-21
Potro 23-Aug-21
Buffalo1 23-Aug-21
drycreek 23-Aug-21
Bou'bound 23-Aug-21
23-Aug-21

Ken Moody Safaris's embedded Photo
I’ve just gotten back into reliable signal and can post about our last safari…2 Buffalo bowhunts and 1 plains game bowhunt. Blane joined us from Missouri and you can view his thread on his hunt under Africa 2021. Great guy and a pleasure to have in camp. Joining him were two Texas bowhunters, Rob and Dane, both after buffalo…We were hunting in the North West where I have a few buff on quota. As walk and stalk is our preferred method of hunting buffalo, both of the guys hit the bush early the next day and got into buff within a few hours. After some blown stalks, they returned to camp happy for the opportunities. Day two saw more of the same but on day three both got their bulls, albeit after some tracking and gun play…Dane arrowed his buffalo in the evening of day two and after hearing no death bellow, he and his PH returned to camp to apprise me of the situation. He explained his shot but it sounded like the penetration of the arrow may have been suspect. He was shooting an 85 pound bow with 850 grain arrows and put the arrow in a decent spot. The next morning we took the track and after a few hundred yards, knew that we’d find the buffalo still on his feet. With our trackers Hans & Temba leading, Johnny the PH and I followed as we negotiated the thick, thorn choked seckelbos of the North West. Four miles later and after a minimal blood trail, we found fresh blood in the thickest most dense terrain imaginable. I turned to Johnny and told him, “this is going to be close.” In less than 100 yards our little Jack Russell tracking dog growled just in front of us prompting me to move forward as I was directly behind and trackers. Looking left, I encountered the wounded bull at 14 yards, tucked into a thick thorn bush. As I raised my double he began to move out of bush and after being hit twice from my .470, he managed to stagger to a small opening where Johnny put a 500 grain solid thru his spine, dropping the beast there. A couple of follow up shots finished the job! A bit of excitement for the client…Rob’s buffalo hunt was not as exciting but after stalking to within 26 yards of a great bull, he torqued his grip hard as he shot (admitted to a severe case if buffalo fever) causing the arrow to fishtail off the rest and strike the buffalo in the neck area, out of the kill zone. A quick follow up with a .500 Nitro ended the affair…Two buffalo in the salt the hard way!

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21
First buffalo…arrow penetrated about eight inches and that was it. It broke off behind the shoulder and managed to migrate from there to the stomach continuing to cut the buffalo. This is what attributed to the fresh blood we found four miles onto it. Buffalo are TOUGH! 85 pound bow, 850 grain arrow with a Tuffhead broadhead, arrow shot just behind the crease on a broadside buffalo. Rib encountered…rifle needed to finish the job. When we found the front part of the arrow, the head was perfect. It just didn’t work on this bull.

23-Aug-21
Exciting story and great pictures

23-Aug-21
Can’t seem to get the image tool to work to rotate the photos.

23-Aug-21

They also shot some great plains game.

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21
Thanks for update I head over Saturday

23-Aug-21
Good luck!

23-Aug-21
Nice whitetail!!!!

23-Aug-21
Obviously didn’t post that pic. Bowsite ghost at work.

23-Aug-21
Image tool still not working. Have to tilt your head, lol.

23-Aug-21
Nice bulls and interesting stories. Tks for sharing.

23-Aug-21

Had to cape this one in the bush it was so far in.

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

23-Aug-21

First buff was finally dropped here…far from any roads.

23-Aug-21

Great safari! #weknowbuffalo

23-Aug-21
Another great thread Ken, but I figured no buff was easy ! ;-)

23-Aug-21
Great bulls

• Sitka Gear