caribou77 01-Sep-21
grossklw 01-Sep-21
backstraps 06-Sep-21
WV Mountaineer 07-Sep-21
LINK 07-Sep-21
sticksender 07-Sep-21
JTreeman 07-Sep-21
30-Aug-21
Been shooting with my pack (EXO 4800), binos, and range finder on and I am not satisfied with my set up or lack there of. I have the Vortex bino strap which is essentially just elastic straps that go around your chest. Good for whitetail but with my heavier western binos they just bounce around a ton and with my pack on the bino straps ride up to my neck. And then for my range finder, it just dangles there and thats not going to work as it bounces around and gets in the way shooting. I did buy the Nock-on magnet for the range finder which might take care of that. If im wearing my jacket i can tuck my range finder into my chest pocket too but without a jacket on, i dont have a chest pocket. Anyways, im sure you guys get the idea. Is this why so many people wear chest packs? I dont really want to wear one because i feel like theyre too bulky and get in the way but Im not sure what the alternatives are. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

30-Aug-21
Check out Stone Glacier's option(s) for bino's and and rangefinder. Pretty compact and light.

30-Aug-21
Marsupial Gear bino harness with a rangefinder pouch accessory. Can either get a tether for the rangefinder or get magnetic clips to attach to the pocket in case you need to drop it quickly without worrying about it falling to the ground. Haven’t had any complaints about it, it’s awesome!

30-Aug-21
Alaska guide gear manages my binos and GPS......my rangefinder is in a pocket or in my chest pocket.

30-Aug-21
I like my kuiu pretty well

30-Aug-21
I’ve used a FHF harness for the past 8 years or so without issue. If I was currently in the market I’d look hard at marsupial gear as I like the way the top of their harness opens away from your chest instead of into it like my FHF. Harnesses look bulky, but really just organize everything out of the way of your shot. Whichever one you choose just make damn sure it matches your camo and pack colors!

30-Aug-21
I like the Sitka bino harness with the 2 pouches for the rangefinder/accessories. I run a 10x42 bino, rangefinder in one small pocket, havalon, flashlight, wind checker puff bottle in the other

30-Aug-21
After trying a few, I landed on Outdoor Vision for binos and rangefinder. Compact, one handed opening/closing, and full protection for my Swaros.

30-Aug-21
Binos a a nuisance when trying to crawl on a stalk. I have several harness but tend to like one where I can swing it under my arm or even onto my back.

30-Aug-21
I’ve enjoyed my Adak system. CamoFire usually has them for pretty cheap.

30-Aug-21
Binos a a nuisance when trying to crawl on a stalk. I have several harness but tend to like one where I can swing it under my arm or even onto my back.

31-Aug-21

BULELK1's Link
This set-up has worked really well for me.

Good luck, Robb

31-Aug-21
I used the FHF system for years and really liked it. This year I’m going to use the KUIU pro harness with my FHF range finder holder. KUIU redesigned their original harness and added independent bino straps so the harness stays secure when you’re using your binos.

31-Aug-21
Does anyone just not run binos on their chest when bow hunting? This is my first year elk hunting so I have no idea but it would seem to me I dont need them if I'm within 100 or even 150 yards of an elk. And if I'm further out, it would be cool to have them somehow on my pack where I could grab them without taking my pack off. That way they are never in the way or on my chest. Then I could just run my range finder around my neck and magnetic clip it to my pack strap.

31-Aug-21
bigwood22 I use my binos so often, having them anywhere but immediately accessible on my chest would not work for me.

31-Aug-21
I have the original Kuiu harness and prefer it over the Pro Kuiu. The original is the least bulky option I have found.

Then I use a FHF rangefinder tether and pouch on my harness. Works well for me. I wear it so much I don't even notice it really

01-Sep-21

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I bought this Alps setup with the rangefinder pocket off Camofire for about $38. I'm using it in Arizona right now while deer hunting. So far no complaints.

01-Sep-21
In answer to your last question, yes I put my Binos on my hipbelt. They fit perfectly in a stone Glacier large belt pouch. I do have to fold them to fit. My binos are meopta meostar 10x42. I hate chest harnesses while bowhunting but do find them handy at times. As for my rangefinder, I use a vortex 1500 and find that clip that comes on them the handiest thing ever.

01-Sep-21

grossklw's embedded Photo
grossklw's embedded Photo
I really like my Adak system. I used to have the horn hunter one Robb mentions above but it was hot as hell. I forgot I had my harness on and cut up my entire elk for what it’s worth.

06-Sep-21
I run the same EXO backpack with the Marsupial bino and rangefinder case. It has perfect pockets for your smoke in a bottle and places to put your mouth reeds. Easy one handed operation.

07-Sep-21
Kifaru pack l, outdoor vision bino harness. It’s low profile and does a great job.

07-Sep-21

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Best pic I have of my buddys badlands.
LINK's embedded Photo
Best pic I have of my buddys badlands.
Sounds like I have the same setup as WV. Outdoor vision bino case and range finder on my kifaru chest strap with a fhf tether. I do like my buddy’s badlands with the rangefinder loading in the bottom though.

07-Sep-21
I don't care for the big bulky chest boxes. My range-finding Leica binos are in a Rick Young form-fitting polyurethane case and supported by his ultralight adjustable harness that weighs no more than a couple ounces.

07-Sep-21
I used to feel similar, didn’t think I needed a bino harness, too bulky, etc. that was when I was younger and dumber. I really think for MOST guys it’s the best method. Obviously they are not real necessary for treestand or blind hunting, and I often don’t use it in those situations . But for western hunting on the ground in varying terrain, weather, physical positions they are the cats back IMO.

There are certainly some big bulky rigs, and I have no interest in them. My current set up is a marsupial gear bino harness and rangefinder pouch. I also really like the Original Kuiu (not so much the new “pro”). I have tried several, but admittedly not all of them. I have not used the outdoor vision, stone glacier, or Adak, but all look pretty nice from what I can tell.

I really never have much trouble with them wearing a pack as long as I don’t buckle the sternum strap over the bino straps. I use the range finder tether, and consider it essential. Range, drop it, shoot. Don’t worry about laying it down, or loosing it, or fumbling to get it back in the pouch.

Lots of good options and many price ranges these days. Happy shopping and hunting!

—Jim

• Sitka Gear