Jordanathome's embedded Photo
Packed in most of my elk camp this morning and set up. Hoping it is all still there unmolested when I return Weds evening. Found a well beaten trail with fresh rubs between camp and the spring from which I get my water.......so that is encouraging. Good luck to all you killers this season!

29-Aug-21
Left a game cam as overwatch just in case..........

29-Aug-21
Awesome good luck this year buddy!

29-Aug-21
Hope ya don't get any squatters coming in to your camp.

29-Aug-21
Good luck Jordan. Show us rookies how to get it done.

29-Aug-21
Ha Dave.....I am not the one to look up to by far on this Forum....I never kill an elk.

Covered 5 miles and 12K steps and felt like double that today. Ugh.

29-Aug-21
GOOD LUCK!!

29-Aug-21
Hope you have a great hunt and kill one this year Jordan!

29-Aug-21
This is the year Jordan.

29-Aug-21
Good luck Jordan!

29-Aug-21
Have a great hunt! I’ll be checking in to see the pics of your bull.

29-Aug-21
Just spent 6 days chasin elk in Utah. That is some tough country. Freezer is still empty :(

29-Aug-21
Good luck man this is your year! If not tell us about the outtakes!

29-Aug-21
Good luck, 19 days and counting here.

29-Aug-21
16 years since Katrina.......the first year I came elk hunting. I think I missed maybe one or two years along the way. wow

29-Aug-21
Good luck Jordan. I hope to see a grip and grin pic.

29-Aug-21
You’re due, Jordan. Good luck!

30-Aug-21
Good luck!!!

30-Aug-21
Good luck! I just arrived at my area too and gonna hunt deer and scout elk for a week or so until my elk season opens.

Btw, those rubs in your photos are at least a year old. Notice how the trees are already dead and the needles are brown. Fresh rubs would still have green needles on the trees.

30-Aug-21
Good luck BigJ---------->

Pick-a-Spot,

Robb

30-Aug-21
Good luck!

30-Aug-21

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
It’s your time.

30-Aug-21
I'd agree with you Cheesehead, but the rub trees were still limber and were dripping sap. No way they were that way after a year of being dead.

30-Aug-21
I've never seen brown needles on a fresh rub...

31-Aug-21
Unless the elk in that area rub off in May, I would say those are at least a year old :).

Good luck this year!

31-Aug-21
Good luck Jordan!

31-Aug-21
The thing I look for in a fresh rub is the bark that was peeled off sitting on top of the grass and sap that is soft and sticky or no sap at all vs crusty sap. Brown needles are almost always at least a year old. But elk tend to rut in the same areas every year so you probably have a fairly active place. Good luck to you.

31-Aug-21
Hopefully Dirty Mike and the Boys dont find your camp. I heard what they did to that Prius.

31-Aug-21

Destroyer350's Link

31-Aug-21
Good luck ! Not sure on your area but we have some major rain coming in Thursday, be careful. Flash flooding can be a real issue near the burn areas. Might get some snow up higher with our moisture forecast.

31-Aug-21
I am looking forward to some moisture and lower temps. No flash flooding or the like in my area and if it snows below 9000'....well hell yea! I may need to pack another layer........

I am clearly unable to accurately assess a fresh elk rub so kudos to you more experienced hands! I stand corrected.

31-Aug-21
You're in WAYYYYYYY over your head Jordan!! Don't even know you(probably like the others) but honestly you need to just leave the forest and pray you don't slip on the trail back to the Subaru. :)

Just kidding!! Wish you the best during the hunt. I enjoy reading your posts each year so expect the same but maybe with a kill shot this year?!?! Stay safe and shoot straight.

31-Aug-21
"I'd agree with you Cheesehead, but the rub trees were still limber and were dripping sap"

Jordan, I have stubs on some of my treestand trees where I sawed off limbs, that still drip sap after 3 years.

31-Aug-21

There ya go.

I have the coolers (empty for now) packed in the truck along with my spare stove and fuel and spare water filter and backup first aid kit. I work in Denver tomorrow but will stop by the store to load two of my heavy duty coolers with ice on the way home, quick change, last check of the gear in my pack, throw the bow and pack in the truck and off to the mtns.

Thanks to Paul I might have a new buddy to share camp and some of the hunt with....so that is great news in addition to the moister and cooler temps in the forecast.

To be honest, I don't really give a chit if I see or kill and elk this year. I was on the fence to even go. But I'ma going and if I get a chance I will try to capitalize on it. Maybe I'll report out here.......maybe I won't.......dunno yet.

Ya buncha knuckledraggers...........good luck to ya'll!

Did I mention that I love this bar? CHEERS!

31-Aug-21
Good luck and keep us updated with pictures!

31-Aug-21
Hope you have a great hunt!

31-Aug-21
Good luck to you!

31-Aug-21
Jordan,

Get r done this year! Good luck and have fun.

31-Aug-21
Good luck Jordon! At least your still in the game! After 8 years of not scoring my body gave up and I'm just regulated to killing deer in MO your scenery is amazing compared to mine. So please be kind and do another hunt recap with all those pics I will be grateful, thanks a flatlander...

• Sitka Gear