drycreek 29-Aug-21
SDHNTR(home) 29-Aug-21
Jaquomo 29-Aug-21
SDHNTR(home) 29-Aug-21
Jaquomo 29-Aug-21
BULELK1 30-Aug-21
midwest 30-Aug-21
28-Aug-21
I’ve got a Rambo E bike. I also have a 100W solar panel I use for charging my 12v system on my camp trailer. Is there anyway I can rig that solar panel with an adapter or something to charge my ebike? A spare battery is $700! Rambos solar charger is $750! Why is the stuff so ridiculously expensive? I can charge my stinking RV with a solar system for $150, but a damn bicycle charger costs five times that to charge?

28-Aug-21
They charge that (no pun intended) because they can. I guarantee there’s a way to charge your ebike with a solar charger but I don’t know how. Somebody does though.

28-Aug-21
Google solar charging your ebike there’s a couple of good videos Requires a something called a boost converter Not a very expensive part

28-Aug-21
Ok thanks. I don’t want jury rigging and bare wires and alligator clips and such. With my luck I’d start a fire! I need a legit system made for the task.

I have a charge controller and an inverter so I could run it off my truck or other 12v battery, but I’m trying to eliminate that part and charge directly off the solar. So I can do so out in the woods. If that’s possible without redneck engineering.

28-Aug-21
Let us know what you find out. You do have to jury rig an adapter with a plug that fits. I'm in the same boat.

28-Aug-21
Contact one the Rambo dealers, see what they charge for an extra battery. Rambo lists their bikes and accessories much higher than what delers sell them for. I picked up an extra battery when I bought my Krusader, because I got it for $400.

29-Aug-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I used this one on my eBike and on my ePack Wheel

It's a small trickle type but worked well for daily top off or while I parked and went hunting.

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-21
Charging light showed it was charging

29-Aug-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo

29-Aug-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
This is the plug from the panel into the battery to charge

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-21
Redneck engineering doesn’t have to mean problems, that’s what proper connections are for.

29-Aug-21
Rob did you splice that connector together? It looks like you are using an adapter.

29-Aug-21
The ebike people told me it's not good for the battery to top it off every time you ride. That it's way better to get this particular design of lithium ion battery down to between 30-60% before charging, and every few weeks do a near total discharge. They also said to avoid getting to 100%, especially for storing for awhile. I'm no battery expert, just passing on what they said.

29-Aug-21
Yeah Lou, I’ve heard and read the same. Inconvenient PITA! I’m getting increasingly frustrated with the whole E bike experience. They are useful and handy, but the expense in order to get acceptable quality is just insane. Totally illogical. You can buy a real dirt bike for what these stupid things cost! And parts are cheaper. Hell, The best battery available for my damn truck costs half what these bike batteries cost! I just don’t understand it. It’s a freaking bicycle! Is it because all of the Boulder and bay area hippies are just driving up demand? There is a ratio of practicality to expense with these bikes that is just egregiously out of whack.

29-Aug-21
They are exploding in popularity everywhere. I see them all over in town. They are becoming so popular with hunters that one of the organizers of the Colorado Bowhunter Jamboree even proposed adding an ebike race to next year's activities. Edit: this is to replace the endurance shoots where guys run and shoot over a timed course. Used to be really popular. This year, only one contestant.

30-Aug-21
Nate, there is an accessories pack that comes with the panel.

Good luck, Robb

30-Aug-21
"This year, only one contestant."

Did he win?

• Sitka Gear