Rut Nut 24-Aug-21
DonVathome 25-Aug-21
WV Mountaineer 25-Aug-21
Scar Finga 25-Aug-21
Mule Power 25-Aug-21
70lbdraw 25-Aug-21
Hancock West 26-Aug-21
23-Aug-21
I got several that say made in 2013, would you eat them this year?

23-Aug-21
Yep. You're fine. I think they say they're good for like 30 years or something like that?

23-Aug-21
I thought the same thing, that said I have ones that expire in 2018 that I know I did not buy 20 years ago............

23-Aug-21
Don, I just threw some of mine away that were expired. I figured it isn't worth ruining my hunt over. And, I prefer other brands: Peak, Heathers Choice, ect.

23-Aug-21
Like a fine wine...

23-Aug-21
I have been thinking about that Sivart - but that said manufactured date does not tell me when it expires.......

23-Aug-21
Expiration dates are a joke. Bottled water has an expiration date. Eat it and enjoy the "mush in a bag"

23-Aug-21
Every MH I have ever seen had a expiration date that is measured in multiple decades

23-Aug-21
Don, I had the same question. I was given 17 mt house meals with the ex date of 2018. I called the company and was told, "no problem, Shelf life of 30 years." Good to go

23-Aug-21
Is it Chili Mac?

23-Aug-21
Chili Mac should be outlawed.

23-Aug-21
Jaq- What a lightweight....Chili Mac puts an early AM spring in the step of whover eats it...maybe a gag reflex of the guy walking behind him, but whatever.....

Don- A year or so ago, I pulled out a couple MH meals that I know I bought in 1991 or 2. My boys and I rehydrated 2 of them and sat down and ate them. Then we stared at each other for awhile, waiting for a horrible reaction. Nothing!! Other than the attendant, explosive, disgusting gas, they seemed fine!

23-Aug-21
I think it was another brand, but I tried a few 10-12 yr old meals that hadn't yet reached their exp date and could barely choke them down. It seemed like the spices/flavorings went bad. They might be edible for 30 yrs, but that doesn't mean they're palatable.

23-Aug-21
Chili mac is all you need really.

23-Aug-21
Fix one now and try it before you need to count on it. Then you can still buy new before you leave if you need or desire to.

23-Aug-21
You might want to test one at home. Better to find out at home than on the mountain with no chance to adjust.

23-Aug-21
Good idea guys, I did not think about taste - but i Have learned that things taste a LOT better when you are really hungry. I love spaghetti and meatballs on the mountain. My dad too. We made one once for a family dinner. Undercooked pasta in ketchup. Terrible. I had to try it again a week later - the same. They still taste great on the mountain!

24-Aug-21
I think as long as the seal is not broken, the meal will be fine. I have had one of the ProPak meals in the past where the package got punctured and was not vacuum sealed anymore. I ate it and although the taste was off, I had no adverse reactions or any type of G.I. distress.

25-Aug-21
From MH:

"Thank you for contacting Mountain House.

Our pouches, kits and cans all have a Taste Guarantee of 30 years from the date of manufacture. Novelty items like our ice cream have a 3-year shelf life.

After the 30 years the food doesn’t “go bad” but the quality may start to diminish. You may notice a slight change in flavor or texture, but we've eaten food from both our Adventure Meal™ pouches and Just in Case...® cans that were over 40 years old and they were still tasty!"

25-Aug-21
Eat one and find out. I’m sure they are good. When I was a teenager, we ate MRI’s my dad and uncle got from Vietnam. This was in the late 80’s. Ate them every time we went hunting. Never hurt us. They weren’t freeze dried either.

25-Aug-21
What WV said! We used to do the same thing!

25-Aug-21
Just make sure you eat them in the next 15 years.

25-Aug-21
We like to add fresh roasted green chile to our MH meals. I've been thinking about freeze drying the green chile in ice cube trays, and vacuum sealing it. Seems that we can just drop a chunk of freeze dried green chile into an Individual meal and prepare it as usual. It really adds to the flavor and even gives the meal a bit of a bite of spicy heat!

26-Aug-21
You'll probably be fine and not get sick but my two cents are to toss it in the trash. I'm not eating anything that's 8years old unless I'm starving or in serious financial trouble.

• Sitka Gear